Easy way to dismount players

Jugglemonkey.8741

Play Condi.

Seriously, it's got an 11k health bar with no cleanse on the mounted skills, you don't even need to apply much condi to get them dismounted. I put doom and geomancy on my P/D set, starting on shortbow and simply stealing (with poison and confusion on steal), weapon swapping for sigils and using P/D 3 for distance dismounts a player in 5 seconds for minimal effort. Don't need CC at all.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DemonSeed.3528 said:That's cool, but I don't think the others have tools like a sbow5 and steal (with traits), they may have it a bit harder but most likely have to spec into full condi and there are people that despise it.

Sure, people may not like it. That doesn't stop it from being extremely effective at dismounting people though, and I'd be surprised if you didn't see scourges swapping back to condi in order to force dismounts in WvW blobs and deny instant stomps. Assuming another workaround doesn't get found to deal with mounted groups anyways.

@Eramonster.2718 said:Gratz! You killed a mount. How many attempts was made? Success rate and was this on enemy territory?

How did it go after? Cds & initiatives was spent with 9sec cd on weapon swap.

100% success rate assuming they don't dodge the attack, landing it means a guaranteed dismount. The combo described pretty much instantly applies 6 poison, 3 bleed, 6 confusion and 4 torment stacks with high durations on the poison and bleeds, so whether they're in their own territory is irrelevant as the attack is practically instant cast. Mounts have no cleanse and only 11k health, so they're basically perfect targets for a condi bomb. Afterwards, well, it's a condi build, I'm sure I don't have to explain that bit.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:That's cool, but I don't think the others have tools like a sbow5 and steal (with traits), they may have it a bit harder but most likely have to spec into full condi and there are people that despise it.

Sure, people may not like it. That doesn't stop it from being extremely effective at dismounting people though, and I'd be surprised if you didn't see scourges swapping back to condi in order to force dismounts in WvW blobs and deny instant stomps. Assuming another workaround doesn't get found to deal with mounted groups anyways.

I'll definitely try it out, I'm testing out on all classes and trying to find the effectiveness of each. I haven't been able to see whether scourges have changed back because it's really messy fights in zergs atm though I did come across one an hour ago that dumped a whole condi burst on my rev while I was trying to cap a sentry that dismounted me when I was not paying attention.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:With Soulbeast + Longbow you will dismount every player if he is in a range of 1500. Rapid fire + 2 Auto or with quickness and he will be down in 3 sec

Many tried :smiley: didn't go very well, especially to them after skills on cd. 3 leaps with 4th leap 1-2 seconds after the 3rd, use the terrain to LoS. Re-enter friendly territory to drop pursue.

Tried dismounting players with warrior, mirage, deadeye and soulbeast, all unreliable.

100% success rate assuming they don't dodge the attack

OP dismounted a player, but what was the distance when the mount dies? Did OP secure the kill with cds down? (OP just burned a strong opening just to dismount the opponent).

@"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:Play Condi.

Seriously, it's got an 11k health bar with no cleanse on the mounted skills, you don't even need to apply much condi to get them dismounted. I put doom and geomancy on my P/D set, starting on shortbow and simply stealing (with poison and confusion on steal), weapon swapping for sigils and using P/D 3 for distance dismounts a player in 5 seconds for minimal effort. Don't need CC at all.

Of course, I will immediately rebuild my classes and all the builds that are geared to power to condition damage, just so that I can get my opponents off the mount. Great idea. Many thanks for the hint!

After a few minutes I could laugh heartily about the joke. :p

Seriously, it's more about making it clear to Arenanet that the warclaw needs "improvements", a meaningful revision and/or additional skills, so that you can't avoid every expected fight almost 100% (solo and small group related).

This is already discussed in a forum post created for this purpose. Visit, participate as needed (and vote). See (it's a link, click): WARCLAW improvement - what is your opinion on ... ?

o/

Condi that you put on mounts isn't cleared when the player gets forcefullly dismounted or dismounts themselves - therefore if you run a Condi build, you should be able to deal with the player you just dismounted and killing them will take a little longer than normal because of the CDs you used on the mount. So unless they run a cleanse on weapon swap (War passive is a great example) they will still be in combat and have Condi on them and to top it off, they either have to stun-break or eat Condi for 2 seconds before they get off the floor if forcefully dismounted.

@Eramonster.2718 said:Gratz! You killed a mount. How many attempts was made? Success rate and was this on enemy territory?

How did it go after? Cds & initiatives was spent with 9sec cd on weapon swap.

I think Juggle is implying that the Warclaw encourages more condi T/B + Dire builds for roamers who previously ran mostly power builds. A solution an overwhelming majority of roamers don't want to see...

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Play Condi.

I can confirm that a condi bomb dismounts players easily.The condi stacks also gets transferred from the mount to the players so the condi continues ticking on the player.Was watching hobo stream on his condi herald earlier. Catches mounts easily and drags players off easily while the condi continues ticking on the player.

Condi is indeed nice to dismount, but you still have to catch him, which is not easy with 3 (4) dodges in a row. On the other Hand, as Long as he is on the Mount he cannot do anything, so, you can either simply follow him, provoking a stalemate until a zerg arrives, or you can walk away. If you Encounter a perma stealth thief, you would do the same anyway right?^^

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Catches mounts easily
Catches

Easily

Last I did a proper condi bomb, I got 25k burns in on a mounted player by the bridge on SW ABL running full speed past. By the time he had been dismounted, he was just by the northern part of the tower while I was still rounding the southern part trying to easily catch him.

I hope you're not talking about mesmer torch because that stopped being a condi bomb a while ago. Unless your idea of a condi bomb is to wait 15s+ for it to actually work.

@EmeraldNight.4307 said:you see the problem?

It's really not my problem if you can't deal with something random dodging an instant cast attack from stealth (which is how I normally use it). If you're saying dodges make a strategy unviable and therefore pointless, I'd suggest you go ahead and uninstall now and save yourself the annoyance :)

@Eramonster.2718 said:OP dismounted a player, but what was the distance when the mount dies? Did OP secure the kill with cds down? (OP just burned a strong opening just to dismount the opponent).

Usually not far, given I run dash so I'm not that much slower than the mounts anyways, and the condis from the opening are still ticking on the player as they are dismounted. The player is also knocked down for 2s, so unless they happen to have a cleansing sigil handy, I force a stunbreak and a cleanse for use of steal and weapon swap, I still have full ini and all my utilities ready to use. Also, half the time I kill mounts it's someone trying to be clever and contest a camp I'm capping, so fighting over objectives they want helps too.

@"Metzie.9083" said:Of course, I will immediately rebuild my classes and all the builds that are geared to power to condition damage, just so that I can get my opponents off the mount. Great idea. Many thanks for the hint!

After a few minutes I could laugh heartily about the joke. ::pensive:

If you ignore a strategy that works for the sake of pride, you can't really complain if you have trouble with them. Just saying.

Seriously, it's more about making it clear to Arenanet that the warclaw needs "improvements", a meaningful revision and/or additional skills, so that you can't avoid every expected fight almost 100% (solo and small group related).

I'm not interested in improving Warclaw, because it's not a numbers issue. Unless you force a dismount upon taking damage of any sort, you will have players using it to avoid fights. I'm interested in killing it, and condi does that job very nicely.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Catches

Easily

Last I did a proper condi bomb, I got 25k burns in on a mounted player by the bridge on SW ABL running full speed past. By the time he had been dismounted, he was just by the northern part of the tower while I was still rounding the southern part trying to easily catch him.

You need a build with a high tick, so ideally your burn plus some more sources of condis. Poison from steal or from a single needle trap will dismount a player on my build, but we're talking 12-15s to do it, so poison on it's own wouldn't cut it without the bleeds and torment.

@Turk.5460 said:I think Juggle is implying that the Warclaw encourages more condi T/B + Dire builds for roamers who previously ran mostly power builds. A solution an overwhelming majority of roamers don't want to see...

This is true, a lot of people dislike condi builds. Personally I don't have a problem running condi as it's still more interesting to fight and play than perma stealth DE, although that still has it's uses. I've played power, condi and hybrid builds pretty evenly since vanilla, and I don't see a reason to not use a build when it's effective for a purpose.

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:Condi is indeed nice to dismount, but you still have to catch him, which is not easy with 3 (4) dodges in a row. On the other Hand, as Long as he is on the Mount he cannot do anything, so, you can either simply follow him, provoking a stalemate until a zerg arrives, or you can walk away. If you Encounter a perma stealth thief, you would do the same anyway right?^^

That's why I use objectives and choke points to force fights, or use needle traps and shadow traps in a chokepoint to dismount and port to the target. There's a way around most things, if you think it through :)

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Play Condi.

Seriously, it's got an 11k health bar with no cleanse on the mounted skills, you don't even need to apply much condi to get them dismounted. I put doom and geomancy on my P/D set, starting on shortbow and simply stealing (with poison and confusion on steal), weapon swapping for sigils and using P/D 3 for distance dismounts a player in 5 seconds for minimal effort. Don't need CC at all.On P/D+SB you could also unmount someone on bersker gear...

...or on any teef build.

Or on ranger...

What a coincidence that these are the top 2 of roaming specs.

@thread:What spec is able to condibomb these days? None! And that's great! A mounted player must be pretty stupid to get condibombed.

The only reliable way is to play smart and outmobilize and burst the mounted player. And that's also great.

The more I get into the mechanic the more I like it. You have to make smart decissions. Stay on the mount and grant your team a fast stomp? Then you can't contribute to the fight. Leave the mount before your target does? You risk getting outrunned.

I don't see any need for an unmount ability. And what's the problem with adding rangers and thieves to the group for unmounting? Even revs can do a phase traversal burst combo.

@Godling.2473 said:

Catches

Easily

I hope you're not talking about mesmer torch because that stopped being a condi bomb a while ago. Unless your idea of a condi bomb is to wait 15s+ for it to actually work.Lol mesmer torch. I'm talking about blowtorch, extra confusion from static shot helps too (its unlikely you have time to get anything else in, except maybe another 5k burn from incendiary). Point is its enough damage to drop a mount in about 5s from one of the highest single condi attacks that exist in the game.

And thats 5s too long if you want to actually fight your target because you're in combat and they are still running away twice as fast.

I hate Condi builds, always have, nothing will change my mind or opinion on this but i run Warrior solo roaming (Not saying we don't have our issues before that starts), but they really don't have much in the way of Condi so tbh, if someone wants a fight, they'll fight me, if not, they carry on their merry way and that's that. It's not ideal because i want to fight people to test my ability against a variety of classes and for the odd giggle when a zerg trains me just because i went near a Sentry. ;)

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

@"Metzie.9083" said:Of course, I will immediately rebuild my classes and all the builds that are geared to power to condition damage, just so that I can get my opponents off the mount. Great idea. Many thanks for the hint!

After a few minutes I could laugh heartily about the joke. ::pensive:

If you ignore a strategy that works for the sake of pride, you can't really complain if you have trouble with them. Just saying.

After this answer I will do one thing, and that is to ignore such above-average intelligent comments and answers .... Why? That's because some here don't think two meters (2,19 yards) further before they write something ... that's even rudimentarily worth continuing the conversation sensibly.

So you really believe that every player should play condition damage just to kick opponents off a mount. So that's your suggestion, huh? :p The question doesn't need an answer (because there won't be any more feedback).

At the end, one should be said. The current grievance regarding the warclaw is not first and foremost due to the players themselves to completely question and change their own style of play, but rather to the developers and people in charge, who integrate something into the game (without having tested it extensively, among others by the players themselves), which they then assume at best that it works and that most of them are satisfied with it. ANet mainly works according to the "eat or die" principle. Say, accept it, be happy about it or let it be (more or less pvp/wvw related). Unfortunately more sad than pleasant.

WARCLAW improvement - what is your opinion on ... ?

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:With Soulbeast + Longbow you will dismount every player if he is in a range of 1500. Rapid fire + 2 Auto or with quickness and he will be down in 3 sec

You're blowing longbow skills and probably a utility to shoot them off their mount which will put you at less of advantage going into the ensuing fight, but I have succeeded on this.100% of the time? No, they have three dodges and move faster than I -- but I have been successful.

If anything I wish the mount 1 skill dismounted other players so that each player could start on a level plain. I know starting in melee range isn't exactly the best scenario for most rangers, but it think that change would be better for the game overall?

~ Kovu

It does work, but condi tends to be shorter range than power, so you're already at a disadvantage in that you have to:

• catch up with the opponent
  • dismount yourself
  • hit them with a condi bomb (assuming they're still in range - they're still mounted, remember)
  • run after them - they're mounted, you're not, and they can dismount and keep running when their mount's health gets low.

By this point, you're far far behind them unless you have crazy thief mobility. You might catch them in your territory, but not in theirs. The speed advantage is too much to overcome.

It'd be different if you could CC the mounts to stop them from running while the condi ticks, but you can't.

Archived