Scorpion Wire

Gundam Style.8495

I have different experiences from the other side of the wire.

I had situations where i got pulled from positions i never thought it’s possible to get pulled from.

Like in a WvW Tower and you stand on the stairs of a wall.

To pull me, it had to go through the wall and it worked for the thief.

3 times.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:I have different experiences from the other side of the wire.

I had situations where i got pulled from positions i never thought it’s possible to get pulled from.

3 times.

I use it a lot and I've gotten used to not launching the wire unless I can see at least the front lip of player circle either on the ground or on a wall, I feel like that shows there will be less chance of topography or glitchy structure segments locking them down.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:I have different experiences from the other side of the wire.

3 times.

It used to yank people off of walls if they stood at the very edge. Not sure if it still does. But I've never seen it grab anyone if there was something in the way.

scorpion wire really just have 2 problems that make it unpredictable.

1. the projectile doesn't track, or even try to predict where the opponent will be. It only makes a beeline for where the opponent was when it was initially cast, so if opponent is running transversal relative to you, then it'll just miss and looks like it got obstructed.
  2. anything, and I mean anything other than flat ground, will affect the resulting pull. If it's a slope then the distance pull distance is shortened, if it's a small rock at the opponent's feet, then they come to a full stop.

feelsbadman.avi

I was targeting this scrapper in WvW once. He was standing still, all cocky like scrappers are, but that's also right where I want him to be, standing completely still like good little sheep. I approach my target and throw a Scorpion Wire from stealth, and the Scorpion Wire SHOOTS towards... the Skies!.. ?

... I am on the moon now. Pretty sure I am the first Thief on the moon. Sure is lonely up here.

All throwing stuff from thief is super unrealible it like stuffs you throw doesn't home in. So anyone on the other end simple get out of the way unless they are'nt moving. and some of them have a curve down projectile so it meet the floor

Couple it with Latency this make Scorpoin wire , Dancing dagger , impairing dagger . Always reported as Obstructed despite having a clear line of sight .

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@DeceiverX.8361 said:Jump-cast it.

Reliability increases tenfold if you do.

Along with the reliability of getting killed.... The only thing that is safe to jump cast is Staff 3.

Huh?

It's doing the same thing as doing the old jump-cast on IStrike, which doesn't affect anything in terms of getting killed.

If you're getting killed while jump-casting scorpion wire it's because you're locked into the scorpion wire animation, not because you jump-casted it.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

Along with the reliability of getting killed.... The only thing that is safe to jump cast is Staff 3.

Huh?

It's doing the same thing as doing the old jump-cast on IStrike, which doesn't affect anything in terms of getting killed.

If you're getting killed while jump-casting scorpion wire it's because you're locked into the scorpion wire animation, not because you jump-casted it.

Its because you're not allowed to take other actions in the air.

Even shadow step won't operate. So most people punish you for it.

Staff 3 is an evade. When you jump cast it, you still get your evade frames and the attack. Its good for baiting people with mobility.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

Huh?

Its because you're not allowed to take other actions in the air.

Even shadow step won't operate. So most people punish you for it.

Staff 3 is an evade. When you jump cast it, you still get your evade frames and the attack. Its good for baiting people with mobility.

Okay? Still doesn't really change anything. People have historically jump-casted a lot of non-evasion skills to get more out of them, like IStrike and Dancing Dagger. DDagger used to get extended range from jump-casting before they upped its projectile speed and fixed its physics roughly/the same patch as when they added torment to it. The use case for SWire is similar for both, too: a ranged threat. You shouldn't be using something so aggressive which sets you up to get punished if your opponent has the cooldowns to punish you in the first place. I made an entire build around SWire some time ago that was a nasty duelist. It's best-used from stealth into buffering other skills.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure using Shadowstep during Scorpion wire will lead to very unpredictable results even if it does land, so at that point you're burning two utilities for a failed aggressive play which really leads me to conclude you'll be heavily-punished for doing so, and have lost the fight in a few seconds regardless.

Lets just say the other day I was on my warrior running down the inside of a stair on a keep wall when an enemy pull pulled me from over that lip, with no LOS up and over the wall and down into the enemy mass.

I try the same with SW with guys standing on the lip firing their Longbows at me and get "obstructed'.

hell man shadow trap is still broken it works 50% of the time 25% of the time, shortbow 5 will still eat my ini and not shadowstep me while saying its obstructed with no more lead attack ooc its hurts doubly so and sword 2 return hasnt worked sometimes either. in all honesty shadowstep needs a good rework because im playing a class where some of my skills straight up dont work and at points punish me for even taking them. hell even our traps suck too compared to other trap skills that get a nice big circle we get a box. our traps arent even that good anyways i get a knock down, one that doesnt work, one that summons a thief (but theyre useless in pvp because we dont have anytraits to buff them) and the only usefull one that only works if your playing condi but why take that when you can take the venom.

@ArcanistSeven.8720 said:hell man shadow trap is still broken it works 50% of the time 25% of the time, shortbow 5 will still eat my ini and not shadowstep me while saying its obstructed with no more lead attack ooc its hurts doubly so and sword 2 return hasnt worked sometimes either. in all honesty shadowstep needs a good rework because im playing a class where some of my skills straight up dont work and at points punish me for even taking them. hell even our traps suck too compared to other trap skills that get a nice big circle we get a box. our traps arent even that good anyways i get a knock down, one that doesnt work, one that summons a thief (but theyre useless in pvp because we dont have anytraits to buff them) and the only usefull one that only works if your playing condi but why take that when you can take the venom.

I totally ageee,arenanet needs to stop focusing on ways to nerf thief and actually think of ways to bring the class up to levels of other classes.traps need updating bad,not only are they horrible dps the aoe range to trigger are small compared to other classes. Half the time scorpion wire,shadow trap and other shadowsteps buff out and usually lead to death. Infiltrator arrow is inconsistent as well,half time u don’t port but lose initiative or ill get obstructed places u shouldn’t be. Almost all thief utilities exept a few are a waste of a spot these days and are in need of updating bad.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:

Does Jump-casting improve the tracking?

Jump casting adjusts the shoddy line of sighting with projectiles the game currently has. It's a common technique when done with short-bow, as it allows the arrow to go to the maximum range (Which it doesn't quite often), and it also allows it the thief to port over certain rocks, or taller rocks if you move backwards while jumping.

Jump Casting a scorpion wire is a little riskier, as you aren't being moved any longer, and once you're up in the air you're commited (Can't cancel it). But it solves the same problem with Infiltrator's arrow. Remember, that if people get used to seeing you jump in combat and cast something, they will likely interrupt and punish you immediately the next time you do it.

Archived