Elementalist ? sword........? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Elementalist ? sword........?

Hey i came back after few years not playing the game...
I wanted to play elementalist .. cast some big spells etc...
but everyone tell me that i must play with a sword... melee wizard yay..... sound really awful and not fun if i wanted a melee class i would play warrior or thief
gameplay feel out of place...

so i don't like sword or melee combat ... it's really not possible to play other ways ?.... disappointing...
i don't wanna be ultra potato and get salt from randoms or kicked from fractals & raids in future with class i invested so much on over years....

Comments

  • LaGranse.8652LaGranse.8652 Member ✭✭✭

    Just cause others say you must use a sword does not mean you have to. Want to play ranged then grab yourself a staff/scepter and those other people can go play with sword.

  • CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭

    Mages often take up swords in fantasy. But I digress.

    You don't have to play with a sword. Every other weapon set (arguably even dagger) is ranged. You can play with a scepter or staff if that's your thing. Both of them are viable even in the newest elite spec. These weapons have also received new skills. I don't know who these everyone types are but they're leading you wrong.

    For fractals you might try Tempest which is the last expansions (HoT) elite spec. They can do good damage and support a small party very effectively with their overloads and shouts. Scepter/Warhorn might be your thing.

  • Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019

    There are 2 DPS builds for ele now that should ensure you a place as DPS as long as the boss is for power based builds unless you meet ultra elitists.

    Sword Weaver: you don't want

    Sc/wh FA Tempest: your range is the Air Overload's max radius so it isn't much (but it's honest work), but you can call it somehow ranged.

    Staff is trash tier in raids, and for fractals, I see discretize still placing it below meta 4/5, but it wasn't updated to last patch yet, though not much should change but yeah, the other 2 alternatives are more DPS. So I would say fractals would be the best bet to play staff, but tbh I rarely see it.

    However, whether you're melee or ranged, in fractals and raids, players need to stack and stay compact for the boons and heals which is within melee range, so unless you're dealing with mobs, during boss fight, stacking is mostly better.

    If your post is also meant for Open World as well, do whatever you like.

    I swear I know of another world below. It shows just in the rain. It's here I know. It's inaccessible. The reverse of us.

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Gandalf has a sword. He has a staff as well but any time he fights something serious, like a Balrog, the sword comes out.

  • Zirken.5184Zirken.5184 Member
    edited March 25, 2019

    @Auburner.6945 said:
    There are 2 DPS builds for ele now that should ensure you a place as DPS as long as the boss is for power based builds unless you meet ultra elitists.

    Sword Weaver: you don't want

    Sc/wh FA Tempest: your range is the Air Overload's max radius so it isn't much (but it's honest work), but you can call it somehow ranged.

    Staff is trash tier in raids, and for fractals, I see discretize still placing it below meta 4/5, but it wasn't updated to last patch yet, though not much should change but yeah, the other 2 alternatives are more DPS. So I would say fractals would be the best bet to play staff, but tbh I rarely see it.

    However, whether you're melee or ranged, in fractals and raids, players need to stack and stay compact for the boons and heals which is within melee range, so unless you're dealing with mobs, during boss fight, stacking is mostly better.

    If your post is also meant for Open World as well, do whatever you like.

    Thanks everyone for the replies.

    I was planning on playing with staff, but scepter/wh seem also nice as long as it's good enough. so, that's my plan for now.
    I don't care about open world. you are right, there i can do whatever and get away with it.
    About the stack for buffs it's bit disappointing to hear because it's easier to read the flow of the fight with little bit of ranged.. but it's mostly about just me dislike using swords, so that's fine.
    Is staff really that bad ? weaver staff seem to have some nice offensive options.. and i see that sword weaver & tempest are at the top compare to other classes..
    So how staff is comparing to the other classes ? equal, better or worse ? I don't mind how hard it is to play because at the end you play what you like better..

    @Yannir.4132 said:
    Gandalf has a sword. He has a staff as well but any time he fights something serious, like a Balrog, the sword comes out.

    Well then, give me the staff for utility and let me swap to sword when things get closer like almost any other class, acceptable.. but being stuck into melee combat for good, is kind of a problem. I miss the core ;/

  • Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭

    @Zirken.5184 said:

    @Auburner.6945 said:
    There are 2 DPS builds for ele now that should ensure you a place as DPS as long as the boss is for power based builds unless you meet ultra elitists.

    Sword Weaver: you don't want

    Sc/wh FA Tempest: your range is the Air Overload's max radius so it isn't much (but it's honest work), but you can call it somehow ranged.

    Staff is trash tier in raids, and for fractals, I see discretize still placing it below meta 4/5, but it wasn't updated to last patch yet, though not much should change but yeah, the other 2 alternatives are more DPS. So I would say fractals would be the best bet to play staff, but tbh I rarely see it.

    However, whether you're melee or ranged, in fractals and raids, players need to stack and stay compact for the boons and heals which is within melee range, so unless you're dealing with mobs, during boss fight, stacking is mostly better.

    If your post is also meant for Open World as well, do whatever you like.

    Thanks everyone for the replies.

    I was planning on playing with staff, but scepter/wh seem also nice as long as it's good enough. so, that's my plan for now.
    I don't care about open world. you are right, there i can do whatever and get away with it.
    About the stack for buffs it's bit disappointing to hear because it's easier to read the flow of the fight with little bit of ranged.. but it's mostly about just me dislike using swords, so that's fine.
    Is staff really that bad ? weaver staff seem to have some nice offensive options.. and i see that sword weaver & tempest are at the top compare to other classes..
    So how staff is comparing to the other classes ? equal, better or worse ? I don't mind how hard it is to play because at the end you play what you like better..

    @Yannir.4132 said:
    Gandalf has a sword. He has a staff as well but any time he fights something serious, like a Balrog, the sword comes out.

    Well then, give me the staff for utility and let me swap to sword when things get closer like almost any other class, acceptable.. but being stuck into melee combat for good, is kind of a problem. I miss the core ;/

    Well, staff in PvE used to hit over 45k on golem, then Meteor Shower got hardly nerfed, and the nerf to MS was then extended to other similar abilities as Lightning Storm and Lightning Hammer #4, then Lava Font got nerfed because of WvW (further extended the nerf to PvE/PvP). Elementalist's lines kept getting nerfed since then right until boons nerf was the last staff could've been usable. Staff relied on Arcane line because of the Major Grandmaster trait that gives 2% more damage per boon, since boon gain got nerfed from 10/11 boons to ~6-7, the damage got hit really hard since we all know modifiers in GW2 matter a lot, the damage dropped from 34.5k to most likely 31k, which was the range of Reaper. Then the nerf to banners affected all classes, with weaver being one of those who got hit really hard by it (we're #7 now in terms of benchmark even on sword, still with no utility or squad support), so I would expect the damage to not even pass 28-29k, which would be the lowest DPS of all. Now that wouldn't be that bad, but it is worse as the class barely brings in any utility, meaning, a power Reaper, the last DPS most likely thought of as DPS (higher than staff weaver) would be preferred over Staff Weaver. Also, since staff is slow even in its burst, prior the boons nerf, its burst was still lower than that of Holo, but the consistency was higher, now it isn't even either. For the rotation, it was one of the hardest rotations that existed then because of all the clunkiness and conjure racing while understanding what is being done and memorizing openers and loops.

    I would love to play staff too, but I don't think we're getting any love for a while passed and a while to come. So your best bet for staff is still fractals but as I said, I rarely see it or you can go for Tempest some range.

    I swear I know of another world below. It shows just in the rain. It's here I know. It's inaccessible. The reverse of us.

  • ROMANG.1903ROMANG.1903 Member ✭✭✭

    @Zirken.5184 said:
    Hey i came back after few years not playing the game...
    I wanted to play elementalist .. cast some big spells etc...
    but everyone tell me that i must play with a sword... melee wizard yay..... sound really awful and not fun if i wanted a melee class i would play warrior or thief
    gameplay feel out of place...

    so i don't like sword or melee combat ... it's really not possible to play other ways ?.... disappointing...
    i don't wanna be ultra potato and get salt from randoms or kicked from fractals & raids in future with class i invested so much on over years....

    PvE DPS weaver main here. I love playing sword, but it's clearly not the only way to play the class. The meta was actually staff weaver/tempest for a long time. You should fin dyour happiness somewhere. :)

  • Try Everything in every combination and find what suits you and your playstyle (this is in general not just for this class ~ whats "meta" isnt whats best for everyone)

  • @AzureTerra.1642 said:
    Try Everything in every combination and find what suits you and your playstyle (this is in general not just for this class ~ whats "meta" isnt whats best for everyone)

    Well, not being "meta" just mean you'll be hitting like wet potato in PoF/HoT maps, where mobs are generally more dangerous, turning each your fight with a regular mobs into epic battle. May be nice if you like challenge, but most likely doing this all the time will wear you. Most likely you can also forget about raiding, and even high-tier fractals are hardly an option if you are not meta. Even in dungeions you may find people who will not be happy about your dps and will kick you.

  • the oh so terrible wrath of the pug. What not 'meta" doesn't have to be non functional ~ ive found that Power Sword/Axe is working good for my Revenant, sword OH i don't like but the axe has some nice abilities that are not especially tied to being condi.

  • steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AzureTerra.1642 said:
    the oh so terrible wrath of the pug. What not 'meta" doesn't have to be non functional ~ ive found that Power Sword/Axe is working good for my Revenant, sword OH i don't like but the axe has some nice abilities that are not especially tied to being condi.

    Swapping off one weapon doesnt make it non meta, especially if difference is insignificant.

  • Vrita.7846Vrita.7846 Member ✭✭✭

    You're gonna be in melee anyway when you're using a staff, so what difference does it make? If you're gonna be at 1200 range with a staff in raids/fractals, I can tell you right now those modes will not be for you. Fresh air sword is also a lot of fun and is very fluid, maybe you should try giving it a shot, you might actually like it, it really makes you feel like you're weaving the elements.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.