"Message suppressed" when changing LFG description

Hi Anet,Wanted to make you aware that the "message suppression" feature (the one that prevents players from spamming map chat too often) also affects LFG group descriptions.

To explain: When I change my group description too frequently, I am eventually locked out of changing it. I'm a new raider and encountered this bug/feature when doing W4 Deimos this week. Since that fight requires 3 unique roles (tank, oil kiter, hand kiter) in addition to your usual druid + chrono composition, I had to frequently change the description as players came and went, and quickly found myself no longer able to do so.

Thank you for your time and attention.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Along with the LFG tool, the chat panel has a filter called "Looking for Group". Any changes made to the party or squad status through lfg will be output to the chat panel if this is check-marked.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Looking_For_Group

Seems like a really bad idea. Regardless, I have that option checked in my chat panel and the only messages I see regarding the LFG tool pertain to my own groups. Is this feature meant to stop me from spamming myself?

@gateless gate.8406 said:How is LFG being posted in map chat?

Like this:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Along with the LFG tool, the chat panel has a filter called "Looking for Group". Any changes made to the party or squad status through lfg will be output to the chat panel if this is check-marked.

You wrote:

@gateless gate.8406 said:Seems like a really bad idea.

It is not, actually, because that way people on the map are being notified of ongoing group activities on their current map.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:It is not, actually, because that way people on the map are being notified of ongoing group activities on their current map.

Feel free to respond to the full quote: "Regardless, I have that option checked in my chat panel and the only messages I see regarding the LFG tool pertain to my own groups. Is this feature meant to stop me from spamming myself?"

It sounds like a bug or a small oversight here. I know its rough to do raids and fractols and some days you get players leaving constintly. I think the wait is like 10min for the reshouting of lfg. I have noticed sometimes though when useing lfg it will not show in map chat or anywere no mater what i do.

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Feel free to respond to the full quote: "Regardless, I have that option checked in my chat panel and the only messages I see regarding the LFG tool pertain to my own groups. Is this feature meant to stop me from spamming myself?"

Whether you deactivate its visibility or not does not influence the fact that it's shown. You just won't see it.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:Feel free to respond to the full quote: "Regardless, I have that option checked in my chat panel and the only messages I see regarding the LFG tool pertain to my own groups. Is this feature meant to stop me from spamming myself?"

Whether you deactivate its visibility or not does not influence the fact that it's shown. You just won't see it.

"I have that option checked" = I have those messages ENABLED. Try again.

To be clear, we are (presumably) referring to chat messages such as this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:LFG_Chat.jpg

Those messages do not get posted in map chat. They are only visible to the people inside the group.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:A new LFG chat filter has been added so that all messages from this new system can be filtered out.I'd guess it's not just for party members.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-09-17#Looking_For_Group_Tool_Beta

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the responses in this thread.

1. That quote does not state that LFG messages appear chat wide, only that they can be filtered out (by, presumably, party members).
  2. Luckily, we don't need to pull up patch notes from 2013, because the LFG tool is now in the game and we can actually test how it works and how it interacts with the chat window. Unless I'm missing something, changing LFG group descriptions only generates chat messages for the players in said group. It does not generate anything in map chat.

@gateless gate.8406 said:I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the responses in this thread.

Ditto to your responses.

Unless I'm missing something, changing LFG group descriptions only generates chat messages for the players in said group. It does not generate anything in map chat.

That might be so, but it still generates a chat message, regardless of who can read it.

So, I'd never ticked the LFG box in the chat panel, and I tried it out.Not in party, squad, or anything else; in fact, I am invisible.Here's what I saw in chat:

...has begun looking for group....has listed the party under LFG for Desert Highlands.has changed the party's description to "ALL bounties all maps! Crystal oasis -> Vabbi."

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"gateless gate.8406" said:I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the responses in this thread.

Ditto to your responses.

Oh please. Let's take a look:

"Since LFG is also being posted in map chat" -- your first response; potentially false information, and misreading of the OP (I was in a raid instance; map chat is irrelevant).

"It is not, actually, because that way people on the map are being notified of ongoing group activities on their current map." -- your second response; additional corporate apologism and potentially false information.

"Whether you deactivate its visibility or not does not influence the fact that it's shown. You just won't see it." -- Your third response; a misreading/misunderstanding of what was said.

As you can see, these responses are very... special. Now, why don't you explain your accusation?

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:So, I'd never ticked the LFG box in the chat panel, and I tried it out.Not in party, squad, or anything else; in fact, I am invisible.Here's what I saw in chat:

...has begun looking for group....has listed the party under LFG for Desert Highlands.has changed the party's description to "ALL bounties all maps! Crystal oasis -> Vabbi."

Hm, interesting! I'm guessing you were in Crystal Oasis, correct? Were you standing close to this person?

@gateless gate.8406 said:Oh please. Let's take a look:[...]

Let's not.

@gateless gate.8406 said:Hm, interesting! I'm guessing you were in Crystal Oasis, correct? Were you standing close to this person?

This is the usual chat three-liner that displays when you change the description for your LFG entry. I admit I might have made a mistake regarding who gets to see it (and I apologize for it), but my point - which I repeatedly tried to get through to you - stands that LFG text description changes generate chat text, regardless of who can read it, which is why the message suppression you encountered is not a bug.

Anyway, I am out of here. Good luck.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@gateless gate.8406 said:Oh please. Let's take a look:[...]

Let's not.

I'm sure you would have been able to explain why you felt you were taking crazy pills. Definitely. You're certainly not avoiding it because you've got nothing. No, you wouldn't do that.

@gateless gate.8406 said:Hm, interesting! I'm guessing you were in Crystal Oasis, correct? Were you standing close to this person?

LFG text description changes generate chat text, regardless of who can read it, which is why the message suppression you encountered is not a bug.

If you still insist on claiming that this isn't a bug or an overlooked misapplication of the suppression feature, then just answer the question that was posted above: Why is the suppression system protecting me from myself?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:No, I wasn't in Crystal Oasis. Not near anyone, at all.Doesn't really matter; unlikely a bug. It's something that's generated in chat, so I'd assume that's why chat suppression applies.Either way, the QA Team will have seen the post; and either log it, or chalk it up to misunderstandings.

Good luck.

Hm, so you're receiving LFG messages from other groups while not even being on the same map? That sounds somewhat strange to me; I can't say I've encountered that use case, and I've had LFG messages enabled for my entire play time. Seems like my chat would be getting spammed at all times, in all maps, if this was how the feature worked? I'm not sure.

Archived