Open World PVP Servers

bbop.9706

Is this a terrible idea?

Could it work?

Non pvp-ers could be flagged off as in other games but imagine the fun!

Oportunities for GvG, competing for meta events etc etc.

New titles, new achievements rewards.. new life into old zones.. mounted combat with abilities unlocked through new masteries..

I would love it.. i would pay for it.. bring all game modes together!

It would bring in a ream of new players as well..

Am I mad or would this be a good direction?

I wouldn't be against it, as long as it used entirely separate versions of the maps so people who want open-world PvP are never in the same map as people who don't. But I also wouldn't ever use it.

Based on my experience in other games those maps would be very under populated however. I assume no one will be expecting to complete meta events or even large scale single events anyway, since it would be almost impossible to attack enemies without hitting your "allies" too, but in other games I've played which had this option even finding other people outside of a few hotspots (usually determined by the easiest places to ambush people) could be difficult. If you want actual large-scale PvP we've got WVW, if you want small scale structured fights there's sPvP. We've also got a free-for-all arena in the Heart of the Mists, guild arenas and the 3-way arena in Armistice Bastion (although that has the major disadvantage of a pay-gate) for less structured small scale fights. I'm not sure what's left for open-world PvP other than ganking...which has the major disadvantage that anyone who doesn't want to engage in PvP (aka the ideal targets) wouldn't be on those maps.

Of course it's different in games where there is no way to opt out of open-world PvP, but I can't imagine GW2 ever going down that route because it would require a redesign of basically the entire game.

It's never going to happen, so I don't know why people post stuff like this. It's not going to increase the number of players in the game and it always leads to issues for people who don't want to PvP. Splitting the population in a game where people need other people to do group events won't work anyway. If you want to kill other players, that's what WvW is for. It's four maps with open world PvP in them.

@Vayne.8563 said:It's never going to happen, so I don't know why people post stuff like this. It's not going to increase the number of players in the game and it always leads to issues for people who don't want to PvP. Splitting the population in a game where people need other people to do group events won't work anyway. If you want to kill other players, that's what WvW is for. It's four maps with open world PvP in them.

Yup

Archived