Suggestion: Call Of War buff as a "premium" subscription in WvW — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Suggestion: Call Of War buff as a "premium" subscription in WvW

hobotnicax.7918hobotnicax.7918 Member ✭✭

As we all know, Anet makes the majority of their income from Gem store, where people purchase gems to buy skins etc.
To monetize WvW more and bring in money to fund new WvW features it would be good, in my opinion, if Anet made Call of War buff a "premium" buff.

For $5/5€ one would get (for 1 month):
+100% WXP
+25% WvW Reward Track Progress
+50% Magic Find
Access to Armistice Bastion
Your equipment cannot be damaged (at this point, it should really be removed anyway)

Would it break anything? No. Would it maybe bring in more players to WvW? Perhaps.
I see no downsides to it.

Comments

• @Mechanix.9315 said:
    You can buy boosters in gemstore for the magic find, and the wxp. You can also buy the permanent Armistice Bastion with gems.
    So pretty much its all already in gemstore.

I doubt a lot of WvW players buy the boosters. Most rely on Birthday boosters and Candycorn gobblers.
    Armistice Bastion pass is overpriced at 1000 gems. That's what, 13€? And still, that's like less than 3 months of subscription money, and many buy gems with gold.

• @derd.6413 said:
    would be seen as a P2W cashgrab and have everybody outside of asia abandon the game.

How would it be seen as a P2W cashgrab? What about it is P2W?
    Isn't the mount exactly that? One needs PoF for it. And as you can see, there are queues in WvW that we haven't seen since Season 1 Tournament.

Anet needs money to further develop WvW. For instance 2000 monthly subs would cover 2 extra devs.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you want bonuses, you can buy them already. This is as silly as all the other subscription suggestions. There is a reason why microtransactions actually make people pay more than subs in the end.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@derd.6413 said:
    would be seen as a P2W cashgrab and have everybody outside of asia abandon the game.

How would it be seen as a P2W cashgrab? What about it is P2W?
    Isn't the mount exactly that? One needs PoF for it. And as you can see, there are queues in WvW that we haven't seen since Season 1 Tournament.

Anet needs money to further develop WvW. For instance 2000 monthly subs would cover 2 extra devs.

it's a matter of perspection.
    also anet doesn't need more money

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• @Dawdler.8521 said:
    If you want bonuses, you can buy them already. This is as silly as all the other subscription suggestions. There is a reason why microtransactions actually make people pay more than subs in the end.

Hmm, is that true though? People who spend a lot of money in the Gem store would do that anyway regardless of a monthly "sub". One would still have to buy skins etc. And most of those people are PVE players. How much does Anet really earn from WvW? Servers must not be cheap...
    Why would they "invest" in WvW features if they don't get much back from it? Just look how much content PVE has received over the years and how much WvW. I wonder why.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Hmm, is that true though? People who spend a lot of money in the Gem store would do that anyway regardless of a monthly "sub". One would still have to buy skins etc. And most of those people are PVE players. How much does Anet really earn from WvW? Servers must not be cheap...
    Why would they "invest" in WvW features if they don't get much back from it? Just look how much content PVE has received over the years and how much WvW. I wonder why.

there's better ways to do it then a bare bones sub ""feature"" (like WVW mount skins)

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Who knows?

Point is, buy gems for $5 every month. Buy WvW bonuses for it. Boom there is your subscription. But you know thats not going to be enough for the month, so you're going to pay more. In fact, you cant just buy $5 of gems - $10 is the lowest.

• @Dawdler.8521 said:

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Who knows?

Point is, buy gems for $5 every month. Buy WvW bonuses for it. Boom there is your subscription. But you know thats not going to be enough for the month, so you're going to pay more. In fact, you cant just buy $5 of gems - $10 is the lowest.

I wouldn't make it available through the Gem store though. That would mean people would just spend gold on it, which solves nothing.

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

And how are you going to guarantee that Anet will spend those funds on WvW? Many suggestions were made in the past about helping them. The biggest question was always "What we will get in return?".

Fàther - Create a mount then kill it until it's more useless than PvE. "Smart"
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Jugglemonkey.8741Jugglemonkey.8741 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Who knows?

I wouldn't make it available through the Gem store though. That would mean people would just spend gold on it, which solves nothing.

Where would WvW players get enough gold to buy gems like that on a monthly basis? WvW has always been a gold sink, that's entirely why I buy gems to convert to gold.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.

• Genuinetheo.6591Genuinetheo.6591 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019

$5 a month is some serious lightweight. It's a great buff for WvW players. Don't undervalue it and its potential to really benefit them.

I could see a buff like this going for maybe 3 days at $5, not 30

• they'd probably make more by adding new boosters that give you the buff for a couple hours; at least in the long run.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

So...the only thing truly of value for those that play the mode regularly is the access to armistice bastion. And even that....

I have over 1600 spare ranks. And there are MANY players with more than that, so WxP isn’t a draw to me. The 50% magic find? Meh....

Certainly wouldn’t be interested in this as a sub.

If the bastion called me, I would consider the 1000 gem price first. Would not pay a sub. Ever.

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭

Sure, if there were a sub for Fractals, and another sub for Raids. Only thing you get with the game is open world. Everything else is a la carte.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

@hobotnicax.7918 said:

@Mechanix.9315 said:
    You can buy boosters in gemstore for the magic find, and the wxp. You can also buy the permanent Armistice Bastion with gems.
    So pretty much its all already in gemstore.

I doubt a lot of WvW players buy the boosters. Most rely on Birthday boosters and Candycorn gobblers.
    Armistice Bastion pass is overpriced at 1000 gems. That's what, 13€? And still, that's like less than 3 months of subscription money, and many buy gems with gold.

So ... if they aren't buying the boosters now, why would they buy the one you are suggesting if it shares some of the same things?

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• if the game mode was actually functional, i would have no trouble just buying gems on a fortnightly basis like i used to do.

subscription is a bad idea. because you dont know if the money will be wasted into a a bad $250k esports idea where funny enough, developers dont listen to that community either

• @hobotnicax.7918 said:
    +100% WXP
    +25% WvW Reward Track Progress
    +50% Magic Find

Heroic boosters are 2100 gems (US$35) & grant 40 hours of 50% xp, 50% reward track, 50% magic find (Heroic Booster)

Alternatively 2100 gems is 12.5 hours of the Black Lion Booster: 50% xp (from kills), 25% reward track, 100% mf

Access to Armistice Bastion

1000 gems infinite access, i.e. US$12.50

Your equipment cannot be damaged (at this point, it should really be removed anyway)

Mostly moot anyhow.

tl;dr people can already have this if they want, without feeling compelled to sign up for a subscription

A subscription also has a huge downside of being against everything that the community thinks ANet has stood for, i.e. a no-sub game.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Want an actual monetization idea?

Add skins to guild claims.

How?

Make NPCs that spawn when in an objective have a skin that depends on who claims it. So if your guild has a Wintersday skin active you get golems and NPCs with festive hats etc. stuff like that.

EXP and magic find boosts are unacceptable as subscription bonuses. No matter what, people would feel the need to buy them otherwise they'd be missing out.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• AlexxxDelta.1806AlexxxDelta.1806 Member ✭✭✭

It's funny how similar those subscription "ideas", popping up lately, are. I guess it's true what they say, "whaling' just doesn't feel as satisfying without some p2w to go with it.

• I think maybe 10$ would be fair say for like a monthly buff. I like it, if it brings more to WvW I'm all in on the idea! Great Idea! Don't let the vocal minority drown out the support for Anet!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.