Going To Ember Bay (200 gems)

So after all the wvwvwing and pvping, i decided to do some pve and i wanted to go to Ember Bay. But the easiest i know to go there is completing a Living Story Episode.

u7AwW7a.jpg

and it costs 200 gems to unlock.

On my main account, all the LS stories of HoT and PoF are unlocked. the account that i used to get the Screenshot also has HoT and PoF but i bought the expansions late so i have to buy the LS 's with Gems. Why is this So?

So how to go to Ember Bay? and why the LS's are prized with gems? i already have the expansions.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living World episodes aren't part of the expansions - they're seperate DLC. Therefore buying the expansion does not unlock them.

There is an on-going...arrangement (promotion?) where if you log in during the 'release period' for each episode - the time between it's release and the next one coming out - you get it unlocked permanently for free. That is why one of your accounts has it and the other doesn't. But again that's nothing to do with buying the expansions - even free accounts will unlock the episodes if they log in during that time and any account which missed that period (either because it wasn't created until later or because it wasn't logged in during the release) will have to buy them, even after buying the expansions.

Finally the only way to get to Ember Bay is to buy the episode, there's no way to access the map without it. Even using a Teleport to Friend item won't work.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:What others seems to miss is that topic starter has mentioned that he already have those LS episodes unlocked on his main account. And now is forced to buy them again at his 2nd account. Now, this doesn't really make much sense, even with all considerations given. Why should he pay twice?

Makes perfect sense to me ... why would Anet enable account sharing of purchases? You do realize how badly this could be abused right? How it sets Anet up to lost revenue?

I mean, I sort of question why any player would repeat such content on a second account to begin with ... because the first account just wasn't enough? The complaint is weird ... 2 accounts is certainly a luxury ... but 200 gems is a problem? I mean, something sounds weird here.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:What others seems to miss is that topic starter has mentioned that he already have those LS episodes unlocked on his main account. And now is forced to buy them again at his 2nd account. Now, this doesn't really make much sense, even with all considerations given. Why should he pay twice?

Did he have to buy the XPac's twice? Yes.

@Obtena.7952 said:Makes perfect sense to me ... why would Anet enable account sharing of purchases? You do realize how badly this could be abused right? How it sets Anet up to lost revenue?Because effectively it's the same person. They could at least allow some kind of account linkage - as long as only one such account is active at the same time. Similar to what Steam does, allowing to share games between your families' accounts, but limiting it to only one active instance at a time.

@Obtena.7952 said:I mean, I sort of question why any player would repeat such content on a second account to begin with ... because the first account just wasn't enough?To play as a total stranger, without anybody be able to recognize him, for example? Makes perfect sense for somebody who is well known for a lot of ppl in game, and just wants to get some rest and not be disturbed, without explaining reasons to other ppl, or getting into awkward situations, like being caught by his friend playing in invisible mode.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

And that isn't right as well.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Makes perfect sense to me ... why would Anet enable account sharing of purchases? You do realize how badly this could be abused right? How it sets Anet up to lost revenue?Because effectively it's the same person. They could at least allow some kind of account linkage - as long as only one such account is active at the same time. Similar to what Steam does, allowing to share games between your families' accounts, but limiting it to only one active instance at a time.

That makes no sense, like honest, zero. If the person wants a service twice, they pay twice. This isn't some unreasonable expectation. No reasonable person would expect to get content for free just because they bought a second account and unlocked it in another. What world do you people live in?

You ask why he should have to pay twice ... the question is why shouldn't he! At what level does it become unreasonable for someone patronizing a service from a provider to not pay for it? Do you guys leave the house and ever interact with service providers? That's just not it works, at a common sense level.

@Obtena.7952 said:That makes no sense, like honest, zero.So, Valve invested in nonsensical similar feature? Now, this statement makes no sense, that's true.

@Obtena.7952 said:If the person wants a service twice, they pay twice.But they don't, assuming only one account is used at a time. Are you overly-concerned about those few more kB additional account takes in Anet's DB?

@Obtena.7952 said:No reasonable person would expect to get content for free just because they bought a second account and unlocked it in another.Where is it "for free"? He paid for it already. No reasonable person would expect be forced to pay twice for the same thing, that's true.

No, he didn't pay for it already ... he bought a second account; the content is linked to the account, not a person. It's irrelevant if he's using the account at different times (I can't even begin to understand how that is a factor at all) and I'm not concerned about any kB details or what that has to do with anything to begin with. Anet doesn't care how many times an individual bought it. Their business model is account-based, not DNA based. He's not paying for the same thing twice (though I can think of TONS of instances in the service industry where you would pay for the same thing twice)

I think you simply don't understand what you are paying for in an MMO ... you don't 'buy' an account and the content in it. You pay for a service to access an account that holds your personal progress, so yes, you do pay for multiple instances of access in different accounts because it's the access you pay for, not the actual ownership. That's REALLY important to understand.

It's no different than paying for any other service; you pay based on access, not owning something. That's Anet's business model.

@Obtena.7952 said:No, he didn't pay for it already ... he bought a second accountHe did pay it already, for the access to content and share of server's processing time.

@Obtena.7952 said:the content is linked to the account, not a person.Exactly, that's where it doesn't make sense. That's as if to play a single-player game at another computer you would have to buy the game one more time. Even the most greedy publishers still at least allow to bind the same game/account to a few machines, until only one instance of the game is launched at a time.

@Obtena.7952 said:It's irrelevant if he's using the account at different times (I can't even begin to understand how that is a factor at all)That's quite an easy concept to understand, not sure what can be a problem here. You pay for access to content and servers' resources. If he plays only with one account at a time, he "consumes" the same amount of server's processing power, and he's already paid for content. What can be easier to understand than this?

@Obtena.7952 said:I think you simply don't understand what you are paying for in an MMO ... you don't 'buy' an account and the content in it. You pay for a service to access an account that holds your personal progressOh, so you seem to understand this! Then why he has to pay more, when he still consumes the same "amount of service" (he plays only with one account at a time)? The only difference is that his data in DB is now doubled. But those few kBs hardly justify paying for all content twice, storage costs very little these days, unless it's a "big data".

@Obtena.7952 said:That's Anet's business model.That's correct. Quite a grabby one, though.

Nothing grabby about it ... it's an account based service. You pay PER ACCOUNT for access, so if you want access twice on two accounts, you pay twice. It's irrelevant who purchases or how many times they have purchased. The content is unlocked PER ACCOUNT.

Don't worry, venture out into the real world some day, you will understand how services work AKA "Why the guy at the rental counter laughs at you as you try to explain to him why you shouldn't have to pay more than once".

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The content is unlocked PER ACCOUNT.No matter how many times you will re-state that fact, it won't make it less nonsensical, or less grabby as a business model.

I never liked Anet's practice of locking the trickles of content delivered between expansions behind paywalls but the account thing makes sense to me. What other mmo allows you to transfer purchases between accounts? I can't think of any and I've played quite a few.

@"Eramonster.2718" said:Just farm 50g.

This is the answer.

What you can do however, is grind up gold on your main account, transfer to the extra account, and trade in for gems to buy the LS though.

Regarding accounts: Obtena has the right of it.

Try making 2 accounts for WoW or FF14, and try to get them to share expansion packs or subscription fees.

You can still install the game on several computers, and use the same account on each of them (one at a time, ofc). But you won't be able/allowed to log in several times with the same account, nor make a new account and get any expansion-packs/subscription. This is the normal.

There might exist, but I haven't heard about any game that uses an online account system (like MMO's use) and still allow you to share account upgrades (expansion-packs, dlc, subscriptions etc) between multiple accounts.

From ANet's perspective the "Account" is the customer. So a new account is the same as a new customer.

I know Steam allows something similar, but not quite the same. It allows multiple users on the same computer borrow each others games, as long as the owner/user isn't playing that game on another computer etc. But this applies to single-player games, or other games without using an "online account", so doesn't apply to MMO's and the like.

@Obtena.7952 said:Well, I guess that's a matter of life experience then. If you don't see why an account-based service requires a user to pay for a service per account, you will just have to go out and experience how the real world works.

You don't have to chalk this up to life experience. This is common sense.... At least I thought it was.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Well, I guess that's a matter of life experience then. If you don't see why an account-based service requires a user to pay for a service per account, you will just have to go out and experience how the real world works.

You don't have to chalk this up to life experience. This is common sense.... At least I thought it was.

You'd be surprised how uncommon common sense is these days.

200 gems is barely anything when it's for content , which requires voice acting, level design, reward design, environment artists, cutscene creators, etc.

It's a stark contrast to a 2000 gem mount skin which is sometimes a lazy reskin with extra dye channels. If there's anything to complain about it's not about 200 gems for content.

As explained by others, there is only one reason you do not have this episode unlocked. You didnt login the game in the timeframe where this episode was themost recent episode and therefor didnt unlock it on your account for free.If you think this is not correct (e.g. cause you didnt take any gap from playing), you can contact support (although I would not know if they can verify your claim after this time). Otherwise you can get the gems with gold or money and pay the prize.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

And that isn't right as well.

If you want two accounts, you pay twice. Sounds quite simple to me.If you want to pay once, just make a new character on your existing account and enjoy all your already purchased/unlocked content.

It was his choice when buying a second account. I don't see any way around it. Even if the player has reasons to be concerned about paying twice, it wouldn't be any different if they had bought the account for their spouse or children.

Archived