[suggestion] WvW rank tier titling adjustment

The PvP title rework reminded me of an old suggestion of mine about improving WvW titles to make it more intuitive and informative, along the lines of the PvP and Fractal reworks to the number next to the player name,

Right now, we have only 7*15 WvW rank titles. 7 Prefixes and 15 sufixes.I would recommend tweaking them and their values without altering the rate of rewards every 5KWXP, so tiers always match titles, and so those who are well over 10K can still keep earning ranks for a long time, while still being able to show off their exact rank without it being cut by the UI.

The number of tier prefixes could be increased for 7 to 10, something like this:

1. no prefix.
  2. +Copper
  3. Bronze
  4. Silver
  5. +Iron
  6. Gold
  7. +Steel
  8. Platinum
  9. Mithirl
  10. Diamond

And the suffixes to 20 titles (there's currently 15):

1. Invader
  2. Assaulter
  3. Raider
  4. Recruit
  5. Scout
  6. Soldier
  7. Squire
  8. Footman
  9. Knight
  10. +Lieutenant
  11. +Captain
  12. Major
  13. +Colonel
  14. +Brigadier
  15. General
  16. Veteran
  17. +Elite
  18. Champion
  19. Legend
  20. +Hero, or Epic Hero, Epic Legend, Epic Boss, etc.

That'd be 200 titles, and tier 200 would correspond to the amount pf WXP currently required to get 9,945 Diamond Legend. But this would not affed WXP rewards, as players would still get the first 4 WXP rewards with 1000WXP, and every 5000WXP after that.Optionally, the new suffixes could be added after legend "(eg.: demigod, god, ascendant, warmarshal, etc), and allow people to earn even higher titles over the current max, so higher tier players they can show off their devotion to the mode even more.

So you'd still get WvW ability points and rewards every 5K WXP just as always, but your rank number would actually match your next title, so anyone who sees a level 100 in WXP would know the exact title of that player. Player who are well over Diamond Legend (over 10K) now, would still keep earning ranks up to 999, and even after 999 they would still earn the rewards every 5K just as usual.And it'd be easier to read and remember at which tiers you get more pips from skirmishes as the numbers would be reduced from 3-4 cyphers to 2-3 round numbers.

Then, the sections WXP bar at the bottom would show you when you are going to earn the next 5KWXP instead being an arbitrary division.

I have already explained why in the post several times at the start and across the post:

• To make rank numbers match titles.
  • To make it more intuitive and user-friendly as numbers would always match ranks.
  • To allow showing higher numbers better as it'll go up to 999, while the current goes up to 10, then it show Ks , without distinction between ranks like 10001 and 10002.
  • To make WvW rank numbers work better with the UI, so numbers are not cut in different squad and party views based on UI and screen size.
  • To make them more consistent with other similar numbers, keeping it under 3 digits as seen in: Level, Masteries, PvP rank and Fractal agony.
  • To make it easier to see when you are getting the next tier of pip rewards from ranks. Humans can understand and remember better smaller numbers.
  • Optionally, it could allow higher ranks by reworking the tiers so new max of 200 is over the current max for titles is under the new max instead.
  • Stirring things up and novelty is always a bonus.
  • All of that without affecting the rate at which rewards are earned, which would remain 1K for the first 4 levels, and 5K for the rest.

I grant that this would be a better system to have put in place when the game launched. I don't see sufficient justification to implement it 6.5 years later.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:I have already explained why in the post several times at the start and across the post:

• To make it more intuitive and user-friendly as numbers would always match ranks.
  • To allow showing higher numbers better as it'll go up to 999, while the current goes up to 10, then it show Ks , without distinction between ranks like 10001 and 10002.
  • To make WvW rank numbers work better with the UI, so numbers are not cut in different squad and party views based on UI and screen size.
  • To make them more consistent with other similar numbers, keeping it under 3 digits as seen in: Level, Masteries, PvP rank and Fractal agony.
  • To make it easier to see when you are getting the next tier of pip rewards from ranks. Humans can understand and remember better smaller numbers.
  • Optionally, it could allow higher ranks by reworking the tiers so new max of 200 is over the current max for titles is under the new max instead.
  • All of that without affecting the rate at which rewards are earned, which would remain 1K for the first 4 levels, and 5K for the rest.

Nearly all of the above can be condensed into:

• Consistency for consistency's sake.
  • Round numbers for those who prefer round numbers.
  • Change for the sake of change.

Those are extremely limited benefits and it wouldn't be free to change: someone would have to make those lists, ensure that the numbers make sense, double check that people actually find the new system easier, and that nothing important breaks when implementing. Additionally, veterans would have to learn the new system, even it would be easier to learn than the current one ever was.

Wouldn't it be better to use the limited resources applied to WvW to work on any of a number of other issues nagging the game mode?

tl;dr I get why the OP likes the idea (and even why I like it). What isn't clear is: why is this worth ANet's time to design, code, and implement?

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:I have already explained why in the post several times at the start and across the post:

Which honestly are cosmetic.

That was the point of my ‘why’ question. You explained ‘what’ very well.

I am not sold on ‘why’ time should be spent on implementation.

That's not for us to decide.

As players we can only give our feedback, developers are the ones with the information that allows to decide whether things can go on the table or not, and when they work on them, if they ever decide to work on them.

And remember that ArenaNet is not one person or a monolithic entity in which everyone can perform the very same tasks.
If there's more pressing matters, it'd be great if were to be taken care of first, if there's time and resources for it. But that's no excuse not to do something else when there's different spare time and resources that may otherwise go unused.

For us players "do they have time for this?" is not a factor we can ever know, so we can only focus on "would this improve my game experience in any way?

For me consistency between equivalent game mechanics, a cleaner UI that allows making decisions faster and intuitiveness that allows new players to get things faster will always improve game experience.

Archived