To GW1 or not to GW1 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

To GW1 or not to GW1

Recently I began to get bored with GW2 and dusted of my GW1 account and have been having some real fun with the old professions, Vanquishing, playing a Dervish, Obby armor, and forgetting I can't jump.

I was also surprised with the numbers of people who still play GW1. Sure the it's not like those in GW2, but enough to make it worth while and form a decent dance group in Kamadan.

For those of you who, like me, start to walk away from GW2 and question playing altogether, join us in GW1 and then go back to GW2 after a few weeks.

"That's what" -- She

Comments

  • Lucas.3718Lucas.3718 Member ✭✭

    nice to see some people going back to gw1. i would love to play gw1 with other people cuz playing with heroes can become boring and i dont have set builds for them.

  • Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭

    Enjoy it! It's great ANet keeps it running and people are still enjoying it.
    Me, I never liked it because it's not an MMO.

  • I'm still a fan of GW1. The 'fun' factor in it is still quite high and they actually have a pvp system that's enjoyable.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I do go back to GW1 every so often. I'm still thinking I might one day actually get God Walking Among Mere Mortals, but I don't know if it will ever happen.

    I'm always pleasantly surprised by the number of people online when I do go back...or overwhelmed if I go to Kamadan. I don't know how many people play it regularly but there always seems to be a lot of people about when I'm online.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Absconditus.6804Absconditus.6804 Member ✭✭✭

    Guild Wars 1 is still a very good game that I gladly recommend to anyone I know. I hop back on to it once in a while as well.

    Seafarer's Rest | Enryon | Mistwarden [Hero]

  • Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I still go back to Gw1. And I still regret not getting the mesmer FOW so you never know..

  • Lucas.3718Lucas.3718 Member ✭✭

    are there still people that dont camp spamadan? if so im curious if there are any guilds that are still active in gw1

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Doom Box is still active as well:

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm still working on LDoA, and visit occasionally. Pre-searing has a fair amount of players too... although the outside world does feel a little abandoned outside of Istan...

  • Shiv.5781Shiv.5781 Member ✭✭

    I never played GW1, but if I do get bored of GW2, I would love to try it out someday...

  • Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Recently I began to get bored with GW2 and dusted of my GW1 account and have been having some real fun with the old professions, Vanquishing, playing a Dervish, Obby armor, and forgetting I can't jump.

    I was also surprised with the numbers of people who still play GW1. Sure the it's not like those in GW2, but enough to make it worth while and form a decent dance group in Kamadan.

    For those of you who, like me, start to walk away from GW2 and question playing altogether, join us in GW1 and then go back to GW2 after a few weeks.

    To GW1
    Yes!!

  • Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There are facebook groups that still do stuff. Some do JQ/FA runs and the like. Unfortunately due to time issues they are on too late for me /sob.
    I also go to visit my beloved Cantha <3

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Both games have their pros and cons.. but since neither require a sub fee you're missing out if you don't play both :)

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I have fun going back to gw1 and messing around with hero team builds. currently im using a double psychic instability wastrels comp and its pretty sweet.

    The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    I have fun going back to gw1 and messing around with hero team builds. currently im using a double psychic instability wastrels comp and its pretty sweet.

    i think i have similar build, i used:
    2x wastrels demise mesmers.
    A 3rd mesmer as backfire something mesmer.
    3x P/W,
    1x ritualist with minions bombing Rt/N Or would use N/rt minion master
    Monk (me)

    this is what i was running for HM stuff, when i actually had reflexes for that game, now im scrubbed by gw2 lameness cant even heal a party outside kaining on normal >_>.

    That's the player skill difrence by gw1 and gw2...

    @Burnfall.9573 said:

    @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    Recently I began to get bored with GW2 and dusted of my GW1 account and have been having some real fun with the old professions, Vanquishing, playing a Dervish, Obby armor, and forgetting I can't jump.

    I was also surprised with the numbers of people who still play GW1. Sure the it's not like those in GW2, but enough to make it worth while and form a decent dance group in Kamadan.

    For those of you who, like me, start to walk away from GW2 and question playing altogether, join us in GW1 and then go back to GW2 after a few weeks.

    To GW1
    Yes!!

    very good videos, pitty that gw2 raids still more about gimmick than anythign else... lol

  • Liewec.2896Liewec.2896 Member ✭✭✭

    i love the memories that i have of GW1, but i imagine if i tried going back to it today it'd feel so dated,
    i had the same experience trying WoW again last year, such fond memories, but after playing GW2 everything just feels so archaic!

    so i'd probably vote "not to gw1"!

  • Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭

    There's regular FA matches every weekend evenings that I go to when I miss GW1 PvP (or JQ to see the /dancing guy who's still there since I went to the map for the first time years ago :D)

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Liewec.2896 said:
    i love the memories that i have of GW1, but i imagine if i tried going back to it today it'd feel so dated,
    i had the same experience trying WoW again last year, such fond memories, but after playing GW2 everything just feels so archaic!

    so i'd probably vote "not to gw1"!

    It's enough of a different game that you don't get that "lesser game" feeling. It takes a little bit to remember your hotkeys, but that's the same with any game.

    I love the fact I can chose my skills and key placement.

    For some reason I feel more of a connection with my GW1 characters, their armor/weapon combos than I do with my GW2 counterparts.

    I don't blame you for not feeling the same as I do. To each his own. Thanks for the comment.

    "That's what" -- She

  • Rashagar.8349Rashagar.8349 Member ✭✭✭

    I think the most jarring thing for me when I went back was the lack of jumping. They did a really good job of keeping the aesthetic recognisable between both games so I keep trying to jump despite my years experience of GW1.

  • Personally I got into GW2 first before GW1, and I think that GW2 is more 'modern' and less dated, but I feel like GW1 is a little more fun to play sometimes. Since GW1 has dual professions and more added-on professions from the campaigns, it seems a little more fun. The only problems I have with it is that it seems like they're 2 completely different games - one's more precise, strategic and dated and basically forces you to work with friends while the other is more laid back, and for anyone. Personally, they're both good, so you should definitely go back for nostalgia.

    ...and also, you can jump, but it's /jump in game. :smile:

  • Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Personally, I have never stopped playing GW1 aside of GW2, so I can very well understand that OP gets fun at going back to it. There are so many things I miss from GW1 in GW2... The list would be too long ! <3

    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

  • GW2 is a fine game. GFX and engine is a lot better than Guild Wars: Heck it even has Z-axis and the omnipotent ability to make avatars jump.

    Guild Wars, on the other hand, has heart, soul and the chance of picking up that random piece of loot that have you smiling for hours.
    Very different games: I really liked the vanilla GW2 - Never LOVED it like Guild Wars, but I liked it... Fractals/Agony/A new gear tier almost sent me away. HoT + Raids sealed that deal!
    Guild Wars recently saw a nice gfx update and a VERY nice QOL update: Still play and enjoy Guild Wars - Actually spent more on Guild Wars updates in recent months than I ever did on "gems" in GW2.
    Bottomline (in my case ofc): Guild Wars is an aging/old game but the atmosphere/mechanics draw me right back whenever I am giving my preferred MMO a rest. GW2: Nope - Not really.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.