Players mounted on a Warclaw should not be able to cap objectives

Turkeyspit.3965

I was very surprised to learn that you could cap an objective while still mounted. After killing a sentry/camp guards a player can mount almost instantly and then stay in the circle to cap it. This is a terrible design choice for 2 major reasons:

1. If an opponent attempts to intervene and attack, the player can flee on the mount.
  2. More seriously, again if an enemy attempts to intervene, the player now has an additional 11,000 health from the mount.

If you are trying to capture an objective you should be committed, which should also carry with it some risk. Being able to quickly flee with an 11,000 health buffer doesn't seem right to me. You cannot capture a point while stealthed, so I don't understand why you are allowed to do so while mounted.

Seems a reasonable request.

Though a few people have mentioned that due to the speed of mounts, it's much more likely that a player will be jumped on before they can get out of combat.

However, even if being mounted prevented capping objectives, as an attacker one would need to get the jump on the player before they are noticed, because mounting up and zapping away would be all too quick.

So I am not sure this alone would be enough.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:Ok, then players can't contest the objective while immune or inv or evading so the rest of the zerg can get there. The things you all cry about. Somebody who didn't want to 1 vs 1 gets away now or has the option to get away. Then just get in the circle on your mount and play a game of chicken to see who gets off theirs first while the objective doesn't get capped.

You should scroll up and read @Cristalyan.5728 's post.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:Ok, then players can't contest the objective while immune or inv or evading so the rest of the zerg can get there. The things you all cry about. Somebody who didn't want to 1 vs 1 gets away now or has the option to get away. Then just get in the circle on your mount and play a game of chicken to see who gets off theirs first while the objective doesn't get capped.

It seems you don't understand. Imunity / invulnerability / evading are part of a player build. He sacrifices something in exchange for these defences. But on a mount? You have the upper hand no matter how. And the attackers using the mount is not solving the problem. They cannot attack you with more efficiency than dismounted.

And if he dont't want to 1vs1 then who can force it to not leave the site? It seems that even if he don't want a 1vs1 he can troll now =)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I was very surprised to learn that you could cap an objective while still mounted. After killing a sentry/camp guards a player can mount almost instantly and then stay in the circle to cap it. This is a terrible design choice for 2 major reasons:

1. If an opponent attempts to intervene and attack, the player can flee on the mount.
  2. More seriously, again if an enemy attempts to intervene, the player now has an additional 11,000 health from the mount.

If you are trying to capture an objective you should be committed, which should also carry with it some risk. Being able to quickly flee with an 11,000 health buffer doesn't seem right to me. You cannot capture a point while stealthed, so I don't understand why you are allowed to do so while mounted.

If they flee, they lose the objective. Further, if they sit on the mount they can't capture the objective because you're preventing it. What would be the advantage of sitting on your mount, not capturing an objective while another player auto attacks you until you get dismounted?

@Cristalyan.5728 said:I will add to this that a player should be not able to contest an objective if mounted. Think at a large camp circle (I mean large) and a mounted player leaping through. At his speed it is hard to dismount him, and as you know he has 3 invulnerable leaps.

And then what? He rides away and you continue to capture the objective? So what? Ultimately, if your goal is to capture or prevent a capture, you are going to have to fight. This idea of sitting around on your mount as an advantage in this scenario is complete nonsense.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:I will add to this that a player should be not able to contest an objective if mounted. Think at a large camp circle (I mean large) and a mounted player leaping through. At his speed it is hard to dismount him, and as you know he has 3 invulnerable leaps.

And then what? He rides away and you continue to capture the objective? So what? Ultimately, if your goal is to capture or prevent a capture, you are going to have to fight. This idea of sitting around on your mount as an advantage in this scenario is complete nonsense.

Yes, sitting on your mount is nonsense - you cannot prevent the capture. But what about running on your mount inside the circle (not in towers/keeps - the circle is small. But in camps? The circle for some camps is huge). What do you think? You can prevent the capture by endlessly contesting it. You have superior speed / 3 invulnerable leaps / cannot be cc-ed. With a little practice you can keep 3-4-5 players from capturing a camp forever.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

Yes,
sitting
on your mount is nonsense - you cannot prevent the capture. But what about
running
on your mount inside the circle (not in towers/keeps - the circle is small. But in camps? The circle for some camps is huge). What do you think? You can prevent the capture by endlessly contesting it. You have superior speed / 3 invulnerable leaps / cannot be cc-ed. With a little practice you can keep 3-4-5 players from capturing a camp forever.

How? If you're inside the circle where you'd need to be if you're going to contest it, those 3-4-5 players only have to deal 11k damage to dismount you. You can leap and run around for a few seconds, but a few hits will dismount you. At that point you either have to fight or run to disengage distance, then return. In either case, you cannot endlessly contest a capture this way.

You already can't contest while invuln. ._.

Bunker specs (esp. druids and weavers) were always able to prevent large camp circle captures via kiting. Firebrands could just outheal the damage of most roamers.

How often do you guys even play WvW? Thew mount did not add anything which wasn't possible before. It's now just possible for everyone. And that's great. People have to play way more strategic now. There is much less one sided cheese in the game mode now.

Mount has no toughness and players are easily dismounted.. 11K health really isn't anything special, I've dismounted several players attempting to flee from me and killed them.. i've also shot players out of the sky on their gliders and likewise I've been on the reciving end of it as well.

It's not hard to ambush a mounted player and dismount them.. specially with a good ranged weapon which many often ignore for a pure melee meta build which is something I've never understood as pure melee in this game feels more like a handicap to me regardless of how good the build is in melee.

If a mounted player runs away and you've no range ability to stop him then sorry but as far as i'm concerned that's a flaw with your build.. and if that bothers you so much then change it up a little and find a way to counter the problem.

End of the day a mounted player in your territory is going to be at a disadvantage.. you can easily chase him down on your own, faster warclaw.. matching his jumps with your own.

I do think Warclaws engage skill needs an additional ability that deals bonus damage to mounted players in their territory.. thus when your Warclaw pounces on an invading Warclaw in your territory you should be dealing huge damage to their Warclaw if not dismounting them in a single hit which adds risk to the fleeing invader.

Either risk getting dismounted by trying to dodge the engage attack..Success will give you an opening to flee.Failure means dismount, stunned and likely killed before you've had a chance to recover.. unless you counter with stunbreak.

Or dismount prematurely and attempt to dismount the pursuer before he can engage you.. or dodge his engage skill.Success naturally means a potentially easy kill.. unless they counter with a stunbreak, possibly even remount and run if you were able to avoid getting locked in combat.Failure means a fight where you'll probably be wounded and at a disadvantage before you've dented the enemy's HP bar.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:There is much less one sided cheese in the game mode now.That's true - the cheese will be more or less everywhere now :P

He makes a valid point though. Since ANET was unable or unwilling to deal with that 'cheese', giving everyone a mount does level it out a bit. We're also only working from 4 days of experience here. A month from now we might all very different views of the mount and WvW in general.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:There is much less one sided cheese in the game mode now.That's true - the cheese will be more or less everywhere now :P

He makes a valid point though. Since ANET was unable or unwilling to deal with that 'cheese', giving everyone a mount does level it out a bit. We're also only working from 4 days of experience here. A month from now we might all very different views of the mount and WvW in general.

Marking this down.

Don’t worry. Within 30 days we’ll see the same number of complaints about the ‘cheese’ builds.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Marking this down.

Don’t worry. Within 30 days we’ll see the same number of complaints about the ‘cheese’ builds.

Just for the record, there was no wager extended with this question, and no money / gold / precursors / legendary items were offered as potential prizes. ;)

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Marking this down.

Just for the record, there was a wager extended with this question for money / gold / precursors / legendary items as potential prizes. ;)

Gee thanks!

?

@Handin.4032 said:How is this any different than contesting with golems? Other than people can build multiple golems and keep them near the camp to keep contesting?

One is a mount, one is a sieged mount. One is mobile, the other is not. Mount can keep up it's kiting and dodging, the golem will eventually run out of hp due to slowness. Just try kiting someone with a mount in NC, you can see how easy it is just to keep trolling someone in the camp while the ring is up.

Mounts will be as much part of builds and tactics,as anything else .People will just need to learn how to use,how to not use and how to counter .Instead of screaming after a few hours nerf this nerf that .Its the old saying "adapt or ...".Your unwillingness to adapt or try to adept is more telling than any of the complaints that are claimed about mounts.

Archived