How do I disable/cancel WvW team chat?

Dumb question, but. Is there a way to cancel team chat once I've left WvW?

Like many people who only dip into WvW now and again, needing to earn my Warclaw (so that I actually stand a chance of keeping up when I do dip) in has resulted in me spending quite a bit more time than usual running around in a squad over the past few days. What's puzzling me, though, is that I'm finding that I carry on receiving Team chat messages long after I've left (at least, I presume it's team chat - messages have prefixes such as [T][EBG], where EBG is clearly Eternal Battlegrounds, and I assume T to be Team). It's not a big deal, but it's a couple of years or more since I did much WvW, I don't remember seeing that in the past, and I like to keep my chat window limited as much as is practical to stuff that's relevant to what I'm currently doing. Is there any way to cancel it once I'm done, short of disabling it entirely in the chat window? If there's anything about it in the wiki, I can't find it.

If you're not on a WvW map you shouldn't be getting messages in Team chat. (Note: Armistice Bastion, the new pass area, does count as WvW so you will see Team chat there.) Any messages sent while you were in WvW will still show in your chat window after you leave but you won't get any new ones. It also doesn't have tags to show the map (unless your server is very organised and people remember to type them manually when starting a message), as far as I know only Guild chat has tags before the message.

On that basis I recommend checking it definitely is Team chat you're seeing. On that channel the speakers name is in red and the text is white, so if it's any other colours it's not team chat. You could also check by disabling it on your current tab and then waiting to see if the messages stop. If not try turning it back on and disabling each other channel one at a time until you find the one the messages are coming from.

If it is Team chat and it carries on happening when you're not in WvW and after you've disabled it and turned it back on I think you'll have to contact Support because that sounds like a bug. But since Team chat is only used in WvW you could also keep it switched off without causing yourself any problems...at least until you go back into WvW and want to see it.

@"Danikat.8537" said:It also doesn't have tags to show the map (unless your server is very organised and people remember to type them manually when starting a message), as far as I know only Guild chat has tags before the message.You're wrong here. Team chat does show which map the person talking is on (GBL/BBL/RBL/EBG/OS) if you have chat channel labels enabled.

OP, you can turn team chat on and off by checking/unchecking the team chat channel in your chat window settings. Click the down arrow to the left of your chat panel name to access the corresponding settings.

There is one bug with team chat: if you log out of wvw (or are kicked by the game for being afk), team chat will keep sending as long as you stay in the character select screen. You'll be able to see all of the messages the next time you log in a character (unless you close the game client first).

@Rasimir.6239 said:There is one bug with team chat: if you log out of wvw (or are kicked by the game for being afk), team chat will keep sending as long as you stay in the character select screen. You'll be able to see all of the messages the next time you log in a character (unless you close the game client first).

Hmm. That could easily fit what I was seeing; after the event it's inevitably hard to remember with clarity, but I could well have been in character select for a while; I'd simply noticed that I had messages for more than half an hour after I'd finished my WvW session. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

@"Blocki.4931" said:In your different chat tabs you can click on the small arrow and then uncheck which chat you don't want to see.

Yes, I realise that. I'd prefer not to be editing my chat options all the time; too easy to forget to reset them. Sounds like it could be a known bug I was seeing - I was getting messages for quite a long time after leaving WvW, but it's possible I was sitting at character select during that period.

(If it really becomes annoying, I can always start another chat tag called "WvW" and set it accordingly. Then all I need to do is click on the one I want, to toggle stuff off and on and ignore the rest.)

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:It also doesn't have tags to show the map (unless your server is very organised and people remember to type them manually when starting a message), as far as I know only Guild chat has tags before the message.You're wrong here. Team chat does show which map the person talking is on (GBL/BBL/RBL/EBG/OS) if you have chat channel labels enabled.

OP, you can turn team chat on and off by checking/unchecking the team chat channel in your chat window settings. Click the down arrow to the left of your
name to access the corresponding settings.

There is one bug with team chat: if you log out of wvw (or are kicked by the game for being afk), team chat will keep sending as long as you stay in the character select screen. You'll be able to see all of the messages the next time you log in a character (unless you close the game client first).

Oh, I didn't realise that. I don't use that option and going by the conversations in my Team chat very few people on Desolation and whichever server/s we're grouped with use that option. About 1/s of team chat is people saying things like "Incoming blob" or "they're moving to west tower" followed by people trying to find out which map this is on or joking about how the enemy are everywhere simultaneously.

But, following on from the above, I can definitely see why they'd be useful for Team chat.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:It also doesn't have tags to show the map (unless your server is very organised and people remember to type them manually when starting a message), as far as I know only Guild chat has tags before the message.You're wrong here. Team chat does show which map the person talking is on (GBL/BBL/RBL/EBG/OS) if you have chat channel labels enabled.

Yes and also no but kinda yes anyway. Since the Warclaw patch team chat from EotM also shows up for people in the normal WvW maps but those messages show up without a tag for the map but since it is the only one without a map tag you also know where it is coming from.

@Danikat.8537 said:But since Team chat is only used in WvW you could also keep it switched off without causing yourself any problems...at least until you go back into WvW and want to see it.

This is not correct. Team chat is also used in sPvP, where you get put into a group which is neither your party (unless you play full premade unranked or ATs) nor your squad.

Archived