Please make PoF HPs elites instead of veterans?

OriOri.8724

I know that a lot of people complained about the champion mobs in HoT HPs, and I think its great that you guys listened to them and didn't do the same thing in PoF. But please make these mobs elites? Its quite boring to going back to plain old veteran mobs. Elites are at the perfect level for a PvE mob imo. More challenging than a veteran mob without being punishing, but still easy enough that any player can come along and solo it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@OriOri.8724 said:I know that a lot of people complained about the champion mobs in HoT HPs, and I think its great that you guys listened to them and didn't do the same thing in PoF. But please make these mobs elites? Its quite boring to going back to plain old veteran mobs. Elites are at the perfect level for a PvE mob imo. More challenging than a veteran mob without being punishing, but still easy enough that any player can come along and solo it.

Well it is a good thing you don't speak for everyone...

NO

Becos, mob aggro and respawn;

Today i wanted to do an HP near Amnoon City.When i got there i noticed two Sand Lions nearby.I was prolly gonna aggro those, so i killed them before activating the HPHowever, after the two Sand Lions, a Veteran Hydra approached.Ok, prolly gonna aggro that to, so i killed the Vet Hydra also.Then the two Sand Lions had respawned and were to close again.So, i killed them again.THEN i activated the HP. A Veteran somthing to kill.While i was fighting that Veteran, the Veteran Hydra showed up again.So i still ended up fighting two Veterans at the same time.But it gets better, the two Sand Lions also showed up again.

Some other players showed up luckliy.Then i noticed a Veteran Sand Shark joined the fight.

So, i only wanted to fight the HP Veteran.What did i end up fighting also;3x two Sand Lions2x Veteran Hydra1x Veteran Sand Shark

Basically to sum up the entire forum/community: We are all different and want different things.

Best solution is likely a compromise, with a variety of HP challenges with different level mobs. Few enough champions that you can organize a train for them if needed, and enough champions/elites around to satisfy the ones that want to try something more challenging. It also adds the advantage that people going in blind get to find out the hard way what "this HP challenge" will be like, surprises can be fun.

But honestly ALL HP-challenges into Veterans would bore me (and likely some others) to tears. While obviously all Champions/Elites would make them very difficult for other players. Instead of arguing for ALL or NOTHING, what compromises could work ?

Elites are not hard to you. I avoid elites at all costs because I do not want to deal with that mess. There's a wider variety to the playerbase than you, and with thar variety comes the ability to deal with different tiers of mobs in a solo manner. HPs should ALWAYS be soloable, and currently the vast majority of the ones in HoT are not. Elites would be too challenging to many.

@OriOri.8724 said:Elites are not hard enemies, and are still miles easier than champions are. Adds are not hard to deal with, if you see a veteran add in the area, clear it before you start the HP.

Respawn rates mean that even if you do clear vets in the area, they're usually back before you finish the HP. There are some points, like the one above, where no matter how diligent you are, chances are you're going to get at least one additional vet added to the mix, and an entire events' worth of mobs if you're really unlucky.

If you want a challenge, bounties exist. Find the emptiest map you can and go crazy solo'ing those. Difficult HP mobs are never going to be something the majority of GW2's playerbase will find acceptable because it gates two relatively casual endeavors- map completion and character build progression.

I very much disagree with this, they're not just supposed to be soloable, they are supposed to be soloable on any level appropriate build, so that you can do them without an elite spec, as many players will be doing them who don't own HoT or weren't interested in unlocking certain HoT elite specs.

Of course that wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't powercreeped the everliving kitten out of elite specs in the first place, but that's a discussion for another thread.

@castlemanic.3198 said:Elites are not hard to you. I avoid elites at all costs because I do not want to deal with that mess.

It's just a tag. There are elites that are actually normal enemies, they were just tagged "elite" to show that they were the boss or whatever. Likewise, there's champions that are only champions so they can't be CC'd. In this case, although they likely want the HPs to have 1.5x more health and damage, ArenaNet would simply make them elites in name only to scare you. They're basically already elites, just tagged veterans.

@castlemanic.3198 said:Elites are not hard to you. I avoid elites at all costs because I do not want to deal with that mess. There's a wider variety to the playerbase than you, and with thar variety comes the ability to deal with different tiers of mobs in a solo manner. HPs should ALWAYS be soloable, and currently the vast majority of the ones in HoT are not. Elites would be too challenging to many.

Show me where Anet promised that all HPs will always be soloable then. And elites are perfectly soloable. If you die, then you just look back at what you could have done better, and make changes to how you play the game. Its how I play. I go in, I die in content. And over time I've become a significantly better player because I am willing to look at what I did wrong and change how I play. If I wasn't willing to do this, I'd still be in the boat where I thought veterans were difficult, and soloing them was a huge accomplishment.

Instead of crying until Anet hands you braindead content, you should try to adjust how you play the game and get better at it. I'm not asking for these HPs to become impossible to solo. I'm asking for them to not be so braindead. As someone who enjoys map completion, its honestly painful that these "challenges" are just a regular veteran mob. The ones I've done don't even have adds in the HP itself like some core Tyria HPs do. Elites will not make these challenges impossible to solo. And you will not need a HP train to take them down. Even if you do struggle, its not hard to find another player in GW2 to help you out, that's just a fact of playing this game. And 2 people are more than a match for any elite mob in this game, no matter how new they are.

@Conncept.7638 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:Show me where Anet promised that all HPs will always be soloable then.

ANet never promised that and he never stated they did so, HoT just proved it's incredibly stupid to do otherwise.

And elites are nowhere near the same level as a champion mob. They are an order of magnitude easier to deal with. You'll note, I didn't ask for a single HP to be changed into a champion mob, but you guys are crying as if that's what I asked for.

@OriOri.8724 said:Show me where Anet promised that all HPs will always be soloable then. And elites are perfectly soloable. If you die, then you just look back at what you could have done better, and make changes to how you play the game. Its how I play. I go in, I die in content. And over time I've become a significantly better player because I am willing to look at what I did wrong and change how I play. If I wasn't willing to do this, I'd still be in the boat where I thought veterans were difficult, and soloing them was a huge accomplishment.

Instead of crying until Anet hands you braindead content, you should try to adjust how you play the game and get better at it. I'm not asking for these HPs to become impossible to solo. I'm asking for them to not be so braindead. As someone who enjoys map completion, its honestly painful that these "challenges" are just a regular veteran mob. The ones I've done don't even have adds in the HP itself like some core Tyria HPs do. Elites will not make these challenges impossible to solo. And you will not need a HP train to take them down. Even if you do struggle, its not hard to find another player in GW2 to help you out, that's just a fact of playing this game. And 2 people are more than a match for any elite mob in this game, no matter how new they are.

Where did I EVER say that Arenanet promised that all HPs "will always be soloable". Please tell me, since you seem to be so concerned about what i "said" arenanet promised.

Elites are not perfectly soloable to all players, veterans or new players, because builds vary, from gear, to skills to traits, having an imperfect build can and does make playing harder than normal, even for a veteran. Arenanet shouldn't demand that all players, new and old, have a full set of ascended with meta builds to progress their character in open world content. Surely you see how that would drive away new players who are trying to enjoy the game and amy not have a full grasp of it, especially if they are introduced by a friend and were boosted to level 80 to get into PoF. It would also drive away previous veterans who may return after a long period of time, trying to get the elite spec and failing to do so because they were not prepared for the difficulty of HP points compared to their previous experience, especially with many of the balance changes that have been happening recently. We adapted fine. We can take on the challenge of more difficult HP's, even if we need friends or other players help to do so. Some don't. So don't go around degrading people who aren't as good at the game as you are, calling their style of gameplay "braindead", because to many, it's not braindead, it's challenging because they don't play the game like you do, and yes I'm talking veteran HPs, i'm not even talking about having them become elite like you intend them to be.

So appreciate that people live life and play games differently to you. This game doesn't cater solely to you, and if you crave challenge, challenges are abound. But leave crucial character progression out of your will for challenges, because to many, elite npcs would be impossible to solo, and you said it yourself, you don't want HPs to be impossible to solo.

You also do realise that there could be a thousand reasons why someone isn't as good at the game as you are and "not playing enough" is only one of those reasons? Such as disabilities? Life commitments? Lack of reliable internet? Change in lifestyle? Computer rig? Internet ping? relating to computers and internet, some of those are completely dependent on the country that person lives in, not everyone is privileged enough to have the best gaming rig, the fastest internet and be completely unhindered by their body, mind or genetics.

Archived