The utility of the warclaw in the PvE environnement.

Before I get slaughtered by a tsunami of "It ain't meant for PvE BOI", let me suggest this :

Dont increase it's speed, or anything other than the following : its health. Let's say by 100%.

Its utility wouldn't be speed or its attack, but rather, its tankyness and the safety it would so provide while traveling.

I perfectly understand that it is an absolutly unnecessary change, I just thought I could suggest a thing...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is happening right now, I guarantee it:

• PvE-only players posting on the forums: "why does WvW get a mount with utility and we don't? It makes no sense and it isn't fair"
  • ANET Developer reading the forums, thinking: "sigh, I knew we shouldn't have made Warclaw useable in PvE
  • Reasonable GW2 players reading the forums, thinking: "sigh, this is why we can't have nice things"
  • sPvP-only players reading the forums, thinking: "lolmounts. Ok now, was I supposed to sandbag this round or the next one? Should double check my discord"

OK ok ok, that was a cheap shot at the sPvP players, I know they don't all use discord... B)

Not meaning to slaughter you, but "It ain't meant for PvE BOI" is the correct answer. If it had any utility for PvE over the other mounts the toxic PvE folk would qq ven harder that they're "forced to WvW" for something. So I'm fine it being the way it is, i.e. practically useless in PvE in comparison to the other mounts.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Deimos.4263" said:People have been asking for a "basic" mount in PvE and the warclaw sort of double-bills as that.

What exactly does that mean, "basic" mount?Raptor vs. Warclaw, how is the Warclaw a "basic" mount while the Raptors isn't?

Some people want a no-frills mount that core-only or HoT-only players can access.(Yes, they are forgetting that mounts are a selling point of PoF and thus ANet is unlikely to be interested in spending the resources to make it happen.)

@"killfil.3472" said:Dont increase it's speed, or anything other than the following : its health. Let's say by 100%.Its utility wouldn't be speed or its attack, but rather, its tankyness and the safety it would so provide while traveling.

I perfectly understand that it is an absolutly unnecessary change, I just thought I could suggest a thing...If it's "absolutely unnecessary," what's the incentive for ANet to spend the effort to invest in making these changes?

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't understand why it needs any utility in PvE. What's wrong with having something that's only useful in WvW?Exactly.

I think it was meant for WvW and they also made it possible to use it outside so you can take your lovely screen shots and do RP with it. It wasn't meant as an addition to your range of PvE mounts in the sense of utility. That's why it doesn't have it. Just get over it really.

It's utility is that you can obtain it without having to play upto PoF tbh.

For a new player buying PoF you can just go into WvW and get a Warclaw to play the base game with to avoid skipping ahead for the Raptor.

My only real issue with it is that you need PoF to obtain it..In all honesty I think the Warclaw should be a core game mount and not require PoF but that's just me.

The Warclaw is already one of the fastest mounts, topped only by the RollerBeetle in pure run speed.

What sets it apart, and designates it as "basic", is it doesn't have a movement skill/ability. Raptor can Leap for bursts of speed, Beetle has its downhill Charge, Jackal can Teleport uphill and past obstacles, etc... but Warclaw is just "pretty fast". Perfect for WvW, but "okay" in PvE.

To address the suggestion specifically: Even with lots of HP, the Warclaw could never surpass a kitted-out Raptor in terms of travel safety. A fully Mastered Jackal adds evasion to each mount's movement ability, which means the Raptor can simply Leap away from (or through) enemy clusters mostly-invulnerably, while the Warclaw is always stuck taking damage (and CC). (The Skimmer is technically safer, with its long, evasive Glides AND high HP, but its slower overland speed can make escaping difficult.)

@"killfil.3472" said:Before I get slaughtered by a tsunami of "It ain't meant for PvE BOI", let me suggest this :

Dont increase it's speed, or anything other than the following : its health. Let's say by 100%.

Its utility wouldn't be speed or its attack, but rather, its tankyness and the safety it would so provide while traveling.

I perfectly understand that it is an absolutly unnecessary change, I just thought I could suggest a thing...

Isn't its HP already the highest of the mounts? I'm pretty sure it has more HP than my main.

@Teratus.2859 said:It's utility is that you can obtain it without having to play upto PoF tbh.

For a new player buying PoF you can just go into WvW and get a Warclaw to play the base game with to avoid skipping ahead for the Raptor.

My only real issue with it is that you need PoF to obtain it..In all honesty I think the Warclaw should be a core game mount and not require PoF but that's just me.

I honestly wish this has been available for my second account

@Teratus.2859 said:It's utility is that you can obtain it without having to play upto PoF tbh.

It would probably be faster to find someone to run through the first step of the PoF story than the 8 hours it takes for warclaw reward track.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

It would probably be faster to find someone to run through the first step of the PoF story than the 8 hours it takes for warclaw reward track.

For sure, although if you had an issue with skipping ahead and spoiling story for yourself then the Warclaw is a good option to avoid that.

According to the testing from The Bandicoot, the Warclaw is as slow as the Skimmer's land speed, slower than even a springer. With leaps, it's still just a little faster than springer or skimmer on land.

Using leaps/abilities, the raptor & jackal are roughly 30% faster, the skimmer on water is near 50% quicker.

I have to say honestly that I don't get it why PvE players (I am myself one) are close to obsessed with the warclaw. There are 6 PvE mounts. Why is it such a problem that one unique mount does exist, that is not matching for PvE? Sorry, I really mean no offense in any way, but I really don't see the issue. The other 6 are not enough?

@"lokh.2695" said:Not meaning to slaughter you, but "It ain't meant for PvE BOI" is the correct answer. If it had any utility for PvE over the other mounts the toxic PvE folk would qq ven harder that they're "forced to WvW" for something. So I'm fine it being the way it is, i.e. practically useless in PvE in comparison to the other mounts.

I think the op made a good and thoughtful suggestion, but this is the problem really. Ppl complain about gob enough as it is. If the warclaw was actually useful, I can only imagine . . .

I honestly think the "dullness" of the warclaw is why I've been using it in PvE so much. New shiny aside, mounts (especially after you get griffon) really diminish the scale of core and HoT maps (to say nothing for obsoleting most of HoT movement masteries). I know it seems regressive, but I've always been attracted to GW and GW2 because of the lack of flash (recent particle barf additions of the last year aside) compared to other MMOs.

It might make me weird, but I like how clean and easy going it is to ride on and while somewhat self handicapping in a small way brings a certain sense of scale I've come to miss back in to the game.

Archived