High MS since Amazon server swap

Ever since ANet swapped servers to Amazon I have 150 ping on avg.That used to be around 60. Pvping with skill delay is atrocious. I thought if I waited long enough these issues would fix themselves but apparently not.Is there any server I can connect to more on the western side of US or do you just plop every server in the same location and screw over the ones who have bad ping?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:There are two server locations, just as before the switch. One in Virginia (previously Texas), and one in Frankfurt (previously Frankfurt).The locations chosen to serve the largest percentage of the player population.

Top kek.. so ANet can't afford more server locations ? In WoW I can choose from so many.. I chose server in Cali right next to me in Oregon and I get 40 ms.So how do I reduce ping then? Competitive pvp simply isn't possible when I have delays on skill casting.

@Mathias.9657 said:Top kek.. so ANet can't afford more server locations ?

ArenaNet is renting from Amazon, so they could theoretically go wherever Amazon is with a minimal cost increase, and they've already shown that this is possible when they had NA split between Texas and Northern Virginia. The longer the distance however, the more risky it is.

Ever since ANet swapped servers to Amazon I have 150 ping on avg.I chose server in Cali right next to me in Oregon and I get 40 ms.

Your ping in both cases is roughly double of what you should be getting. You should get less than 80 ms if you:ping dynamodb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com

So how do I reduce ping then?

The only way to reduce your ping without moving is to try to get onto a better network. First you'd want to confirm it's not a problem with your own network; wireless for example can add up to 10 ms. Then you'd want to trace the IP / use PingPlotter to see where any jumps in latency are. The only way to get onto a better network is to switch ISPs or use a VPN in an attempt to reroute your connection around wherever the problem is.

Archived