Accessories: "Equip in Slot 2" unavailable

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Are you sure you're not trying to slot a duplicate "unique" item into the second slot? e.g. two Althea's Ashes.

Nope. However, it is the same type of item (Black Ice Earring). You can drag & drop it directly into Slot 2 (as there is none of the kind in Slot 1), but you can't equip it directly via right-click. How odd...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Are you sure you're not trying to slot a duplicate "unique" item into the second slot? e.g. two Althea's Ashes.

Nope.
However
, it is the same
type
of item (Black Ice Earring). You can drag & drop it directly into Slot 2 (as there is
none
of the kind in Slot 1), but you can't equip it directly via right-click. How odd...

Black Ice Earrings are also unique.

Maybe you can take a screenshot of what you're experiencing. Perhaps something is getting lost in the description, otherwise it sounds very much like the symptoms of trying to slot two uniques.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Are you sure you're not trying to slot a duplicate "unique" item into the second slot? e.g. two Althea's Ashes.

Nope.
However
, it is the same
type
of item (Black Ice Earring). You can drag & drop it directly into Slot 2 (as there is
none
of the kind in Slot 1), but you can't equip it directly via right-click. How odd...

Black Ice Earrings are also unique.

Maybe you can take a screenshot of what you're experiencing. Perhaps something is getting lost in the description, otherwise it sounds very much like the symptoms of trying to slot two uniques.

you can slot a normal black ice earing if the other is infused or attuned.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Maybe you can take a screenshot of what you're experiencing. Perhaps something is getting lost in the description, otherwise it sounds very much like the symptoms of trying to slot two uniques.

I am trying to swap one "unique" (i.e., black ice) for another of the same kind (i.e., also black ice). The item in Slot 1 is of a different kind (petrified wood), so it should not block the availability of the right-click option.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:But the OP is saying they don't have the "equip in slot 2" option.

Exactly.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Maybe you can take a screenshot of what you're experiencing. Perhaps something is getting lost in the description, otherwise it sounds very much like the symptoms of trying to slot two uniques.

I am trying to swap one "unique" (i.e., black ice) for another of the same kind (i.e., also black ice). The item in Slot 1 is of a different kind (petrified wood), so it should not block the availability of the right-click option.Yes, I got that but I am not able to replicate the issue. (I even used Sparking Petrified Wood and Black Ice Earring.) Perhaps I'm not following the same steps as you. Perhaps there's something missing from the description.

Which is why I suggested a screenshot. That would help clear up any problem with the choice of words either of us are using.

Thanks for the screenshot. I'll take a look shortly and see if I can duplicate it.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Perhaps there's something missing from the description.

Not that I am aware of.If you were aware of it, it wouldn't be missing from your description of the situation.

For example, in this case, it wasn't clear to me from the original description that you were trying to replace a like-named item. I'll try that.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Perhaps there's something missing from the description.

Not that I am aware of.If you were aware of it, it wouldn't be missing from your description of the situation.

You don't say. ;)

Thanks for the screenshot. I'll take a look shortly and see if I can duplicate it.

Thanks.

Alright, I've duplicated the problem and it is the same for rings as for accessories. It's a common edge case that ANet didn't account for.

• As expected, you can equip any non-unique trinket into either slot (using right-click).
  • As expected (using right-click), you cannot equip slot 2 with an identical "unique" item that is in slot 1 and vice versa.
  • As expected (using right-click), you can replace into slot 1 an identical "unique" item, e.g. slot 1 has a Ring of Death and can be replaced with a different Ring of Death (even if both are equally infused|attuned|neither).
  • As expected (using right-click), the game doesn't care care if the items are of the same name with different upgrades (e.g. "Ring of Death" counts as a different item than "Attuned Ring of Death" and so on).
  • Unexpected: you cannot replace an item (using right-click) in the second slot with a duplicate of the same name. This applies to both rings and accessories.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

• As expected, you cannot equip slot 2 with an identical "unique" item that is in slot 1 and vice versa.[...]
  • Unexpected: you cannot replace an item in the second slot only with a duplicate of the same name. This applies to both rings and accessories.

But you can manually, and that is why I made this bug report in the first place, for whatever works manually should be working via right-click as well.

I don't have a strong sense of why the game is doing this. It could be the game is treating the second slot differently from the first or it could be that the "duplicate unique" check is being done out of order.

My preference for how ANet should fix the bug:Don't fix the bug.

Instead, remove the "unique" flag from all rings and accessories. It served a purpose back in the early days of ascended gear. Given how many non-unique ascended rings & accessories there are now, given how many rings & accessories veterans have, it no longer serves that purpose well.

Instead, it creates unnecessary confusion for newer players, unnecessary inventory management issues. It also seems that it would be simpler to resolve by removing "unique" as a factor, since that's a single script applied equally to all ascended trinkets. Fixing the bug involves a lot of troubleshooting to figure out where the issue is, testing the solution, and then hoping it doesn't break anything else.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
  • As expected, you cannot equip slot 2 with an identical "unique" item that is in slot 1 and vice versa.[...]
  • Unexpected:
    you cannot replace an item in the
    second slot
    only with a duplicate of the same name. This applies to both rings and accessories.

But you
can
manually, and
that
is why I made this bug report in the first place, for whatever works manually should be working via right-click as well.

Yes, I'm agreeing with you that it's a bug.(And further: I'm pointing out that the same bug affects rings, too, not just accessories.)

I apologize for not repeating "via right-clicking" in my description above.

Archived