Scrapper WvW build - Roaming

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Hello Peeps, been a while since I started a topic.

I used to main scrapper with a build I made (never seen anyone else run it) and I loved it. Swift nerfs killed the build and I ended up moving to another class. I tried many times over the last year or 2 to make a scrapper build that I enjoyed playing but was also at least somewhat viable but without success.

With the changes to Scrapper Gyros (which was the premise of my thoerycrafted build before) it gave me hope that I may co-main it. I have thrown together a build and wanted to see what you all think. Constructive criticism is appreciated. I want to love my scrapper again.

If you have any questions on why I picked what, lemme know. Im not aiming to min-max, just to optimize. :)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC9dhFpCuoCEqilBjKc/SnAj+xz8N/LAWv3D-j1BCQB2THQQ2fYkKBZwDAAAXAgKp+jFV+RKgqUGB-w

1.) Keep em melee and ideally start with Stealth gyro, Blast Gyro, throw down Hammer 5 on enemy, then the hammer leap for the CC in the field, blast gyro goes off as well in the field then Hammer 4.2.) Don't plan on dismounting. Im a decent enough roamer to find the fights and know better than to not blow my cd's on a mounted player. If I wanted to dismount, id go either pewpew ranger or some condi build ;)3.) Pack offers the precision bonus I want and im already getting my movement boost from my traits, however both Pack and Fireworks could work if I wanted to re-trait.

Hey, dig the stats and the build. For roaming, I only see a few things that concern me. You really have no condition cleanse. And no cripple, most people I fight since I've been roaming will just move away from melee. Even other melee players, you can get kited pretty hard. I hate it. And since you don't have Rapid Regeneration, and you like to solo more. I'd switch the Shocking Speed to Perfectly Weighted. I also like Applied Force with all the might you should be able to stack with your rune choice and traits. But losing Adaptive Armor might be losing too much sustain. Anyways, good luck my fellow Scrapper!

Yeah, looks like it gets kited and outranged pretty easily (problem with hammer scrapper in general, but very noticeable when roaming). Since you're running Explosions anyway, I would probably take Grenadier and swap Blast Gyro for Grenade Kit. Grenade barrage burst hits like a truck (12k+) in a large aoe and you can do it out of stealth with Sneak Gyro.

Grenades can also cripple at range with another Explosions trait Shrapnel, and Freeze Grenade has Chill to slow your opponents down even more.

@coro.3176 said:Yeah, looks like it gets kited and outranged pretty easily (problem with hammer scrapper in general, but very noticeable when roaming).Not only that, it has zero direct condi cleanse. I think a roaming build really should be more flexible. This seems more the type of build that would run in smallscale melee balls and have a pocket guardian. But hey I dont mind, just fairly sure that if I'm on my hybrid mirage I would kite this to death and if I'm on my condi scrapper it would burn to death :p

Much as i love scrapper ( i played it in pvp extensively when HOT was released) i never really like it in WvW. As mentioned above it gets kited hard. Now with higher uptime of superspeed you do have better in combat mobility than before but generally a scrappers only real gap closer is rocket charge.

You taking rocket boots removes your ability to proc weapon swap sigils. Your lack of condi cleans means you almost have to take sigil of cleansing which is just so OP in wvw.

Ive been playing scrapper a fair bit in wvw since the patch and its fun in a group but not so much as a solo roamer. So if you can play with friends in a dedicated comped group of even 5 people its a lot of fun. Unfortunately when i play i start off solo roaming and then kinda just meet up with other solo roamers in a non grouped way. Or i will zerg surf a battle. Either way i cant rely on pugs doing what they need to. So last night i switched back to Power Rev for half the evening and boy nothing beats appearing out of nowhere raining holy hell on someone like only a Rev can.

I appreciate the feedback people :)

Cleanse is the biggest drawback to this build, that I will admit. Ive rarely used kits or even turrets (including the heal). I did run condi fo rth elongest time, however the changes to gyros don't appear to really improve the condi game. Even when I mained scrapper ( RIP BBB build) COndi (ie reaper) was my biggest bane. Purge gyro wasn't as helpful. Before I ran scrapper, I was a P/P engi who ran elixirs so my cleanse game was good. I loved the gyros soooo much tho lol.

@"Dawdler.8521"

I currently main a DPS non meta mirage atm that I am still tweaking after the nerf to Illusionary Ambush (RIP).

I never thought about taking nades as I found they weren't that strong (never looked recently to see if/how they have been buffed/nerfed lately tho)

Hows this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoClYhFpCepCEqil3ii+4D+hPcEjoU7bomwAA-j1BCQB2THADeAAWU5XQ2foSq/MSlgA4CAQKgqUGB-w

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:I appreciate the feedback people :)

Cleanse is the biggest drawback to this build, that I will admit. Ive rarely used kits or even turrets (including the heal). I did run condi fo rth elongest time, however the changes to gyros don't appear to really improve the condi game. Even when I mained scrapper ( RIP BBB build) COndi (ie reaper) was my biggest bane. Purge gyro wasn't as helpful. Before I ran scrapper, I was a P/P engi who ran elixirs so my cleanse game was good. I loved the gyros soooo much tho lol.

@"Dawdler.8521"

I currently main a DPS non meta mirage atm that I am still tweaking after the nerf to Illusionary Ambush (RIP).

I never thought about taking nades as I found they weren't that strong (never looked recently to see if/how they have been buffed/nerfed lately tho)

Hows this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoClYhFpCepCEqil3ii+4D+hPcEjoU7bomwAA-j1BCQB2THADeAAWU5XQ2foSq/MSlgA4CAQKgqUGB-wWell if you replace explosives with alchemy and grenade kit with elixir gun, you pretty much got todays meta power scrapper :pIts really all just personal preference. You can build the engie however you want. I still run p/p with tools/firearms (perma 66% swiftness in combat with speed runes). I find any build without toolkit to be weak when roaming. That block and pull is just invaluable. If I where to choose power, I would probably use the same skills (heal gyro, toolkit, bulwark, purge, sneak) but go with a zerker/marauder rifle glasscannon (for the lulz, I normally run sustain builds). Dont like the melee.

Sidenote: I replaced ambush with arcane thievery on my mirage. Less mobility, but helps vs boon heavy builds. Tried advance but I just kept doubletap spamming it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:I appreciate the feedback people :)

Hows this:

Well if you replace explosives with alchemy and grenade kit with elixir gun, you pretty much got todays meta power scrapper :pIts really all just personal preference. You can build the engie however you want. I still run p/p with tools/firearms (perma 66% swiftness in combat with speed runes). I find any build without toolkit to be weak when roaming. That block and pull is just invaluable. If I where to choose power, I would probably use the same skills (heal gyro, toolkit, bulwark, purge, sneak) but go with a zerker/marauder rifle glasscannon (for the lulz, I normally run sustain builds). Dont like the melee.

Sidenote: I replaced ambush with arcane thievery on my mirage. Less mobility, but helps vs boon heavy builds. Tried advance but I just kept doubletap spamming it.

For Mirage, Advance was only good very few times. Never thought about Arcane Thievery tho. I was using that Mirror shard one (cant remember its name) as teh damage is pretty decent. The withdrawl one doesnt leap far enough

For Scrapper, egun never really tickled my fancy in aa DPS build. I also tried toolkit with a condi scrapper build (SNeak gyro > toolkit pull, prybar and p/p burst used to hurt). I wish they never nerfed the elixirs. Had a decent build with them. I will try nades as I should have a ranged(ish) option and it does inflict cripple (which is important apparently lol)

I've been fiddling with a similar build in WvW since the gyro rework. Here's mine: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBFpilcBuoCEqil0i6bDDgQke6b+oPMq6oaD-jVCEQBJSdmoo8wd6Ay2FAAAPAAHqELQKBj3+D+TlBSBw6yI-w.

That it traits bomb kit but runs toolkit might look odd, but explosions granting fury is what I'm after with Short Fuse. And I find the pull from toolkit to be invaluable in countering enemy mobility.

Scrapper really can be tanky as hell now. I switched back to holosmith yesterday and fought some scrappers. It was most of the time an endless fight with the scrapper barriering/healing itself up and me using holo's mobility to Keep out of range whenever necessary.

Even more when 2 scrappers meet, they are unable to kill each other except one has a much better skill.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623Condis can hurt, but I don't want to sacrifice a slot for purge gyro. Healing turret plus inventions is a cleanse of three condis every 14 secs. Sigil of cleansing turns toolkit into a cleanse of three condis every 9 secs. And the leadership runes make sneak gyro another cleanse of three every 45 secs. But I very much rely on blocks to prevent condi application as well.

I rely more on Bunker Down for fury and damage than I do the bomb on dodge. I did try Minesweeper and actually found it to be weaker than the minor trait it replaces. The minor trait bomb hit for twice the damage of any single mine from Minesweeper, and enemies would be too wise to the mines to eat all three.

Just for the lols, I've been running a full celestial scrapper since patch and it is extremely fun. I hardly die if I pay attention and usually I outlast any other opponent. Sure, if they want to run they can do it on their own terms, but so can I. It is a troll build that can do a nice spike of damage with critical damage + thunderclap + blast gyro & rocket charge.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoCdpiFpCuoCEqilJji+tr7+W8ZKgAAs6yuQC-j1RGABRp8bM1fA4CAwx+D0pD4/HAQeKBDAgAczbGAcdbez28mt5NH6QLFwWbBA-w

pros: huge health pool, almost perma criticals, lots of sustain with super speed healing, full stacks of might, lots of combos to have fun with, tanky as hellcons: people can run away from you easily, damage is not stellar if you don't do perfect combos, challenging rotations.

Sure it can be improved by focusing more on power, but where is the fun in playing meta?

Do you have enough CC for kinetic stabilizers?As I did not try your build, just some numbers: thunderclap may hit every 24s, but blast gyro is hard to hit except the enemy lets himself hit deliberately. So you basically have 1 hit every 25s (cast time + recharge on thunderclap + ideally hit each time).Damage wise you can then have a Maximum of 50% stability uptime for the 10% damage boost from kinetics but this is only in ideal cases, If your enemy removes the stability it is much less. Also the superspeed gain from kinetic stabilizers (regarding Regeneration buff) is probably neglegtable, because you possibly will overwrite your 5s superspeed from shocking Speed with the 3s from kinetic stabilizers in some cases unintentionally.

Concerning your stat selection:As you use power, precision, ferocity, toughness, vitality, and healing power alltogether in your build, so 6 out of 7 stats, the celestial gear should be worth it. There were numerous calculations in the past about when celestial is better than "specialized" gear mix.

If you want to Play around and go for more power, and less healing power, you could also try out a mix of wanderer + marauder stats, or even go full wanderer. The increase in power could even out the decrease in crit Chance.

Kinetic Stabilizers I mostly take it for securing stomps. It also works nicely with thunderclap to close up distances as sticking to targets can be difficult without super speed. Also Daze from rocket charge & lightning field should proc kinetic stabilizer as if I remember correctly it does not have an internal cool-down.

@nihasa.5067 said:Kinetic Stabilizers I mostly take it for securing stomps. It also works nicely with thunderclap to close up distances as sticking to targets can be difficult without super speed. Also Daze from rocket charge & lightning field should proc kinetic stabilizer as if I remember correctly it does not have an internal cool-down.

Sounds reasonable. Yes the rocket Charge Combo Triggers it, also with the bulwark gyro, I forgot about that.

Archived