Unable to hold target selected

Here is a small annoyance I have with GW2 since the beginning in 2012: The game client is often losing its selected target.

This most often happens in WvW / PvP areas but also with PvE bosses. I play Elementalist. Select target. Start spamming my attack spells and after some time I notice that the target is no longer selected which causes my spells to target the location of my mouse arrow instead of the selected target. I can re-select target but the problem re-occurs and I find this quite annoying.

I never had this problem in Guild Wars 1.

Also, auto targetting can be a bit tricky with camera movements.I too suffer from the game selecting another target inadvertently. Most likely the game changes my actual target for another one far behind, or picking one that isn't on screen (ride the lightning...)

i learned to accomodate, because playing without any form of auto targetting is a bigger annoyance for me. ^^

@joneirikb.7506 said:Couple of thoughts:

• In PvP/WvW, if the enemy stealths it de-selects target (one of the features of stealth).
  • Depending on your settings, if you mouse click a place with no target it might de-select target.

I'm not clicking alsewhere. it may be stealth then, but I don't see why the game would not resume the target selection when the target ends stealth mode. But I guess that could be a design decision.

Do PvE bosses stealth as well to deselect themselves?

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:Couple of thoughts:
  • In PvP/WvW, if the enemy stealths it de-selects target (one of the features of stealth).
  • Depending on your settings, if you mouse click a place with no target it might de-select target.

I'm not clicking alsewhere. it may be stealth then, but I don't see why the game would not resume the target selection when the target ends stealth mode. But I guess that could be a design decision.

Do PvE bosses stealth as well to deselect themselves?Generally, no (there are a few exceptions, as well as few bosses that become untargetable for a while, but those are rare). It's almost certainly the fault of targeting system. Even if you have autotarget disabled, and have a mob selected manually, if the game thinks even for a second that the target is out of range (which can mean out of range, behind your character's back, or very close and in front of you, but out of camera window due to camera shenanigans, or any combination of those), it will detarget. If you have autotarget selected, then in addition to that sometimes the game decides it knows better, and will shift your manually selected target to that currently unengaged mob beyond your attack range simply because it was closer to the center of the camera. I haven't seen yet anything that would help prevent that.

Archived