Vendor to exchange Gem store items

Just an idea, but how about a vendor where you could either A) Re-sell gem store items such as 1-permanent passes, 2-salvage-matics. 3-items that can go into your bags for half their SALE price gems, OR B) allow us to trade them in for a like item for half the price (I.E. trade in a royal terrace pass for a Armistice Bastion pass for 500 gems). Some people are reluctant to buy items because they have excess amounts or already own a like item. This would give them options where they would have an incentive to spend more Gems.

Well as an example, I have the royal terrace pass. Though I would be interested in purchasing the "Lily of the elon Lounge pass" but won't because why would I spend 1000 gems for basically a duplicate of what I have, location being the only difference, however trading in my royal terrace pass and 500 gems would be an option. it would still require me to purchase 500 gems. at least they would have an additional way to obtain revenue that they would not otherwise get.

What would stop people from getting gems back when they buy an item to try it out then tire of it, which means they’ll be getting items at a discount, and then not buying anything else or reselling/vendoring to get gems back before they leave the game so they’ll have a stockpile of gems if they decide to return, leaving ANet with a loss of income.

@"Pagan Highlander.5948" said:Well as an example, I have the royal terrace pass. Though I would be interested in purchasing the "Lily of the elon Lounge pass" but won't because why would I spend 1000 gems for basically a duplicate of what I have, location being the only difference

Except that the location of the Lily is the key difference, and it's a very important difference. A better example of a trivial difference would be the Captain's Airship Pass and the Royal Terrace Pass. Neither location is wildly interesting, but the Lily pass, like the ones for Noble's Folly and the Lava Lounge, takes you somewhere interesting (respectively Crystal Oasis, an instance next to Verdant Brink, and Ember Bay). The Mistlock Sanctuary is another special case, since it has extra stuff in it, and the exit portal can take you to more places.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Pagan Highlander.5948" said:Well as an example, I have the royal terrace pass. Though I would be interested in purchasing the "Lily of the elon Lounge pass" but won't because why would I spend 1000 gems for basically a duplicate of what I have, location being the only difference

Except that the location of the Lily is the
key
difference, and it's a very important difference. A better example of a trivial difference would be the Captain's Airship Pass and the Royal Terrace Pass. Neither location is wildly interesting, but the Lily pass, like the ones for Noble's Folly and the Lava Lounge, takes you somewhere interesting (respectively Crystal Oasis, an instance next to Verdant Brink, and Ember Bay). The Mistlock Sanctuary is another special case, since it has extra stuff in it, and the exit portal can take you to more places.

and some people (like me!) would argue that since the Mistlock is in the game there isn't even any reason for other to exist ;)

@Khisanth.2948 said:

key
difference, and it's a very important difference. A better example of a trivial difference would be the Captain's Airship Pass and the Royal Terrace Pass. Neither location is wildly interesting, but the Lily pass, like the ones for Noble's Folly and the Lava Lounge, takes you somewhere interesting (respectively Crystal Oasis, an instance next to Verdant Brink, and Ember Bay). The Mistlock Sanctuary is another special case, since it has extra stuff in it, and the exit portal can take you to more places.

and some people (like me!) would argue that since the Mistlock is in the game there isn't even any reason for other to exist ;)

There's a minor case for Noble's Folly and the Lily, since they give a new character a way to quickly get to the HoT areas or Elona if the account doesn't have a relevant guild hall, but aside from that, you're not wrong. (The similar case for the Lava Lounge is easily debunked by a reference to the portal scroll for Ember Bay, which even puts you in a more useful place anyway.)

And there's also the new one, which I visited briefly to see what it was like. (I have a certain amount of a "gotta catch 'em all" feeling about those passes.)

key

There's a minor case for Noble's Folly and the Lily, since they give a new character a way to quickly get to the HoT areas or Elona if the account doesn't have a relevant guild hall, but aside from that, you're not wrong. (The similar case for the Lava Lounge is easily debunked by a reference to the portal scroll for Ember Bay, which even puts you in a more useful place anyway.)

And there's also the new one, which I visited briefly to see what it was like. (I have a certain amount of a "gotta catch 'em all" feeling about those passes.)

There is also Spearmarshal's Plea for PoF. The difference is a couple of loading screens.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

key

There is also Spearmarshal's Plea for PoF. The difference is a couple of loading screens.

Good point, once you've done enough of the Griffon stuff.

key

Good point, once you've done enough of the Griffon stuff.

That just requires finishing the PoF story on one character. It doesn't need anything griffon related.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Trading stuff in for Statuettes is probably the neatest and most realistic option.

This is what I'd like to see. And it would also help sales of BLC keys. For people who can expect to receive mostly duplicates of things they have stacks of unused in inventory, buying keys can become a really bad option. But if they can always trade in the unusable stuff while hoping for those rares they don't have, they might still keep buying.Of course, it may be that such people continue to buy keys anyway - but I have to think at least some business is lost as people become increasingly reluctant to buy because they already have all the style kits and revive orbs they'll ever need.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:What would stop people from getting gems back when they buy an item to try it out then tire of it, which means they’ll be getting items at a discount, and then not buying anything else or reselling/vendoring to get gems back before they leave the game so they’ll have a stockpile of gems if they decide to return, leaving ANet with a loss of income.

I think the easiest way to stop that is to make it an exchange or an up-sell. This way no one would get any gems back. I have multiple copper fed as I bought them before the introduction of shared slots. I'd love to trade in 1 or 2 to get a silver fed but I'm not going to purchase a silver fed as long as I have multiple copper feds. Same goes for unlimited tools. On my main acct I have 19 sets (that's sets, not tools) of unlimited tools which I purchased before the addition of multiple different types or shared slots, I'd love to purchase the additional skins but since I already have an unlimited tool it doesn't make sense to do so. If I could trade them in for the other skins I'd gladly do it. To stop the revolving door of trading in the same tool for the next release, they could add a check to allow it once per item. This way there would be a smaller chance of buyers remorse and would possibly increases some purchasing as people would be less hesitant that the item they want to purchase will be made obsolete by the next great item of the same sort.

@Pagan Highlander.5948 said:Just an idea, but how about a vendor where you could either A) Re-sell gem store items such as 1-permanent passes, 2-salvage-matics. 3-items that can go into your bags for half their SALE price gems, OR B) allow us to trade them in for a like item for half the price (I.E. trade in a royal terrace pass for a Armistice Bastion pass for 500 gems). Some people are reluctant to buy items because they have excess amounts or already own a like item. This would give them options where they would have an incentive to spend more Gems.

The very idea behind this restriction is to not allow you just get the item from another player, but to buy it instead from Anet. Why would they want to cut their profits to please you? This subverts the mere idea of premium shop, which is here to squeeze some money from players.

Archived