To boost or wait?

So I decided to come back to GW2 after at least a 3 year break, and I purchased PoF and received a level 80 boost. When I last played years ago my max level was 44 before I quit. (Not a fan of the heart questing which got very tedious) I was wondering if I should level my recent character (Firebrand healing Guardian) the old fashion way and just grind through the quests and boost an alt OR just boost my main guardian considering you can still go through the main story despite your level being past the requirements.

The main reason I ask is because though I will do pve from time to time, the MAIN reason I came back was to hop mainly into pvp. And with the boost, I'd be able to work with going into WvW.

Really appreciate the opinions guys! Thanks!

1: Do not use boosts. This game has not a clear difference between low end content and endgame. You only skip the learning curve and most people feel lost.2: Hearts are not the core of the game and never have been. If you felt like it, you allready had the wrong idea. The game doesnt have a clear hand guiding you around (and often the hearts are mistaken for this). Play through from start with an open mind and forget everything you think you know about mmo's. Explore the world and see what it has to offer for you.3: keep the boost till you have a clear idea of the game and has a class you really understand, but do not want to level yourself.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:1: Do not use boosts. This game has not a clear difference between low end content and endgame. You only skip the learning curve and most people feel lost.2: Hearts are not the core of the game and never have been. If you felt like it, you allready had the wrong idea. The game doesnt have a clear hand guiding you around (and often the hearts are mistaken for this). Play through from start with an open mind and forget everything you think you know about mmo's. Explore the world and see what it has to offer for you.3: keep the boost till you have a clear idea of the game and has a class you really understand, but do not want to level yourself.

Thanks for the advice!

Just to add to what mercury said, and I agree completely...

The boost doesn't get you all the hero points or mastery points you'll need anyway. Since you're going to have to go and get those regardless, might as well learn your proferssion's skill set along the way.

It's my opinion that the level 80 boost is a stick designed to look like a carrot. It's intention is to get people to skip past the 'free' part of the game and get into a position where they will want/need to buy more stuff with real money sooner rather than later. You can't knock a company for trying to make an extra buck, but that doesn't mean the buying public has to use it. Eventually I did use my boost to make an inventory mule.

@Gorkus.7496 said:Just to add to what mercury said, and I agree completely...

The boost doesn't get you all the hero points or mastery points you'll need anyway. Since you're going to have to go and get those regardless, might as well learn your proferssion's skill set along the way.

It's my opinion that the level 80 boost is a stick designed to look like a carrot. It's intention is to get people to skip past the 'free' part of the game and get into a position where they will want/need to buy more stuff with real money sooner rather than later. You can't knock a company for trying to make an extra buck, but that doesn't mean the buying public has to use it. Eventually I did use my boost to make an inventory mule.

To clarify, you do get HPs when you use the boost. It fills all your basic HP slots and only leaves the elite specs requiring more HPs.

As to the rest, I think that's cynical. Really I think they wanted to give new players an incentive to start with the release of HoT and then of PoF. At each point, they didn't want people to be daunted by having to level a toon. The boost exists for them. Also it's almost certainly of value to any player at some point, so I for one am glad they do it.

I wouldn't use the boosts unless you just want to unlock the shared slot they're taking up, or want a character to get gliding/raptor mastery so you can get some mobility on your main.

If levelling to 80 is taking too long, look for a good guild and/or friends to make it go by faster.

@Biff.5312 said:

As to the rest, I think that's cynical. Really I think they wanted to give new players an incentive to start with the release of HoT and then of PoF. At each point, they didn't want people to be daunted by having to level a toon. The boost exists for them. Also it's almost certainly of value to any player at some point, so I for one am glad they do it.

I'll grant it may be a bit cynical, but it's also not incorrect. There are other examples I will gladly share if you are interested. That said, I'm not criticizing Anet for the practice. They are spot on incentivizing the monetization of their game. It is a business after all. If you or anyone wants and likes to boost, boost away! I used one of mine as well, just not for a playable character. Frankly, I just 'boosted' a new Revenant from level 45 to 80 just by crafting. She's level 80 but is working on the level 50 personal story.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I just wanna follow up and see if people still suggest to play through the content..

I still only pvp right now. I hardly pve. To be Frank, I have no intention or will to even want to do the pve.. I strictly would rather be Max level to do WvW than to experience the game. I've gone through too many mmorpgs (And still am) to want to commit so much time to leveling a toon at this moment, HOWEVER, if it's still recommended in regards to other aspects, then I might just gut it through. I looooove the pvp though.

Ending thoughts?

I guess I'll play the other side then.

Considering you already play PvP and I assume you're competent enough that you can understand your builds and can fight etc, the biggest barrier for Not using the boost is actually removed. You already know most of the base mechanics and build/combat system.

In that case, I wouldn't see anything wrong with using the boost to just skip that part, especially if you're really not interested in PVE/Story.

You can still go back and complete the story (which will scale you down, and you can grab some cheap green gear to complete the "feeling" if you want).

@Zafan.2960 said:Thanks for the responses everyone. I just wanna follow up and see if people still suggest to play through the content..

I still only pvp right now. I hardly pve. To be Frank, I have no intention or will to even want to do the pve.. I strictly would rather be Max level to do WvW than to experience the game. I've gone through too many mmorpgs (And still am) to want to commit so much time to leveling a toon at this moment, HOWEVER, if it's still recommended in regards to other aspects, then I might just gut it through. I looooove the pvp though.

Ending thoughts?

Despite being one to usually recommend against boosting before having (recently) leveled at least one character normally, I'd recommend you boost! It really seems perfect for your playstyle!However you choose to go, have fun :)