Please make scepter's auto-attack homing

mrauls.6519

A much better quality of life change would be if ArenaNet got rid of the slow moving projectiles entirely and rework the auto attack so that it shoots beams similar to elementalist's Arc Lightning, mesmer's Spatial Surge and even guardian's downed state auto attack Wrath. Wrath is more fitting in my opinion as it shares certain similarities like the 900 attack range, but it can hit up to 3 targets and it would be great if it also applied burning on enemies.

Guardian's scepter auto attack doesn't feel right. I dislike using it scepter because of it. it feels floaty, flimsy and slow.

They should replace the auto attack on scepter to a beam like our downstate 1 skill.So it looks and behaves more like Mesmar's Greatsword skill 1 and Druid's Staff 1 skill.

Or give it a chain combo attack like the guardian's staff got and make it like how mesmar's scepter is.

@crazyhusky.2985 said:Guardian's scepter auto attack doesn't feel right. I dislike using it scepter because of it. it feels floaty, flimsy and slow.

They should replace the auto attack on scepter to a beam like our downstate 1 skill.So it looks and behaves more like Mesmar's Greatsword skill 1 and Druid's Staff 1 skill.

Or give it a chain combo attack like the guardian's staff got and make it like how mesmar's scepter is.

I would be careful with like staff though. Staff auto is even worse than scepter in PvP. Is it chain or not does not matter as long as the overall damage remains the same. And of course, it can hit moving enemies.

@otto.5684 said:

I would be careful with like staff though. Staff auto is even worse than scepter in PvP. Is it chain or not does not matter as long as the overall damage remains the same. And of course, it can hit moving enemies.

Staff and Scepter are very different weapons. I wouldn't start comparing them in the first place.Staff auto is great for what it's supposed to do, and certainly better than the old auto.

And @Turkeyspit.3965 , I don't think it is but I'm not sure either. Certainly doesn't say anything in the tooltip.

@Yannir.4132 said:

Staff and Scepter are very different weapons. I wouldn't start comparing them in the first place.Staff auto is great for what it's supposed to do, and certainly better than the old auto.

And @"Turkeyspit.3965" , I don't think it is but I'm not sure either. Certainly doesn't say anything in the tooltip.

I can't say for positive either, but I noticed in the revision notes of the wiki (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orb_of_Wrath))

April 15, 2014Fixed an issue in which some projectiles wouldn't respect reflection and blocking bubbles.

I do fractals mainly on my Guardian, and I am almost positive that when I tried to use my Scepter on the Jade Colossus in Solid Ocean Fractal (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Veteran_Jade_Colossus) the cotton balls bounced back at me.

Should grab a warrior or ele friend and test it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with those that feel like the animation feels strange. At the same time, it is pretty rapid-fire, so the kinds of animations on other scepters would probably not look right either.

In PvE, I actually like the mechanics, which make it a little less brain-dead to use. It forces a natural tradeoff of fairly high speed (i.e. hits fairly hard, stacks fairly well) with having to line shots up so your target is isolated and you're cutting off their movement angles. Sort of the opposite of piercing weapons in one sense. In PvP, I can understand it could be very frustrating, since jinking can avoid it. (Not a PvP'er, but I wonder to what extent the jinking disadvantages the opponent.)

I think auto-homing or a beam would require other tradeoffs that might make things worse.

@CptAurellian.9537 said:I'd expect a rather heavy price tag for making the attack homing, non-projectile or whatever else, i.e. substantially reduced damage. In that case, I certainly prefer it as it is right now.

Mmm.. I am almost certain that all projectiles in the game are homing with the exception of very few (and not by design) and unless blocked or reflected are meant to always hit the target. The fact that scepter design does not, is a technical issue, not a design balance.

Regardless of what you think of scepter performance, you cannot balance a weapon around being technically dysfunctional.

@otto.5684 said:

@CptAurellian.9537 said:I'd expect a rather heavy price tag for making the attack homing, non-projectile or whatever else, i.e. substantially reduced damage. In that case, I certainly prefer it as it is right now.

Mmm.. I am almost certain that all projectiles in the game are homing with the exception of very few (and not by design) and unless blocked or reflected are meant to always hit the target. The fact that scepter design does not, is a technical issue, not a design balance.

Regardless of what you think of scepter performance, you cannot balance a weapon around being technically dysfunctional.

On the contrary. Quite a lot of projectiles I can think of are non-homing, so it's not a technical issue. Many are just faster, which means they'll hit regardless of target movement. Anyway, I'm not against improving the scepter AA, as long is it does not result in a damage nerf in any PvE-related case.

Archived