A glimpse into the future

After the dragons awake after the culling of Kralkatorrik we soon face Jormag, Bubbles, Primordus...

The Commander, after a long journey of constant struggle and war has finally met his match from [???], killing him, and sending him to the mists. The, "living world," is reborn for a slight moment in the mists. In the mists, Asurans, Charr, Humans, Norns, Sylvari, and the 5 remaining Human gods work together to remake the world. All Guild Wars 2 achievements are retired and all items including cosmetics are transferred being, "soulbound," they follow you into the mists.

Guild Wars 3 is born and the world is remade exactly how it was prior to the Guild Wars with all prior history being etched into your Commander's soul. The Commander is given a gizmo to time travel back to pre-destruction Guild Wars 2 maps.

Zhaitan moves to attack Orr.

Also, engine upgrade.

@Neeman Oria.7504 said:

@derd.6413 said:and oceans of salt from ppl who are mad that you rested their progress

Yep. Best way to kill a game is to announce a sequel while it's still going.

But it's the same game!!!

that's irrelevant, if you announce a new game, ppl will leave either because they think they lost all their progress or because they feel scammed that this new ame is just the old one again

A novel idea, but all I can see is it backfiring.

By retiring all earned achievements and resetting the story back to the beginning, this 'update' will have wiped out the progress of a significant portion of players. Doing so is likely to turn many of those players off from playing the game, as they would have to make up that progress. Porting items/cosmetics over would do little to soften that kind of blow.

As for an engine update, I believe doing so would require the development of a whole new 'game', after which all items and progress would be ported over. Unfortunately, such a measure would be extremely expensive and time-consuming for what might amount to little gain.

@Cobra.6509 said:

@derd.6413 said:and oceans of salt from ppl who are mad that you rested their progress

not working at a sequel, not working at game itself, shout both (non)actions in your customers face, layoff 1/3 of your staff....is best way to ....?

.... Source for ArenaNet not working on Guild Wars 2, or is that just your opinion?

@Cobra.6509 said:

@"derd.6413" said:and oceans of salt from ppl who are mad that you rested their progress

not working at a sequel, not working at game itself, shout both (non)actions in your customers face, layoff 1/3 of your staff....is best way to ....?

They were working on other things that were not GW2 and their staff is now back on it as a consequence. They laid off mostly people who weren't working on GW2. Best way to get back on track.

Also nothing was "shouted" in our faces? What do you even mean? The fact they admitted that they were working on something in the back? Hardly a secret.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@"Calvsie.3675" said:Wait prior to THE GUILD WARS or just prior to the first Guild Wars game?Heck going back to 1070 AE sounds fascinating but there is much less interchange among the races...

I have to admit, replaying the Guild Wars storylines within the current engine would be awesome... Then, quite quickly, stale.

3 timelines... B)

The mists/ The "paradox"/ The "real" timeline

So what you're suggesting is... yeah, another reboot in the game industry. Not thrilled.The only advantage i see from this idea is that it could be a good way to erase inconsistencies in the lore, start fresh, and maybeeeee reintroduce the concept of guild wars in Guild Wars™

You don't mean Guild Wars 3, you mean for Guild Wars 2 to receive an engine update and it still being Guild Wars 2, just improved graphically (personally, I think the game still looks great even if it's not the latest and greatest) and performance-wise. Right? Sure, you can push out an expansion that alters the world with the ability to travel back to the old (current) world, that's fine, but that doesn't need to be Guild Wars 3. Also, why do they need to retire the current achievements? I'm all for them not retiring GW2 and rather giving it an engine update in due time and keeping everything going for decades if possible, I'm not at all for them killing all my years of investment. I'm old enough now that I wouldn't want to start a new MMO from scratch, especially not when I am as invested in GW2 as I am after soon-to-be 7 fantastic years. MMO's are such a commitment time wise that I'd probably just exclusively play single- and multiplayer games from then on. I guess I'd be fine with them renaming GW2 to GW3 if they did an immense update on a grand scale with an engine update and massive changes to the world without it actually removing old content, but then again they could just do an expansion. Depends what would make sense to market and advertise. I don't really see it happening anytime soon anyways. Luckily GW2 still looks great and with newer hardware being released over the coming years it will continue to have improved performance.

@"Neeman Oria.7504" said:After the dragons awake after the culling of Kralkatorrik we soon face Jormag, Bubbles, Primordus...

Jormag and Primordus have been put back to sleep for good. Also, I doubt it will be a "culling" like with Zhaitan and Mordremoth.

The Commander, after a long journey of constant struggle and war has finally met his match from [???], killing him, and sending him to the mists. The, "living world," is reborn for a slight moment in the mists. In the mists, Asurans, Charr, Humans, Norns, Sylvari, and the 5 remaining Human gods work together to remake the world. All Guild Wars 2 achievements are retired and all items including cosmetics are transferred being, "soulbound," they follow you into the mists.

Guild Wars 3 is born and the world is remade exactly how it was prior to the Guild Wars with all prior history being etched into your Commander's soul. The Commander is given a gizmo to time travel back to pre-destruction Guild Wars 2 maps.

Also, engine upgrade.

...and then we all wake up from a wonderful dream. ;) A shame indeed.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Neeman Oria.7504" said:After the dragons awake after the culling of Kralkatorrik we soon face Jormag, Bubbles, Primordus...

Jormag and Primordus have been put back to sleep for good. Also, I doubt it will be a "culling" like with Zhaitan and Mordremoth.

Also, engine upgrade.

...and then we all wake up from a wonderful dream. ;) A shame indeed.

But who shot J.R.?!?!?!

Archived