About Avatars

• ArenaNet Staff

Forum members reported a clarity issue with avatars in the English-language forum, and we had noticed it too. We've solved the mystery of what was causing that situation and we will be able to correct the issue this week. However, in order to do so, we'll need to remove all avatars so that we can upload an improved image of each. Since the forum system will not automatically replace your chosen image with a new, refreshed version of the avatar, you will need to manually add or re-add your selection onto your account profile.

But don't despair, there's good news to share! When we upload the refreshed existing avatars, we'll also be uploading a few dozen new avatars! This will allow you to choose from a broader variety of profile images, and you can swap those out whenever you like in the future.

Project Avatar Update will take place in the next couple of days, so look for an forum announcement and check out the new images!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice too hear, was I one of the people which has written about it, how unsharp the avatars are, due to their size also, hwich is why it woudl be awesoem to have some larger scaled avatars. Must not be much bigge,r but just big enough ,so that the rescaled pictures can show their textures also in a sharp enough way, that you don't get bleeding eyes from them ;)

PS: and new avatars are naturally also always welcome, even if I'd priorize to have my own Character Portrait as an unique Avatar, which expresses my PERSONALITY, which we could take from ingame by adding to the Character Selct Screen some kind of "Portait Photo Mode" with that we could make pictures from our Character's Face, put it into the right light, put a background picture for it and a frame (Vet, Champ, Legendary Frame earnable here for Badges) and upload these ingame made pictures then from the Game into the Forum, where it woudl be then linked to our Accounts.

However, if thats too much effort, or whyever technically not possible, then I'm personally also happy, if we get a nice looking Aurene/Vlast Avatar :3

• ArenaNet Staff

Thanks for the early feedback! Do you guys think I should move this to GW2 Discussion? I waffled back and forth on the placement, but popped in the announcement to lead here and yes, my thinking was that it kinda/sorta related to a bug.

Wanna bet we get a dozen "Where is my avatar!!?!!" posts when this happens, no matter where I put it? :p

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Thanks for the early feedback! Do you guys think I should move this to GW2 Discussion? I waffled back and forth on the placement, but popped in the announcement to lead here and yes, my thinking was that it kinda/sorta related to a bug.

Wanna bet we get a dozen "Where is my avatar!!?!!" posts when this happens, no matter where I put it? :p

It fits here. Also yeah I would be with you on that bet. Some people do not read. :P

I personalyl think its better at Discussion, cause unsharp avatars isn't really somethign I'd call a Bug in the game, neither the Forum, or any Website.Its just the unfortunate result that comes naturally with too small sized pictures which aren't well rescaled enough for a forum where they are used in.

A tiny issue, which is quickly solved with slightly bigger sized and better rescaled Avatars. We have stil lso much space left and right of the forum, that giving us slightly bigger Avatars surely isn't a problem, so that the pictures have more pixels, and thus will look sharper in the end and not so wishy-washy like now partwise.

Due to this is even your Character Avatar barely really visible, cause the unsharpness if the picture destroys all the details from your character to actually see them.It's all just wishy-washy textures and wouldn't you look closer at it, one wouldn't even maybe realize on first look, that this should show one of your characters.

The GW2 reddit "flair" symbols offer a good range of avatars. They are basically symbols for the races and professions, so folks can indicate what it is they favour playing. They also offer a bit of variety in that, while two people may be reapers, one may be a norn and another an asura...which can be quite a change in perspective.

In an ideal world I would love an actual image of one of our characters of course, but maybe that would come in time.

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Yay! We need an avatar with a blue arrow
cough

Blue Arrow? I apologize, but which spec/profession does that one represent?

Also: racial icons for avatars, please.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Quaggans, you say? I
maaaay
have seen a quaggan or two in the mix. =)

Quaggan avatar likes yoOOOooooUUU.

You know, for an AVATAR...

Archived