Roaming with the Warclaw-updating your tactics so you can play the way you enjoy.

Nightshade.2570

In this discussion I am hoping to engage experienced WvWers to post up ideas or things they have tried to help all the people who are finding it hard to adjust to the new warclaw playstyle and how to continue to play the game in the manner they enjoy.

It is true that sitting at a spawn in stealth and killing players as they leave it-is pretty dead. It is also a lot harder to catch people among st the ruins as they try to return to a commander because they were afk or on a break. If one/two shot stealth builds were the way you enjoyed playing you are going to find that that has definitely gone away. However, thats good as it discouraged players from wvwing and not having those players means less people to fight in the long run.

So I am going to list a few of the things i have tried on my own with one or two friends to engage in the roaming play style.

1. We loaded up on mark traps and would drop them in known spots so that we could mark our targets and more easily follow them around when they got out of sight. Typically we found that people would pop all the evades then slow down when they got out of view of us. We would then stealth on our warclaws catch up quickly and take them out at that point from surprise. It gets pretty fun to hunt your prey and often found it to be alot more mentally rewarding. *this works well solo roaming to

2. We began following tags a distance whenever they would engage in a fight we would pick off the enemy strays or the people trying to run back to the fight.

3. We would look for orange swords and or swords on large things like keeps so we could set up little traps for people. Have one player on mount another off and have the first nonmounted player try to blast the mount down (I mean7k damage is easy when they arent expecting it) then the mounted player would pounce the down.)

There are probably a million more ways you can do this but honestly there are still ways to roam. I would encourage those of you struggling to roam out there to go a bit outside the box and think up new ways/builds that will work well with this new style of play.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@"Kylden Ar.3724" said:Ganking.

You're talking about ganking.

Roamers/Havoc actually help take and defend objectives.

You must be one of those that want PvP fully removed from the game mode.

Anyone that hits you is a dirty ganker! I spent hours looking up the perfect zerg build and its ruined!!!

The op is 100% describing ganking. 2v1 and 3v1 is what "kills" roaming, not warclaw as some like to parakeet.

@Justine.6351 said:

Anyone that hits you is a dirty ganker! I spent hours looking up the perfect zerg build and its ruined!!!

The op is 100% describing ganking. 2v1 and 3v1 is what "kills" roaming, not warclaw as some like to parakeet.

2v1 is not even bad odds lmfao. You ever been zerged down before? Where's my anti zerg mount that auto WPs me back to spawn, I just can't handle dying.

Sounds like you prefer dueling and circlejerk circles, which are ACTUALLY killing roaming compared to a party of 2 or 3 looking for fights.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:Ganking.

That's a strawman.

A ganker focuses exclusively on killing players.

A Roamer will kill players as they find them. But they actually do more than sit in one location and set up ambushes. They capture camps, join other zergs to help them take objectives. Run supplies. And inform their team about incoming forces.

Funny thing is all these pro mount players constantly complains about roamers while describing ganking than in game are guilty of ganking on their mount which is far easier now. Sure few builds/classes were used more commonly for bursts on u suspecting players or to 3v1 but it is definitely easier now with mounts just that they don’t view it as ganking cuz

Their doing the gankingThey can now better avoid being gankedAll classes now can effectively do it

Only thing warclaw did is take away the one small niche certain classes were more effective at than others and are now not really worth using lolGood job arenanet

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

2v1 is not even bad odds lmfao. You ever been zerged down before? Where's my anti zerg mount that auto WPs me back to spawn, I just can't handle dying.

Sounds like you prefer dueling and kitten circles, which are ACTUALLY killing roaming compared to a party of 2 or 3 looking for fights.

Right, ganking people 3v1 is "looking for fights".

so readers may have it clear:

• Ganking = toxic, bad for the gamemode.
  • Roaming = Good, improve the community.

Mounts = Bad for ganking, good for roaming.So everybody is clear how a ganker ks different from a roamer.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:A ganker focuses exclusively on killing players.

A Roamer will kill players as they find them. But they actually do more than sit in one location and set up ambushes. They capture camps, join other zergs to help them take objectives. Run supplies. And inform their team about incoming forces.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

That's a strawman.

Sounds like a ganker is a roamer that stopped giving a shit about score lol. Guess I'm a 'ganker'.

The only time I remotely care about capping a camp is when enemies want it too. Or when dailies are up.

@Justine.6351 said:

Sounds like you prefer dueling and kitten circles, which are ACTUALLY killing roaming compared to a party of 2 or 3 looking for fights.

Right, because all I do is fight 3v1 and never 3v5. Get some friends maybe?

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

That's a strawman.

Sounds like a ganker is a roamer that stopped giving a kitten about score lol. Guess I'm a 'ganker'.

The only time I remotely care about capping a camp is when enemies want it too. Or when dailies are up.

Or a Ganker that stopped caring about pips I guess. I'm a thief... so it's not like I got room to talk here.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:The only time I remotely care about capping a camp is when enemies want it too. Or when dailies are up.

Now now, don't kill a player when they're trying to take a camp. We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings by ganking them and all. You should obviously PM them first and ask for permission to engage them in battle on the PvP focused maps. /s

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

That's a strawman.

Sounds like a ganker is a roamer that stopped giving a kitten about score lol. Guess I'm a 'ganker'.

Or a Ganker that stopped caring about pips I guess. I'm a thief... so it's not like I got room to talk here.

If you kill enough people, you don't even have to worry about pips.

I play like every class in the game but am tired of being boxed into thief and soulbeast because nothing else can keep up with the mount shit show.

This mode shall hereby be known from this moment on as CareVsCare. Bring out your feather dusters, it's time to tickle your opponent into giving up - but wait, there's more! If you politely offer them a foot rub, they may even let you take the camp - nay, their keep! This is riveting gameplay folks, the pinnacle has been reached!

For realsies though, your pixels are not really hurt or dying, they merely assume a different form. PvP!? What is this fabled unicorn thy speaketh of? Don't you be bringing that kind of talk here, you be stinging the ears of Quaggan Daboof, and Daboof don't like that.

OP was describing killing reinforcements, a valid strategy especially for the outnumbered side.

Last week or so there was a huge fight at NC in TCAB, all 3 sides were in the camp fighting. Some of us started intercepting enemy reinforcements just south of NC. Didn't take long for the ganking label to get spammed in PM's. Zerglings actually expect to run across 3/4 of the map, most of it through enemy territory and if you attack them your are a freakin ganker. Ridiculous!.

@sneakytails.5629 said:OP was describing killing reinforcements, a valid strategy especially for the outnumbered side.

Last week or so there was a huge fight at NC in TCAB, all 3 sides were in the camp fighting. Some of us started intercepting enemy reinforcements just south of NC. Didn't take long for the ganking label to get spammed in PM's. Zerglings actually expect to run across 3/4 of the map, most of it through enemy territory and if you attack them your are a freakin ganker. Ridiculous!.

This. And now its nearly impossible to do with the mount alone or in groups of less than 4. Please OP and anyone else, explain how you would kill a player (1v1) that is trying to go to an objective while he's mounted? I find it to honestly be near impossible unless the enemy chooses to actually fight you. If you're not mounted they can simply outrun you. If you are and you engage them you are instantly dismounted (they are not) and they can still outrun you + evade 3 times to avoid whatever you throw at them on foot. 95% of the time any attempt to engage an enemy player that does not want to be engage will be unsuccesful if you dont significantly outnumber them (unless they go in water or something).

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

I feel weird because i have to agree with QQ (as side note, you should know that besides ganking, siege throw, body jump or any kinda of bm its totally fine with me, what makes me not really take you serious is when your guild also rage whisper, but i do like the salt too)

But besides that, its pointless now, these people are just pugs who join casually to wvw and expect a peacefull pve map with no danger so they can reach the commander and spam autoattack for loot. They dont have idea what is a havoc guild, what is about small scale fights, or how important is to actually cut reinforcements, they still think this is 2013 when we were many roaming/havoc guilds to fight eachother, when the numbers now are really low and very sad how wvw population kept dying over the years, which basically made us just adapt to zerg tail hunt style and force lonely people or small groups respawning to fight us in order to keep the small scale fight style alive. Most of the people posting here probs just play 2-3hrs per week anyway.

I just been playing Soulbeast atm, easy counter to mount, if im alone i have to use rapid fire with quickness and thats pretty enough to dismount, usually if im with guildies they will also help to kill the pug, its kinda mandatory to have at least 1 soulbeast as "dismounter" lol

But still like you said, im getting really bored, this situation killed the diversity of being multiclass roamer, probs its time to finally take a break of the game.

@"Mechanix.9315" said:

I feel weird because i have to agree with QQ (as side note, you should know that besides ganking, siege throw, body jump or any kinda of bm its totally fine with me, what makes me not really take you serious is when your guild also rage whisper, but i do like the salt too)

Don't look at me bro, I hate rage whisperers. I tell them all to stop messaging me pointless garbage. I prefer respawning and finding your ass to kill you rather than wasting my time with that dumb chat shit. If there was an option to only accept whispers from contacts, I would have checked it years ago.

But at the same time, I'm not gonna go through my guild's chat logs lol, nobody is anyone's mommy in here. We target skills at the same people as a guild that's it, whispers are personal 1 on 1 affairs.

@sneakytails.5629 said:OP was describing killing reinforcements, a valid strategy especially for the outnumbered side.

Kylden and I never said killing enemy players = big meanie. We are just calling it like we see it, ganking. Hardly a new concept, certainly not something to pat eachother on the back for.

I'm not sure anything the small-group wvw community can say to these people will change their mind, 6 years later and people still crying about gank existing.

If you are on a zerg build, and off tag for any reason, be it because you died, because you're slow, mispositioned in a fight, whatever, it doesn't matter, then it's go time for gank, and that's your fault. And for single people, again, map/immediate awareness, if you have poor awareness then that is a weakness in your playstyle, a much easier one to punish for gankers. The point, almost always a large responsibility for you being ganked is on you.

All that aside, these same people complaining have never been in a zerg that pin sniped or killed a smaller group knowing there was a more even fight available or spawn camped a weaker group etc? Why is it ok for zergs to do 'tOxIc' behaviour but when a smaller scale group does it it's gank? I mean, lul, my precious zerg.

@Justine.6351 said:

Warkitty is promoting more "ganking"..What one player could do easily is now being done by several players in unison..

Warkitty has amplified what people hated most, in order to adapt to the new roaming we now have to take more cheese than ever.

It's really poetic, especially with people celebrating about not being ganked by roamers because they have no idea how roaming is evolving right now.It encourages everything that people hated, even spawn camping.

Not only that but some classes like Tempest have no place anymore until they allow the mount to be CC'd, so now theres more reasons to play thief or condi puke mes.

As to OP: Carry guild ballistas and a friend with stealth, set up a ballista on the fly and shoot people down with siege.Have also been spawn camping more and setting up traps..I have been tapping keeps endlessly to force people into a fight..One dude rolled me with a group, poor guy was mountless so I kept hunting him down on my mount till he logged off map..Im doing all of this now instead of roaming on Tempest fighting over sentries...

All thanks to Warkitty :heart:

Archived