Is the Warclaw just a reskinned Griffon? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is the Warclaw just a reskinned Griffon?

Really?

Tagged:
<13

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

In the sense that it's a quadruped? I guess you could say that.

But it doesn't move like the griffon, has different abilities and of course it can't fly, so it's highly unlikely they actually used the griffon model as a basis for it.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

It seems to use the Griffon's skeleton and a lot of its animations, yes. Which is OK, seeing as they're both cats (kinda) its attack animation is different, though.

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

Guess someone hasn't seen the animation bug when the warclaw jumps straight up into the air like the gryphon and then dashes forward.

Another derailing post. ^^
    EBG North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed!
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Adul.1520 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

But it doesn't move like the griffon, has different abilities and of course it can't fly, so it's highly unlikely they actually used the griffon model as a basis for it.

They actually did. They said so on Guild Chat. They removed the wings from the griffon, which was their base for what would eventually become the Warclaw.

Ah ok, I don't watch Guild Chat except on the very rare occasions someone tells me there's something worth watching (I prefer text articles) and the way they move looks quite different to me.

But even so it has different animations and very different abilities so I don't really see how it can be considered the same mount.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:
    So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

interesting find

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:
    So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

It was unique for WvW. You expect more from that game mode?

Fàther - Create a mount then kill it until it's more useless than PvE. "Smart"
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Erasculio.2914Erasculio.2914 Member ✭✭✭

@Adul.1520 said:
    They actually did. They said so on Guild Chat. They removed the wings from the griffon, which was their base for what would eventually become the Warclaw.

Exactly. The Warclaw is basically a heavily modified griffon.

Incidentally, I'm still kinda sad they didn't make a Dolyak mount for WvW. They said they considered it, but they would have had to make the entire mount from scratch (since the Dolyak currently in WvW is nowhere near being complex enough to be adapted into a mount), and so they realized it would be easier to just modify the griffon into something new.

Was that a bit cheap? Yes, it was. Then again, we did get the Warclaw completely for free, so it doesn't bother me (other than how I would really have liked a Dolyak mount).

How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

Well it kinda makes it look like it was done on the cheap with no genuine creativity involved is all... a rush job maybe.
    Lets hope the skins show a little more effort.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• AgentMoore.9453AgentMoore.9453 Member ✭✭✭

It makes sense it'd be based on the Griff, especially with the wrinklecat and grand lion skins already in the game. That's actually why I find it odd that they chose 'cat' for the Warclaw, since that already has so much representation in the Griff skins. Something like hoofbeasts would have filled a yet-untapped slot.

Tell me you wouldn't have little Lion King flashbacks if a zerg on water buffalos, deer, or dolyaks came crashing over a hill toward you.

• Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭

it's the sylvari of mounts then. so what?

• Drecien.4508Drecien.4508 Member ✭✭✭

If you feed it the right food it's wings will grow back.

30 Beautiful new mount skins?! Anet take my money!

• Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

Is an human and a Norn just an re skinned sylvary?.? Really?

• @Balsa.3951 said:
    Is an human and a Norn just an re skinned sylvary?.? Really?

I really can't tell if you are being serious or not.

• Yamazuki.6073Yamazuki.6073 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019

I see no issue with recycling as long as there's enough differences. I would prefer they release the mount as it was, than waste money and time on making it just another 2% different for no gain at all.

By the way, even ability animations are recycled between weapons/professions. Doing so with mounts is hardly something worth complaining about if you tolerated the other.

• Humans are reskinned Norns.

• Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019

@Adul.1520 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

Given that, I wish they would come out with a Colocal skin for it. I still wish they had a colocal ranger pet.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Sylvari, norn, and humans also come from the same skeleton.
    Should anet remove the ‘5 playable races’ from their box as well?
    If model skeleton is your criteria for ‘unique’ than you can throw half the game out.

You’re calling it an issue but have yet to explain why its an issue.

And what does the skin pack have anything to do with it? If anything, 2000 gems for 5 skins is pretty cheap, considering we all expected them to be sold seperately for 1000-2000 a skin

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

really? you're gonna complain about anet reusing skeletons?

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

... Arent Choya just "reskinned" quaggan?

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:
    ... Arent Choya just "reskinned" quaggan?

coo's in cacti

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• flog.3485flog.3485 Member ✭✭✭

Aren’t riftstalkers just reskinned Karkas ? Aren’t branded undead just reskinned undead ? We could go on and on for hours.....

Plenty of games have reused skeletons whether we take about assets for designing environments or even profession skills.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Still no.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jethro.9376 said:
    And norn are just taller humans with less smooth animations.

I thought humans were just shorter norns with better fitting armor?

WvW Player: "Why is ANET spending resources on designing a mount we don't want when there are hundreds of issues that need fixing first?"

Also a WvW Player: "Why did ANET recycle the skeleton for the Griffon mount instead of dedicating resources to creating a totally new and unique mount for WvW?"

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

... yes? Made more obvious by sharing the same T pose bugs as the griffon.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

Sylvari, norn, and humans also come from the same skeleton.
    Should anet remove the ‘5 playable races’ from their box as well?
    If model skeleton is your criteria for ‘unique’ than you can throw half the game out.

You’re calling it an issue but have yet to explain why its an issue.

And what does the skin pack have anything to do with it? If anything, 2000 gems for 5 skins is pretty cheap, considering we all expected them to be sold seperately for 1000-2000 a skin

I don't think those comparisons work very well here. Maybe they use the same skeleton but there are a lot of armor pieces that works on one and not quite on others. Sylvari always seems to have a problem with the shoulders

• Absconditus.6804Absconditus.6804 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019

I don't see the problem here. It's a mount that was based from the Griffon animations and skeleton, but developed into its own thing. They said so themselves that it started out as a Griffon without its wings and opens holes on the side of its body. It's very much its own mount at this point though. Outside of WvW it has lackluster use and you're better served hopping up on your jackal, but that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, it is intended to be a WvW mount with WvW-oriented skills. What's important to me is that it feels feline in its movement. It just so happens to be that the griffon also feels feline. The movement feels right.

Seafarer's Rest | Enryon | Mistwarden [Hero]

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

My biggest issue with it is that it’s so bulky. Sometimes when I’m riding it I feel like I’m riding a triceratops or something. Lol

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    My biggest issue with it is that it’s so bulky. Sometimes when I’m riding it I feel like I’m riding a triceratops or something. Lol

What race? I find it too small for my Charr (not surprisingly) but very suitable on my Asura. Haven't tried it on Norns/Humans/Cabbages yet.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

Human so far. And sylvari. The tail is really stiff too. It might look a little more feline without the horns and armor though.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
    "Reskinned" isn't quite right, but you're on the right track in that it's the same rig! We did talk some about it on last week's Guild Chat, but if you want a more in-depth discussion on the topic, we did a Guild Chat back in 2016 with one of our Game Designers and one of our Animators about creature design. We get into a conversation about building creatures from existing rigs right at the beginning of the show. Ben uses behind the scenes footage of some existing in-game creatures to explain why it's done this way.

Nice to see a anet post hope to see more and dif people post in the future

• ROMANG.1903ROMANG.1903 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019

I just had the same reflexion. It's obvious after a few minutes messing around with the mount. I'm gonna be harsh but that release has been disappointing on almost every aspect compared to what ANet used us to. When I first saw the raptor, I was absolutely amazed at how real it felt, with its movements. This had remained true for every new mount, until now...

The Warclaw is a re-used model (It's way too bulky to make a beautiful feline, which is hidden by the armor but is absolutely obvious on the Outrider skin. A real new model crafted from scratch would've looked so mutch better...), it has poor animations (it's not nearly on the same level as any other mount, the head doesn't move at all except for the eyes, making any unarmored skin ugly).
    On the utlity side of things, the mount does nothing except making WvW unbalanced for people who don't own PoF.

Seriously, it is usually obvious that ANet puts all their hearts and efforts into a big release like a mount, but this one? It looks very poorly crafted and once you've seen that it's a reskined griffon, you can't unsee it, making it look even worse.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.