WvW-specific Gemstore Items.

Ronin.4501

Don't worry, I'm not about to suggest more boosters or anything similar to give any one player or server an advantage over the other...

One of the routine complaints I hear from WvW players is that Anet doesn't care about us, doesn't pay attention to us, etc., etc. And typically the response is that the WvW players are the least likely to actually spend money to buy gems (outside of transfers, which is really more of a problem rather than a solution), and being on the low-end of the revenue stream, we warrant the least attention.

So what if Anet gave us a few WvW-specific options in the gem store? Maybe if the WvW-based players were to spend a little more, it would give Anet more incentive to pay more attention to our player base. Specifically, I'm suggesting skins for the WvW crowd. A few ideas, such as:

1) Rank-based outfits. There are numerous outfits available in the gem store, so why not skins available only to players of a certain rank? Bronze-ranked skins, Silver-ranked skins, etc. And these skins could be worn outside of WvW, perhaps giving some of the non-WvW players more of an incentive to seriously give WvW a try and increase the player base. WvW gained an influx of PvE players last week when the Warclaw was introduced, but few stuck around for very long after they claimed their Warclaw, especially considering how the veteran players abused them given how much more builds matter in WvW maps, and very few of those players were running builds that were geared towards WvW. Give them an incentive to stick around in WvW for more than a few days and more than a few just might find they actually enjoy playing out there.2) Skins for keeps & towers. Offer up a few options that alter the appearance of a keep or tower, similar to the way the structures change appearance as they upgrade from T1 to T2 to T3. Possible options could be a charr-based skin (ie. something akin to the Black Citadel), norn-based skin (Hoelbrek), asura-based (Rata Sum) etc. Heck, it could even include skins based on some of the other races, such as quaggan (thus giving a player such as myself all the more incentive to capture it and replace it with something else, as I despise quaggan). Skins such as these could be applied when a guild claims a structure, so the skin itself would be placed in a guild's storage, and applied similarly to the way tactivators are applied (perhaps without a timer, or perhaps with a timer, thus giving a guild further incentive to hold/defend a structure). Furthermore, this could be implemented in such a way that skins would be available for the different maps, so there would be options for Alpine BL keeps/tower, Desert BL keeps/towers, and even the specific towers and keeps in EBG. Even Stonemist Castle.3) Skins for camps. Here my suggestion is not to have a skin available for the camp itself, but rather the guards. Personally I'm tired of seeing the same charr guards, human scouts, sylvari supervisor, etc. in every camp on every map. The options here could be even more varied, as you could have all sorts of variants in addition to race-based themes, but various outfits for each of the races based on what we already see those races wearing out in PvE. Again, these skins could be applied by the guilds that claim the camps, same as what I mentioned for keeps & towers.

I realize this idea might not appeal to everyone in WvW, but I've seen more than enough players who care as much about having the right appearance as they do about having the right build. Why not have Anet take advantage of it and generate more income off of it? And in return, we get a bit more of the attention that so many of us seem to crave in regards to making changes based upon what the WvW-based community wants?

It is not something I would use gems for (but that doesn't mean a lot as I have not bought gems in a few years now), but I see the appeal for something pure cosmetic and fun. I should definitely not involve any form of RNG (like a random skin or the mount adoption licnece etc.). If you wanted a Charr skin, you should get a Charr skin.PS: Why the guild's battle theme from the Tavern isn't played when you claim a structure is what I have always wondered since we had this feature. It is existing tech in game.

@Gorani.7205 said:It is not something I would use gems for (but that doesn't mean a lot as I have not bought gems in a few years now), but I see the appeal for something pure cosmetic and fun. I should definitely not involve any form of RNG (like a random skin or the mount adoption licnece etc.). If you wanted a Charr skin, you should get a Charr skin.PS: Why the guild's battle theme from the Tavern isn't played when you claim a structure is what I have always wondered since we had this feature. It is existing tech in game.

Are there seperate music themes? When a guild claims, it only plays the main theme or are there several ones? I suppose it would be nice but maybe length could be an issue? Haven't really listened to them hehe

@"Edward H Angle.1407" said:Why would they waste dev time (even less now after lay offs) on products for the smallest player base in the game?

Exactly. Right on the point. First they should think at real changes to bring more players in WvW. And only after to try to monetize WvW. If they do this now it is like they want to squeeze the last drop of income from the players seen as the "unavoidable pain in the .... shoes" for the most part of the game.

For the OP (and for the others posting on the same subject): PPL? Let ANet to think how they may increase the income. The only thing we, the players can write is what improvements to the game we want to see. The products for the gem store are not our business.

Archived