What is GW2 about?

So i started up the game, messing around a little, then youtube, then Expansion pack, boosted my lvl to 80 cus this is a old game and most game should be happening lategame.

When opening the Trade Post i was hoping to see pretty much something that makes me think:" Holy hell, i want this stuff!"Basically something that motivates to do stuff and Get Money!So after exploring the trader i was like:" Ooh. So i have the best gear. Hmm... What should i do now? Im not going to get stronger and im very confused."I was basically staring at my wall, feeling empty like the wall.

WHAT NOW?

So after searching trough all my items and googling the stuff. I found out, that if i spend a lots of time with gathering materials and crafting i get little little bitty better gear.I was very very confused.

iAM Former AION player. 6years ago.

I still have no idea how this game works tbh. but it is nothing like AION. Almost. I mean... i was thinking it is like Aion but not for pianists or keyboard walkers and hopefully not pay to win.

Its so different that i wish it was more like Aion but not ruined like Aion.Aion Aion Aion got me hooked with

• Ascension (Woop! Now im godlike being with wings.)

• Haramell: is this a hint? Whos feeding us with that Odella? Humm... interesting.

• Uuh.. the first little bit but still shiny armor.

• The damned Twinks... Damn Rengers and Assassins and the mighty lvl 55 Cleric who just came and said their last words. LeL

• My first Kromedes Dagger. Then second, then both +8. Time to fight those twinks. OOH i can almost solo Kromede... not. But we got this Twink ONCE... 3vs 1 ofc.

• Instances were actually pretty hard.

• Twinks again, being a twink on your third character, without even reaching the endgame, still playing lvl 30 stuff for hundreds of hours.

• Endgame. Damn those dungeons, they hard but i like to stay dead and wait for that one HERO who stands up and walks all the way back to the last boss. Me again?

• Ofc all type of groups had their own ways to complete dungeons. So even if i was thinking: "i got this place". Someone jells at me: "Hey SIN WE WAITING!" ME: "Wut?"

• Being a cleric. FULL TIME JOB! Login and... DING DING DONG... "just a sec, let me take my coffee!" Okay we dead... Templar, stay back my fellow Sorc will tank today.

• Lets take a moment of silence for our dead beauty, who always got us exited for glory she could give us: Abyss! Those skills bang! The gear, dead again? ok

• Rifting as a mighty, fearless Assassin, waiting for the perfect moment... uses: EMPTY RUNE BURST! on gathering dude and runs away in laughing tears... followed soon by group of 6.

• So much fun, exitement and failures... but always one thing in mind: GEAR!

• (Only old Aion players prolly can relate to any of this, but it was fun at times)

What happened?

"Oo so, lets make the cash shop. This game is basically driven by chain of dopamine bursts in players heads when they success and reach their goals but...F*** it, lets give all the stuff for real money and make game really not challenging at all... but lets make it so: Takes about 2 months to get some proper gear by doing boring dailies. Lets make them suffer like drug addicts waiting their dose.

So we open up our wallets, we get the items, we dont get the fun or dopamine that was created by achieving the goal.We riot, we cry, we die and leave with broken hearts and broken wings.

All i know about GW2 so far is that i know nothing and it is really not based on overgearing other players like Aion.So far the community warms my heart and good community means that there must be something to look forward.

So my Questions are: What is your little story in GW2 that got u hooked? Should i continue on my lvl 80 char or make whole game with at least one char? What are most popular locations and activities of lategame?

*Sry for confusing Englis

'So i started up the game, messing around a little, then boosted my lvl to 80''I still have no idea how this game works tbh.'

This is immediately your problem. You skipped everything that would have taught you what GW2 was about and how to navigate the maps and how to obtain and use the items available in them. You did a speedrun through a years-long story; no wonder you're confused.

It's not about gear progression, it's about doing open world events, PvP and the Living World Story whenever it comes out every 3ish months. Crafting/getting ascended gear should be your first goal. There's several ways of going about it, so pick whatever you like. Then there is legendary armor or weapons as a very long term goal.

• Never boost first toon. You will not learn the game by doing so
  • The game is not about traditional progression. It is about story, it is about exploration, it is about being a part of a "living" world
  • Endgame can mean anything from exploring the early maps (you are downscaled so everything is relevant), to fractals (dungeons), raids new story maps, World vs World, pvp, achievements, collections, legendaries, fashion - the endgame is what you choose it to be, not some arbitrary definition other MMO's useThis isn't Aion. Or any other MMO. It does its own thing and that is why it is successful

I've played a fair number of MMO's including Anarchy Online, Conan, Lotro, Secret World (both versions), Rift and ESO. Some of them follow a traditional formula and some do their own thing. The trick is not to come in with pre-conceived ideas or to expect the game to shape to your vision. You either like it for what it is, or you don't.

Changing over from gear grind to play progression is a pretty jarring shift. You don't get good gear, you just get good. Take your time. Enjoy the ride. Learn as much as you can, especially how to DODGE!. Pay attention to what's happening in the world and not just your UI bar. Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice in-game, the community is very nice (there are some jerks, but mostly nice). Look around (or ask) for pink Mentor tags if you want someone to show you some things to do, or just want to work with someone. Welcome to an actual game; I think you'll enjoy it.

If you don't mind waiting, I'd suggest starting a second character and play through the core game without boosting. It may feel frustrating at first, working with only a few abilities, but it's important to develop your skills.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:'So i started up the game, messing around a little, then boosted my lvl to 80''I still have no idea how this game works tbh.'

This is immediately your problem. You skipped everything that would have taught you what GW2 was about and how to navigate the maps and how to obtain and use the items available in them. You did a speedrun through a years-long story; no wonder you're confused.

Jupp i did. Seems also like a hobby of yours too, since i am pretty sure u did not read 98% of my post.However, yes. This is my problem. I never claimed to know other people problems :D Well, just old Aion playerbase core problem.

Some really nice people have shown me stuff and i all ready had some fun in the game.

But i have nearly 2 months to play game 3-5hours a day. Then for half year i will be playing it up to 0-1 and 2-3 hours per day.So im looking for little stories about the game and things to look forward that are most fun.In my exp. MMORPGS are not very good at story telling. Story is just to fill the background.prove me wrong.

This game does not have the "hamster wheel" that is the gear grind for BiS stats like other MMOs out there. And since you 've been conditioned by a grinder like Aion (which has its own merits), I can see why you feel lost after reaching max level here. The gameplay loop here is different depending on what type of player you are (PVE.PVP,WVW) but a big portion of the playerbase sees "fashion wars" as the true game. This means you farm open world events or fractals to get mats, to get gold, to exchange for gems for cash store shinies. Which is still a grind just a different type from what you are used to.

I would suggest you start doing metas like the Silverwastes one and try beginner fractals to get a feel of both open world and instanced content. This way you start building up your material bank to either craft or sell, while you decide which type of content you like doing the most.

@HenzyOne.5348 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:'So i started up the game, messing around a little, then boosted my lvl to 80''I still have no idea how this game works tbh.'

Jupp i did. Seems also like a hobby of yours too, since i am pretty sure u did not read 98% of my post.However, yes. This is my problem. I never claimed to know other people problems :D Well, just old Aion playerbase core problem.

Some really nice people have shown me stuff and i all ready had some fun in the game.

But i have nearly 2 months to play game 3-5hours a day. Then for half year i will be playing it up to 0-1 and 2-3 hours per day.So im looking for little stories about the game and things to look forward that are most fun.In my exp. MMORPGS are not very good at story telling. Story is just to fill the background.prove me wrong.

Largely yes, MMO's have always sucked at storytelling although I disagree it's just filler. GW2 focuses on the story a great deal and whilst it has improved over the years, it isn't (in my opinion) great for a variety of reasons. What it does do well is map storyetelling via events, npcs, collections, lore, hearts and how it overall design a map. That is a great strength of the game.

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:This game does not have the "hamster wheel" that is the gear grind for BiS stats like other MMOs out there. And since you 've been conditioned by a grinder like Aion (which has its own merits), I can see why you feel lost after reaching max level here. The gameplay loop here is different depending on what type of player you are (PVE.PVP,WVW) but a big portion of the playerbase sees "fashion wars" as the true game. This means you farm open world events or fractals to get mats, to get gold, to exchange for gems for cash store shinies. Which is still a grind just a different type from what you are used to.

I would suggest you start doing metas like the Silverwastes one and try beginner fractals to get a feel of both open world and instanced content. This way you start building up your material bank to either craft or sell, while you decide which type of content you like doing the most.

Well. Aion was ruined by "BiS" (i just learned this "word".) and i agree that it also ruined me. It really ruined me to the point where i was walking in the mall, wearing nothing but the bathrobe to get my morning pizza and coffee as fast as possible. AaaAaaaAIOooN group was waiting for me. (Side note: No, pizza does not make u fat. Its a myth.)It was a hamster wheel but a great one. Every time i logged in i had at least 5 goals in mind (Not dailies) but somehow i always got dragged in to some other stuff so i ended up sleeping in school and wearing morning robes in malls. This is not good but kinda proves how good Aion was.

It had:Mythology, but im not talking about Jesus or Gods.Mythology for me is abstract and exaggerated story or picture about what is actually going on. Some get it, some dont. Some are just sheep on the hamster wheel.So im going to break down all my "Emotional points".

Ascension Means that Player is now leaving the real world and will continue his/her life as "Daeva". (Ended up me being the Dude who walks in the mall, nothing on but bathrobe)Haramell is also a great mythological instance. (I never linked it to islam or anything) It really nailed the concept of today society: "Work! Work! And get high!."However after playing the game, i figured out that is once again a hint to a player, that he is the brainwashed one. Since we were working to get some not existing items.Its a game but it works like a drug. It takes you to the wonderland and creates addiction.

So those two little things made it pretty clear that, this game is not designed by random dudes jelling "Lets make this, its cool." It had a masterplan.Pretty good mind-food but mby... just for me.

• First armor = i dont have to explain that. However Icons made it pretty clear, what you are looking for.
  • TWINKS: Open world pvp: Rifting. Its not an arena where you should go and gather your points to progress. Its something that is almost forbidden. You are entering the land where everyone is your enemy, you are not granted with any specific rewards but it is challenging and interesting. For the other faction it was bonding and it also started the revenge emotion that really made people want to gear up. Im not gon write a book but that was just brilliant concept for me that ended up with a lots of fun.(They said that they removed twinking and created fast-track servers to help noobs) No they removed this because it was bad for business. However i dont think that was an idea coming from those people who created this masterpiece but those who were tormented by greed.

Since AION=Aeon, an indefinite long period of time. Was designed to make people have fun for a lifetime. *SUBS

• Instances were hard and challenging. Every game needs a challenge. Not much to say at first but...
  • Twinking: i covered it.
  • Two points about instances and Role Play:1) Instance is always the same but it depends on what classes you have in group. Ofc. Tank and Cleric are the core. So you might want to have CC.Now i am playing an Assassin and i think that im there just to deal DPS.NOPE!I can lure bosses trough half the instance without anyone else seeing me.Making "clear speed" up to 50% faster. I can lure whole instance and tank all mobs until final boss since high speed and evasions. (also tanks can do this).. and much more can done by having one class in the group. It really depends on what people are looking for EXP: Get AOE DPS or disabler. Boss grind: Get Assassin.2) Im not gon blah blah about typical class Roles but they really gave you a Role. A skillset to master beyond skillbar.

Much more but in the end it was clearly seen that game turned in to completely mindless Arena PVP and Cash shop game that had only one thing evolving.Graphics.

Did u notice how much i put into talking about Aion?

GW2 Anyone?

*Did fractials, liked it but dint seem popular. We ended up 4 man after waiting some time and my mentor asked guild members to the party.Surely one thing i look forward. What else tho. What are the concepts?

The answer differs from player to player.

Me, I like to do open world stuff, progress through story and map completion on my alts and secondary account. I also like to do achievements, complete achievement categories if I'm able to, collect achievement points, collect materials for legendary crafting, partake in a bit of fashion wars, that sort of thing.

I've been playing the game since release, and though nowadays I don't play as much as I used to, I still log in almost every day to do dailies, and I still very much look forward to future Living World and (hopefully) expansion releases.

This game has plenty of stuff to do, it's just that it's designed in a way to give you the freedom to choose what you want to do instead of forcing you to grind stats. Just like in real life, you need to find your own meaning. ;)

@HenzyOne.5348 said:

People would read more if what looks like half the post, wasn't unnecessarily about your obsession with Aion. Then more parts outside of that, about how this game isn't Aion. On top of that, you admit to not even knowing that much, which brings us back to that other guys original statement.

But if you want some tips, here's two. The biggest one would be you separating this game from Aion. Next would be you getting use to the idea, that this game lacks the traditional gear treadmill. Let's start with those two first, since these seem to be the biggest issue.

There's no gear treadmill, and there's no standard trinity.I'd recommend parking your boosted L80, and create a play another character naturally. There's a whole tutorial included in the natural level-up.For 'twinking' (? - if I understand that term), we have WvW. There's also sPvP, if you are into that kind of thing.The GW2 Wiki (link above) is a treasure trove of information; lore, mechanics, navigation, etc. You can even access it within the game by typing /Wiki (topic of choice) in the chat window.

I'm not sure you will find much here like Aion (except, perhaps, wings) as I never played Aion; I only remember the tie-in with Guild Wars (One).

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

@"HenzyOne.5348" said:GW2 Anyone?

I can't help but wonder if World of Warcraft wouldn't be a better MMORPG for you than GW2. It's a lot more similar to Aion, it has a very rich lore with decades of supporting lore and "mythology", very typical class roles, a clear endgame-focused experience, and so on.

GW2 is more like a game trying to be something different than the usual MMORPGs. There's a lot to learn for someone coming from a more classic game.

Endgame vary from player to player, there's a plenty of long term goals(not enough imo).My first goal was to make the PvP backpack, got my full legendary light armor, then top 250 PvP title, crafted Bifrost and Bolt.Planning on finishing Aurora in about 2 weeks, then ill spent the rest of time on Wvw, maybe chase some achievs when bored of WvW.I did It in less than 2 years thats why i think there isnt enough long term goals or maybe its just me and the goals i setted.Gw2 endgame is not clear, because you set your goals and you decide what is your endgame

GW2, more than any other MMO I've played, manages to keep every part of it relevant, even to max level characters. Every map, every zone, every event is rewarding to at-level characters and max level characters alike.

So the idea that it's all about a race to max level so the 'real game' can begin doesn't apply here, which is one of GW2's greatest strengths.

This game isn't Aion. This game is called "Guild Wars 2".So don't play a game that isn't called "Aion" and expect to play Aion.Try playing Aion instead if you want a game that's like Aion (mind blown).

Is it not obvious why you are so confused and disappointed? Your mentality is completely wrong from the start, Jesus Christ....

@"MMOStein.3872" said:This game isn't Aion. This game is called "Guild Wars 2".So don't play a game that isn't called "Aion" and expect to play Aion.Try playing Aion instead if you want a game that's like Aion (mind blown).

Is it not obvious why you are so confused and disappointed? Your mentality is completely wrong from the start, Jesus Christ....

So this is how you bring out great examples and stories about GW2. Did you read what i was asking for?I just used Aion as an example and described how this game works. I never said that GW2 is bad.nvm... You did not read my post, you did not reach my thoughts and you are not helping in any ways.Why did you reply?

@DiabolicalHamSandwich.8756 said:

People would read more if what looks like half the post, wasn't unnecessarily about your obsession with Aion. Then more parts outside of that, about how this game isn't Aion. On top of that, you admit to not even knowing that much, which brings us back to that other guys original statement.

But if you want some tips, here's two. The biggest one would be you separating this game from Aion. Next would be you getting use to the idea, that this game lacks the traditional gear treadmill. Let's start with those two first, since these seem to be the biggest issue.

Sadly most of you people are getting the whole thing completely wrong.I spoke of AION as EXAMPLE of what i want to hear about GW2

What makes GW2 fun. What was your most fun expierence like i had in aion.etc.

I was seeking for answers like:

I love GW2 because it has way different item progression than any other game. I can play one class but i could transform it with different gear and masteries that is not exactly better but i wont get bored of any classes because they are so flexible. Its not a game where you get stronger with greater numbers of ATK damage but you are able to adapt different play-styles depending on what you are looking for. For example, im interested in making my X class to do X things that you cant do in X games like X games with classical classes.

GW2 offers pretty good Exploring experience, since it has huge open world and i can walk into unknown places to find myself doing stuff i never thought i would be.For example i was going to X place to do X thing but ended up doing X thing and it was quite fun. After i had whole map explored i found that those X things are most fun for me since i like X things but im not interested in X things.

You should/should not play trough whole game since it offers....

And so on... so i could could learn from examples and decide what is good about this game.I really didnt expect such rubbish posts, since in game people have been pretty good and it seems that i already can tell more about this game than some 6 year vets.

GW2 Moderators, if you see this. You can Delete the Thread. I have possibly led people to wrong understanding of what im asking for. SO This thread serves wrong purpose.

@"HenzyOne.5348" said:

So i started up the game, messing around a little, then youtube, then Expansion pack, boosted my lvl to 80 cus this is a old game and most game should be happening lategame.

When opening the Trade Post i was hoping to see pretty much something that makes me think:" Holy hell, i want this stuff!"Basically something that motivates to do stuff and Get Money!So after exploring the trader i was like:" Ooh. So i have the best gear. Hmm... What should i do now? Im not going to get stronger and im very confused."I was basically staring at my wall, feeling empty like the wall.

WHAT NOW?

So after searching trough all my items and googling the stuff. I found out, that if i spend a lots of time with gathering materials and crafting i get little little bitty better gear.I was very very confused.

I still have no idea how this game works tbh. but it is nothing like AION. Almost. I mean... i was thinking it is like Aion but not for pianists or keyboard walkers and hopefully not pay to win.

Its so different that i wish it was more like Aion but not ruined like Aion.Aion Aion Aion got me hooked with

• Haramell: is this a hint? Whos feeding us with that Odella? Humm... interesting.

• The damned Twinks... kitten Rengers and Assassins and the mighty lvl 55 Cleric who just came and said their last words. LeL

• My first Kromedes Dagger. Then second, then both +8. Time to fight those twinks. OOH i can almost solo Kromede... not. But we got this Twink ONCE... 3vs 1 ofc.

• Twinks again, being a twink on your third character, without even reaching the endgame, still playing lvl 30 stuff for hundreds of hours.

• Endgame. kitten those dungeons, they hard but i like to stay dead and wait for that one HERO who stands up and walks all the way back to the last boss. Me again?

• Ofc all type of groups had their own ways to complete dungeons. So even if i was thinking: "i got this place". Someone jells at me: "Hey SIN WE WAITING!" ME: "Wut?"

• Being a cleric. FULL TIME JOB! Login and... DING DING kitten... "just a sec, let me take my coffee!" Okay we dead... Templar, stay back my fellow Sorc will tank today.

• Lets take a moment of silence for our dead beauty, who always got us exited for glory she could give us: Abyss! Those skills bang! The gear, dead again? ok

• Rifting as a mighty, fearless Assassin, waiting for the perfect moment... uses: EMPTY RUNE BURST! on gathering dude and runs away in laughing tears... followed soon by group of 6.

• (Only old Aion players prolly can relate to any of this, but it was fun at times)

What happened?

"Oo so, lets make the cash shop. This game is basically driven by chain of dopamine bursts in players heads when they success and reach their goals but...F*** it, lets give all the stuff for real money and make game really not challenging at all... but lets make it so: Takes about 2 months to get some proper gear by doing boring dailies. Lets make them suffer like drug addicts waiting their dose.

So we open up our wallets, we get the items, we dont get the fun or dopamine that was created by achieving the goal.We riot, we cry, we die and leave with broken hearts and broken wings.

All i know about GW2 so far is that i know nothing and it is really not based on overgearing other players like Aion.So far the community warms my heart and good community means that there must be something to look forward.

So my Questions are: What is your little story in GW2 that got u hooked? Should i continue on my lvl 80 char or make whole game with at least one char? What are most popular locations and activities of lategame?

What, only two months? They really did nerf it bad. I ran the same dungeon for two years, every week, trying to get my extended dagger, and never did get it.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"HenzyOne.5348" said:

WHAT NOW?

• The damned Twinks... kitten Rengers and Assassins and the mighty lvl 55 Cleric who just came and said their last words. LeL
  • Endgame. kitten those dungeons, they hard but i like to stay dead and wait for that one HERO who stands up and walks all the way back to the last boss. Me again?
  • Being a cleric. FULL TIME JOB! Login and... DING DING kitten... "just a sec, let me take my coffee!" Okay we dead... Templar, stay back my fellow Sorc will tank today.

What happened?

What, only two months? They really did nerf it bad. I ran the same dungeon for two years, every week, trying to get my extended dagger, and never did get it.

I never said 2 months but i think it was even faster. Depends.i think it was within 60-100 hours of gameplay.Also i started at private server but moved on to "Retail?" since i thought that this game deserves more than piracy.Soon enough , things went downhill.

In GW2, you don't go looking for NPC's with ? over there heads to get quests. There are areas in a map with a "heart" icon on your mini map with an NPC. The NPC will give you some background on what's happening in that area. They are there to give you guidance on what to do, background on the area, who you might want to talk to..etc.. As you complete these suggestions, the "heart" will fill up. Once its full, the NPC will become a vendor and you can get items/experience, etc.. But that's not the only way to do things?

In one of the starter areas, I had filled out the heart in a spot and was running to another area on the map. As I was running to the next area, I ran by two NPC's that were talking to each other. For whatever reason, I stopped to listen to the conversation. One of the NPC boasted that he was a great artist and to prove it he was going to build a statue of a god that the native "Grawl" populace would worship. (These Grawl were aggressive and would attack the player if you got too close.) He finished the conversation and took off... I followed and that was the beginning of a 3-4 event chain that ended up having the "Grawls" becoming friendly to the player base. I don't remember any particular reward beside the standard "drops" of the different mobs during the event chain. But for a moment I changed the dynamics of the map for other players.

That's an example of what people are trying to tell you... its about the journey.. every map has a collection of little stories.. with a general larger story directing your character thru the game.

Archived