Why do HoT Ascended Weapon Collections take literally 3x the materials and currency as PoF ones? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why do HoT Ascended Weapon Collections take literally 3x the materials and currency as PoF ones?

Really, with the changes to Scrapper, I decided it was finally time to get Fir-r-Upper. Going along in the collection, finally get all the bits for the Plated Hammer, and then BAM, oh, wait, NOW I GET TO GRIND OUT almost 2x of the map currencies, AGAIN, and, and for the bonus round, rely on RNG for the last part OR a 2 hour meta map.

ANet, really, it's time to revisit these. PoF Ascended Weapon collections from Elite specs are about 3x easier. Yeah, the collections themselves would be hard to revise, but upping the drop rate from Noxious Pods and lowering the map currency costs at the vendors are easy to do.

Do not fear simplification of the game, there is elegance in simplicity that allows more time for playing and less time building.

Comments

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    For me the biggest hurdle of HoT collections were the required masteries and need for Mystic Coins. With full mastery unlocked and lots of coins in storage though, given a choice, I would much rather do HoT collections because I find there is less RNG involved, in that I don't have to get lucky and snag a caffeinated skritt, nor do I have to worry about getting certain escort/metas/bounties completed.

  • The Skrit is no problem. if you stand in Lily of the Elon there is always someone tagging a Skrit.
    Yes it is unbalanced but why are you doing it? Skin, AP oder just a ascenced weapon? You can craft one. its nearly the same cost.

    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

  • Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Want the skin and I hate crafting, honestly.

    Do not fear simplification of the game, there is elegance in simplicity that allows more time for playing and less time building.

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.

    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

  • @Kylden Ar.3724 said:

    @SkyFallsInThunder.8257 said:
    HoT was a bit more hardcore. PoF is a puffpiece to appease the casuals. One of them is still played, one is a ghost town. I wonder which is which.

    HoT is still played because Auric Basin meta still craps out liquid gold, that's it. People by and large follow rewards, not content.

    I got 5 gold on accident in Auric Basin just doing map complete for that hammer, not even directly participating. That is why people are there.

    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.

    What you call "hardcore" is Grind, and timegates. That's it.

    Stop fooling yourself.

    Then surely the cost won't matter, right? I mean, with all your superior skills, you should have that done just about as fast as the mobs respawn, and will probably be standing around waiting for that, right?

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.


    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

    Average players, yes. They are the PvP/WvW open world equivalent as far as the challenge goes. The really good players and organized teams/squads are well above raid difficulty however, at a level which AI opponents of this game can't even get close to.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭

    Hmm. I never really minded the HoT collections - they are not too hard to do. In fact I prefer them over some of the PoF ones.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    Want the skin and I hate crafting, honestly.

    Then do the collection.

    Or forfeit the skin because the collection is to tedious and use one of the easier methods to get an ascended weapon. We all had/have that choice.

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

    What map curency? 300 airship parts? You got to be kidding. That is like 1 day event in VB.

    "There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.


    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

    Average players, yes. They are the PvP/WvW open world equivalent as far as the challenge goes. The really good players and organized teams/squads are well above raid difficulty however, at a level which AI opponents of this game can't even get close to.

    They're the statisical average for a reason. There's more of them than the "above average" players out there.
    So it's no more or less challenging than any other mode of play.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Khisanth.2948 said:
    This one is actually extremely easy to answer. At the launch of PoF they were around the same as HoT and maybe even a bit more expensive than the HoT weapons. The main reason they have become so much cheaper is because of Istan farming providing a huge supply for the named Sunspear weapons required for the PoF weapon collections.

    Y'know I completely forgot about the Sunspear weapons required for the collections. I think I've only completed the Necro Torch and Thief Rifle, but yeah, both times I just bought what I needed off the TP. Obviously that's much easier and cheaper to do today.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.


    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

    Average players, yes. They are the PvP/WvW open world equivalent as far as the challenge goes. The really good players and organized teams/squads are well above raid difficulty however, at a level which AI opponents of this game can't even get close to.

    They're the statisical average for a reason. There's more of them than the "above average" players out there.
    So it's no more or less challenging than any other mode of play.

    In pve if you (and your team) are highly skilled, you have 100% chance of success (and if you are decent and prepared, it's very close to 100%). You also always know your enemy and can prepare beforehand. In pvp/wvw you never have that assurance even at the top level - and if you are just "decent and prepared" you can fully expect to lose as often as you win.

    But yeah, no more or less challenging. Suuure.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.


    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

    Average players, yes. They are the PvP/WvW open world equivalent as far as the challenge goes. The really good players and organized teams/squads are well above raid difficulty however, at a level which AI opponents of this game can't even get close to.

    They're the statisical average for a reason. There's more of them than the "above average" players out there.
    So it's no more or less challenging than any other mode of play.

    In pve if you (and your team) are highly skilled, you have 100% chance of success (and if you are decent and prepared, it's very close to 100%). You also always know your enemy and can prepare beforehand. In pvp/wvw you never have that assurance even at the top level - and if you are just "decent and prepared" you can fully expect to lose as often as you win.

    But yeah, no more or less challenging. Suuure.

    Even being fully skilled doesn't mean you have a 100% success rate in PvE. There's many factors outside of your control at any point in time that lower that percentage.

    In PvP/WvW you can fully prepare for your opponents as well at the top tier. Why ? Because it's literally no different, pretty much everyone runs meta. It's virtually no different than knowing the the bosses attacks or timings for phases. People are no more dynamic than bosses espeically in PvP.

  • ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

    its buffed, on the 1st year the HoT events rewards was lesser.

    Tannhauser Engineer(SoS) | Atlantean Sword | Khel the Undead

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @TexZero.7910 said:
    In PvP/WvW you can fully prepare for your opponents as well at the top tier. Why ? Because it's literally no different, pretty much everyone runs meta. It's virtually no different than knowing the the bosses attacks or timings for phases.

    Sure, because in pvp you know exactly how your opponents will move, the order and timing of skills they will use, the tactics they will employ. Because in every single fight in the same difficulty tier the enemies will act exactly the same.
    ...oh wait.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:
    In PvP/WvW you can fully prepare for your opponents as well at the top tier. Why ? Because it's literally no different, pretty much everyone runs meta. It's virtually no different than knowing the the bosses attacks or timings for phases.

    Sure, because in pvp you know exactly how your opponents will move, the order and timing of skills they will use, the tactics they will employ. Because in every single fight in the same difficulty tier the enemies will act exactly the same.
    ...oh wait.

    If you're talking about the best tier's of PvP yes, you do know that and yes they largely play the same unless they make huge mistakes.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    ANet, really, it's time to revisit these.

    Why should you have it easier than the rest of us?

  • I started looking at the HoT collections recently -- they all require mystic weapons (40-60g). Kind of insane if you ask me. Without the mystic weapon component, they would be alright.

  • Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    ANet, really, it's time to revisit these.

    Why should you have it easier than the rest of us?

    I haven't. In fact, I have these done for each of my other toons. Shields, Longbow, Greatsword, etc.

    But coming back to do this one reminded me I HATE IT MORE THAN CRAFTING EVEN and pointed out just how much easier each for PoF has been.

    @gateless gate.8406 said:
    I started looking at the HoT collections recently -- they all require mystic weapons (40-60g). Kind of insane if you ask me. Without the mystic weapon component, they would be alright.

    Those would not be as bad if not for the time gate only Mystic Coins.

    Do not fear simplification of the game, there is elegance in simplicity that allows more time for playing and less time building.

  • @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    Those would not be as bad if not for the time gate only Mystic Coins.

    There's no time gate on Mystic Coins, only on how many you can acquire for free.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:
    If they were looking for a challenge, these folks would be in PvP or WvW, as other players will always be more dangerous than an AI HP sponge.


    I respectfully must disagree. I've seen the average players in both PvP and WvW they are at best on par with the AI.

    Average players, yes. They are the PvP/WvW open world equivalent as far as the challenge goes. The really good players and organized teams/squads are well above raid difficulty however, at a level which AI opponents of this game can't even get close to.

    They're the statisical average for a reason. There's more of them than the "above average" players out there.
    So it's no more or less challenging than any other mode of play.

    In pve if you (and your team) are highly skilled, you have 100% chance of success (and if you are decent and prepared, it's very close to 100%). You also always know your enemy and can prepare beforehand. In pvp/wvw you never have that assurance even at the top level - and if you are just "decent and prepared" you can fully expect to lose as often as you win.

    But yeah, no more or less challenging. Suuure.

    Even being fully skilled doesn't mean you have a 100% success rate in PvE. There's many factors outside of your control at any point in time that lower that percentage.

    In PvP/WvW you can fully prepare for your opponents as well at the top tier. Why ? Because it's literally no different, pretty much everyone runs meta. It's virtually no different than knowing the the bosses attacks or timings for phases. People are no more dynamic than bosses espeically in PvP.

    Yeah, playing against human players is the same as playing against scripted AI. Totally.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @TexZero.7910 said:
    If you're talking about the best tier's of PvP yes, you do know that and yes they largely play the same unless they make huge mistakes.

    So, they play the same regardless of how you play, and don't adjust to your actions at all? Really?
    Are you really sure you were playing against skilled opponents?

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @TexZero.7910 said:
    If you're talking about the best tier's of PvP yes, you do know that and yes they largely play the same unless they make huge mistakes.

    So, they play the same regardless of how you play, and don't adjust to your actions at all? Really?
    Are you really sure you were playing against skilled opponents?

    I never said they don't adjust. I said the gameplay is largely the same.
    Everyone knows what skills each class brings that are key, when they need to bait them out and how to react to them at the highest tiers of play. This is no different than the highest tier of PvE.

    The fights without any exception play out the same, there's been almost zero changes to the macro of PvP for a good 4 years now.

  • Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

    HoT and PoF Spec collections each have their difficult and their high costing parts. HoT was definitely more difficult when it relied on doing metas and fighting special bosses.

    When PoF came out, I was actually expecting to have to unlock more of the Mystic weapons to get the collections finished. I was somewhat disappointed.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Why should you have it easier than the rest of us?

    I haven't. In fact, I have these done for each of my other toons. Shields, Longbow, Greatsword, etc.

    But coming back to do this one reminded me I HATE IT MORE THAN CRAFTING EVEN and pointed out just how much easier each for PoF has been.

    Well, I don't have the game currently running, but I think I remember that AP rewards were much higher for those than for the easy PoF ones. So it's balanced out.

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @Kylden Ar.3724 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:
    Why should you have it easier than the rest of us?

    I haven't. In fact, I have these done for each of my other toons. Shields, Longbow, Greatsword, etc.

    But coming back to do this one reminded me I HATE IT MORE THAN CRAFTING EVEN and pointed out just how much easier each for PoF has been.

    Well, I don't have the game currently running, but I think I remember that AP rewards were much higher for those than for the easy PoF ones. So it's balanced out.

    Everything in the Specialization Collections category is 3 AP each

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.