The next step to make wvw better

Balsa.3951

A while ago I wrote wvw needs more mobility and we got warclaw

Let’s try my luck again

A wvw map which is empty at the start of each 3 months. Just 3 spawn points with mats and some small objectives like kill rare beast etc.

Boring I know but let’s start

The ability to claim land and build ur own castle. Each of the 3 server or with a new system fractions can built their castle on a point they like. The fraction leader can decide castle location but members can as well individual built certain parts of the castle.

The fraction leader can built the castle quite freely in shape but with a cost of mats which must be gathered. Perhaps the first 3 days of the war season are so that the fractions can’t attacking each other

Towers and walls can be built by squads

Structures like walls and towers who are not fully built up in a certain time frame will self destruct

This is a very rough idea so far but I believe this could create a true living world wvw experience

@Balsa.3951 said:This is a very rough idea so far but I believe this could create a true living world wvw experienceAnd the first thing that will happen in this true living world WvW experience will be that whichever server has the most people simply builds heavy fortifications around the enemy spawnpoints so they cant get out.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Balsa.3951 said:This is a very rough idea so far but I believe this could create a true living world wvw experienceAnd the first thing that will happen in this true living world WvW experience will be that whichever server has the most people simply builds heavy fortifications around the enemy spawnpoints so they cant get out.

Most people with pve mats also.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:So you want more PvE?

Not more than already is in killing npcs in camps to gather resources is not new. And the 3 days gathering are a short time pve only but with a lot team interaction. And organization

Resources gathering/ building/ claiming land which could e from tactical benefit

Perhaps even a double the xp for those 3 days event to get more motivation and steer interest in wvw for new player each season

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Like I said the first 3 days h would be separated and built a wall around another castle is ok it can be destroyed via siege.

The maps and objectives would be not much different from now claim land for urself built a castle after ur outpost not main castle is built it functions as a regular castle like wvw already has only differences is it’s built on a player chosen spot (inside certain limits)

Only thing I’m not sure now is what happened if a fraction looses their main castle but this could be also follow the wvw rules as they are now (loosing ur main castle means loosing some points in how fast u gather wvw xp)

@displayname.8315 said:OP that sounds like what they are attempting in Camelot Unchained. Pretty cool but wouldn't expect GW2 to remake the casual end game at this point. Still fun to play while waiting for a good MMO to come out.. been years now with just the eastern grind fest cute girl anime stuff.

Anets motivation I agree might be lower bcs it will be harder to sell skins with this mode than mounts but maybe by improving wvw it makes more ppl want play and buy wvw related. Gemshop items.

More commander badges, banner backpack skins mount skins castle decoration

That's close to how Age of Conan guild siege worked except there had to be scheduled windows of claimed attack by another guild. It was a guild effort to team harvest, gather, and build over time and in preparation for future sieges but there could be some hard feelings after watching it all burn, I remember only a few sieging guilds staying mostly together for a long time.

@Balsa.3951 said:

@displayname.8315 said:OP that sounds like what they are attempting in Camelot Unchained. Pretty cool but wouldn't expect GW2 to remake the casual end game at this point. Still fun to play while waiting for a good MMO to come out.. been years now with just the eastern grind fest cute girl anime stuff.

Anets motivation I agree might be lower bcs it will be harder to sell skins with this mode than mounts but maybe by improving wvw it makes more ppl want play and buy wvw related. Gemshop items.

More commander badges, banner backpack skins mount skins castle decoration

I was hoping the stronghold PvP mode would be like mini WvW. Before that hoping EotM would be the place for fights.

Too bad the original WvW talent went over to Amazon games and stuff. Speaking of the New World MMO could have some promise too but still in progress as well...

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:I want a time-out toggle for when I'm feeling too stressed and need a safe space

A semi permanent personal shield. It lasts for 30 minutes, keeps you from AFK kicks, and it counts towards circle captures.

Oh, and it spawns a full service bar in your home. Because it’s Happy Hour Somewhere.

This is definitely going to be a gemstore item now

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:I want a time-out toggle for when I'm feeling too stressed and need a safe space

A semi permanent personal shield. It lasts for 30 minutes, keeps you from AFK kicks, and it counts towards circle captures.

Oh, and it spawns a full service bar in your home. Because it’s Happy Hour Somewhere.

This is definitely going to be a gemstore item now

Sign me up.

A seasonal resetting domination mode could be a really cool thing. It could even be monetized as such. The issue with the suggestion is that it is way too grand in scope compared to what Arena Net have been able to achieve with WvW so far (ie., unrealistic) and that any community goodwill or interest towards any such projects are largely blown by what Arena Net has done to WvW so far.

So, the basics of the idea are cool and I'm not one to yell "for a different game" when grandieuse ideas are put forward but it is certainly a large-scoped project that should be well down on a priority list of interesting things for WvW in GW2. If they succeed in making the game mode vibrant again first, and reclaim the hearts of its playerbase, it may be something to look into for the future. It could be a good thing, but it is certainly not the next step, way later.

The reality of the situation is that GW2 is headed towards its 7th birthday and WvW is its least popular game mode. Changes in WvW particularly large ones cost ANet money they cannot get back so expecting any kind of substantial rewrite to a map or core mechanic is extremely unlikely.

A change like this will easily run into the millions with no chance of recouping that investment.

Archived