Upcoming Warclaw bug fixes/changes

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey all, just wanted to put out a quick note about some upcoming Warclaw changes.

Short-term

• We're working on a fix for the issue where people can get stuck on their mount, and still have their 3 evades and such. There may be more than one bug that causes this, but we think we're getting the most egregious one.
  • We're going to remove the jump on dismount. It's one of the biggest things used to bypass walls/gates and it was faster to remove the jump rather than try to fix each of those individually.
  • Fix to the sitting in box achievement areas so you can mount up in them.
  • Mounts will no longer be able to be stealthed. We felt mounts provide enough value without stealth and, as many have noticed, there were several visual bugs with stealth involved.

Medium to Long-term

• Working on a dismount trap
  • Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players. This may also dismount yourself. We're still debating that. Feedback welcome.

Even Longer term

• We're considering adding break-bars to the WvW Mount. It's still a big if, as this will also require UI considerations.

Edit: Added cat box achievement fix.Edit 2: Added Stealth info

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dismounting skill should absolutely dismount both players. You're obviously acknowledging the problem a non-mounted player has vs a mounted one, so creating a situation where two mounted players results in one mounted and one dismounted doesn't make things better, and it just promotes trolling.

Dismounting in this fashion should also put both players into combat so they can't just remount.

Would also encourage that the dismount skill cost supply. Would be OK if Sniff did as well btw.

Cool stuff.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

• We're going to remove the jump on dismount. It's one of the biggest things used to bypass walls/gates and it was faster to remove the jump rather than try to fix each of those individually.

For clarification: it sounds like this is for all (non-chair) mounts in PvE as well? No more dismount climbing over tricky terrain?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Chrury.4627 said:Cool stuff.

For clarification: it sounds like this is for all (non-chair) mounts in PvE as well? No more dismount climbing over tricky terrain?

No, this is just for the WvW mount. PvE mounts won't be affected.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:No, this is just for the WvW mount. PvE mounts won't be affected.

Good to hear. I am going to miss it in WvW, though, as jumping over fences or other small obstacles is a nice mechanic to have.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

• Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players. This may also dismount yourself. We're still debating that. Feedback welcome.

Both parties should be dismounted, yes. :+1:

I'm also on board with this new dismount skill also dismounting the player using it. No sense in giving someone an advantage where, especially in havoc groups, you can dismount enemy players anywhere and basically surround them for free. It should be an engagement tactic and pose a risk to the mounted player. That said.... I don't know how I'd feel about having that dismount potential available to everyone.

I'm not even sure that a dismount trap will solve the problem of mounts in WvW. Most zergs will, at some point, find the urge to dismount and attack players or objectives. The utility that a dismount trap could bring would be rendered null, because it would mainly be used near hotspots and objectives. I guess it could help havoc groups clear out the solo roamers, but that would depend on the cost of the trap (versus the reward... which is usually nil).

Perhaps an improvement, or tactic, that prevents you from mounting up in other server territories would be ideal.

The first thing you should do is remove the wvw mount until you fix all those problems. Being honest this has only brought problems to WVW, so far only generates visual contamination by the abuse of bugs / glitch. And being even more sincere does not give any use in wvw, only problems.

@Memoranda.9386 said:If jump/dismounting is being removed, can the actual jump height be improved upon some?

I feel like I get stuck on the smallest of obstacles frequently, and will find myself dismounting to run through areas with shoddy/tricky collision.

This and chain pull being useless. Frankly I'm good with the low damage, but supply cost should go away.

If it helps, just make hard CC dismount a player and skip the UI development. It isn't like there is a ton of easy to access hard CC in the game. Since hard CC wasn't an issue before mounts I cannot see why having hard CC insta dismount changes anything.

I wouldn't even bother with the trap since stealth traps are minimally useful at best and typically easy to avoid by dodging over them.

@Genuinetheo.6591 said:I'm also on board with this new dismount skill also dismounting the player using it. No sense in giving someone an advantage where, especially in havoc groups, you can dismount enemy players anywhere and basically surround them for free. It should be an engagement tactic and pose a risk to the mounted player. That said.... I don't know how I'd feel about having that dismount potential available to everyone.

I'm not even sure that a dismount trap will solve the problem of mounts in WvW. Most zergs will, at some point, find the urge to dismount and attack players or objectives. The utility that a dismount trap could bring would be rendered null, because it would mainly be used near hotspots and objectives. I guess it could help havoc groups clear out the solo roamers, but that would depend on the cost of the trap (versus the reward... which is usually nil).

Perhaps an improvement, or tactic, that prevents you from mounting up in other server territories would be ideal.

Perhaps they should add 2 different types of dismount traps..Small and large.

Small Trap costs less supply and will trigger when an enemy mounted player triggers it locking them in combat for several seconds.. good for ambush tactics and roaming.Large Trap costs more supply, has larger radious and will only trigger when 5-10 players are within it's radious at the same time and would leave a short AoE field that would dismount other players entering it for a few seconds after the trap was triggered.. would be used to counter mounted groups and zergs.

I like the idea of a break bar for the mount, but even though it's not likely, I'd like control skill effects or holds to carry over from mounted to dismounted. Different classes have different ranges for control skills and practical needs to have them on their bars or not, it would still make using a control ability useless if it even managed to kill the break bar and dismount the player but still leaving them will full dismounted capabilities.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@Memoranda.9386 said:If jump/dismounting is being removed, can the actual jump height be improved upon some?

I feel like I get stuck on the smallest of obstacles frequently, and will find myself dismounting to run through areas with shoddy/tricky collision.

This and chain pull being useless. Frankly I'm good with the low damage, but supply cost should go away.

you realize the supply cost is their so that rams don't just get deleted right?

Seriously why not just make it ccable, it has enough evades and hp as it is. I don't see why skills which are already low on range and evadeable like Bola strike shouldn't work on it. Adding a dismount trap is not a good idea and I can already see it being almost never used just as all of the other traps. Just make it so players won't be able to use cc skills immediately after dismounting and everything is good.

@martin.3692 said:Seriously why not just make it ccable, it has enough evades and hp as it is. I don't see why skills which are already low on range and evadeable like Bola strike shouldn't work on it. Adding a dismount trap is not a good idea and I can already see it being almost never used just as all of the other traps. Just make it so players won't be able to use cc skills immediately after dismounting and everything is good.

@Straegen.2938 said:If it helps, just make hard CC dismount a player and skip the UI development. It isn't like there is a ton of easy to access hard CC in the game. Since hard CC wasn't an issue before mounts I cannot see why having hard CC insta dismount changes anything.

I wouldn't even bother with the trap since stealth traps are minimally useful at best and typically easy to avoid by dodging over them.

I would wonder if the CC issue is that no other mount is succeptable to CCs. It sounds more like a mount programming issue than strictly a Warclaw issue

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Dismounting skill should absolutely dismount both players. You're obviously acknowledging the problem a non-mounted player has vs a mounted one, so creating a situation where two mounted players results in one mounted and one dismounted doesn't make things better, and it just promotes trolling.

Dismounting in this fashion should also put both players into combat so they can't just remount.

I agree with this 100%. There should be no debate about it. If you don't dismount both players, you're not fixing the problem, you're just creating a new one.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Hey all, just wanted to put out a quick note about some upcoming Warclaw changes.

Short-term

• We're working on a fix for the issue where people can get stuck on their mount, and still have their 3 evades and such. There may be more than one bug that causes this, but we think we're getting the most egregious one.

Medium to Long-term

• Working on a dismount trap

Even Longer term

• We're considering adding break-bars to the WvW Mount. It's still a big if, as this will also require UI considerations.

Are you considering adjustments to the mount speed? Being faster than maximum running speed brings the problem of peeps without mounts not being able to catch up. This may be intended in some situations but not in others (if the classical roaming class can catch up with their mobility skills, that might be working out. it might be a more severe problem for zergs zergs though - but i'm rarely zerging).

Edit: I'm really grateful you're letting us know you're planning some adjustments. Greatly appreciated, independent of what you decide for in the end!