Why Remove Birds and Slippery Slope?

Quetz.1638

I mean they actually changed how you needed to play the fractal and your choice of fractal inside the tier actually mattered. We managed to clear every daily fractal, so it is not the case that some fractals were "unplayable" and most of the people i palyed fractals with quite enjoyed them as they created interesting and funny moments.I really can not understand this decision but i guess i will have to live with the fractals becoming less fun because endgame content was too hard for some.I hope arenanet can bring them back in maybe an altered form and maybe next patch everything will be fine again, but then again, why remove them first?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean...molten boss fractal when you kill berserker first, then firestorm phases, and causes a tornado on the edges that "suck you off the border"

that specific phase, IS exactly what slippery slope is. you get moved to a position you don't want to (sucked to the edge) so you counter it my moving to the oppsite direction (centre)

result= you stay at your spot and are free to dps boss

it's the exact kitten way with slippery slope, but god forbid we have to do something other then range from centre with 6k dps right (yes, had warriors using rifle....)

I hated myself for playing this game every time slippery slope was an instability, so I quit.

It's not hard. It's just not fun. I play this game for fun and the challenge, if one part fails that spectacularly I just don't want to do it anymore. Now I can finally go back.

I clear t4 and cms daily and although i feel it didnt make any of the fractals unplayable, it did make them very tedious and annoying at times to complete. Slippery slope was an interesting mechanic for sure and yes it was funny the first few times but it gets old real fast especially when its part of deepstone making a filler section ten times harder for no reason. Im sure if they wanted to they could bring it back for a new fractal with a snowy/icy theme.

@"melandru.3876" said:i mean...molten boss fractal when you kill berserker first, then firestorm phases, and causes a tornado on the edges that "suck you off the border"

that specific phase, IS exactly what slippery slope is. you get moved to a position you don't want to (sucked to the edge) so you counter it my moving to the oppsite direction (centre)

result= you stay at your spot and are free to dps boss

it's the exact kitten way with slippery slope, but god forbid we have to do something other then range from centre with 6k dps right (yes, had warriors using rifle....)

What is this? 2017? You kill Firestorm first. Powered-up Berserker is just a DPS golem after you break the defiance bar. No annoying tornados nor melee players having a "fun" time trying to DPS.

@"melandru.3876" said:i mean...molten boss fractal when you kill berserker first, then firestorm phases, and causes a tornado on the edges that "suck you off the border"

that specific phase, IS exactly what slippery slope is.No, because you can simply stay in the middle. You don't get outside, you don't get affected. There weren't any fights with similar slippery slope-safe spots though.

If Anet tried to have the vortex cover the whole platform, you can be sure people would have been very angry about it.

So, basically, apples and oranges.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

that specific phase, IS exactly what slippery slope is.No, because you can simply stay in the middle. You don't get outside, you don't get affected. There weren't any fights with similar slippery slope-safe spots though.

If Anet tried to have the vortex cover the whole platform, you can be sure people would have been very angry about it.

So, basically, apples and oranges.

if you stay in middle, and firstorm is at edge you do zero damage as melee, so extending the fight...ironically, the major complaint is that "the fractals now take to long"

make up your mind, will you

@"Zaraki.5784" said:

1. Because that's what most people asked for and Anet listened to them for once.
  2. Because those two instabilities were annoying as hell.

wrong, on both endsi like how 5 negatove threads somehow represent the "majority", while in reality it's the oppsitethe ones who enjoy something simply do sothe ones who don't feel the need to express it.

which part is the minority now?

@melandru.3876 said:

@"Zaraki.5784" said:
  1. Because that's what most people asked for and Anet listened to them for once.

wrong, on both endsi like how 5 negatove threads somehow represent the "majority", while in reality it's the oppsiteSo, the majority actually liked those instabilities? I guess it's why the amount of players in fractals after previous instab change plummeted....oh wait.

@melandru.3876 said:

@"Zaraki.5784" said:

wrong, on both endsi like how 5 negatove threads somehow represent the "majority", while in reality it's the oppsitethe ones who enjoy something simply do sothe ones who don't feel the need to express it.

which part is the minority now?

When there are elections, those who "don't feel the need to express it" aren't considered. Here is the same, if you liked them you should've expressed before, now it's late. It's not like Anet or anyone else can quantify the numbers of those who liked them if they didn't say a word.However I only heard complaints, I never heard of people who liked them nor here on forums nor in game, if they liked them, they should've said it!So yes, they're still the minority unless proved wrong.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Zaraki.5784" said:

wrong, on both endsi like how 5 negatove threads somehow represent the "majority", while in reality it's the oppsiteSo, the majority actually liked those instabilities? I guess it's why the amount of players in fractals after previous instab change plummeted....oh wait.

show me a thread made by a seasoned cm-player, you'll have to dig really deep, if you even find onepugs will be pugs

pugs are "happy" if they somehow have a good party composition, then each is running whatever build they like. scourges staff autoattacking? yes sir, they exist.who will struggle to clear content? i know i don't

i don’t understand people preaching about wanting the game fun and challenge but you ignore the challenge part as part of slippery slope.

birds have to go cuz we’re not all daredevils with an extra dodge that can be wasted. plus the birds, if they ever come back, need to be tweaked. nobody gets out of combat when they’re around and it makes return to checkpoint for downed players hard. so your group has to force a /gg and walk all the way to their current position.

i do CMs and t4s daily with pugs. that is a super tough environment to live in.I really like slippery slope and still do. but it needs a rework for so many people as well. i know some have bad motion sickness and just avoid it in general. it’s like rpg games with riding horses. Anet could have toned it down and make skills involved movement more reliable. cuz them skills were missing or fly off into mid air and it affected dps as well as healing significantly for “slippery slope inexperienced” people. idk what to call here since a lot of people just avoid the instability instead of spending more time to master it and rage less? the first 3 days SS came out with it present in consecutive 100CMs was crazy. but i adapted and it made me focus on my position more than ever before.

please don’t moan about molten bosses cuz you’re killing firestorm first. lol. if not firestorm first, you need to practice your dps. same for SS in deepstone. if you have any problem falling off the platform, it means your party people don’t use special action off cd, which means you dun do a part of that fractal’s mechanics.the instability doesn’t make a fractal unplayable, it poses challenges when go with other instabilities, force you to learn where to stand, when to move and do mechanics of that fractal. just please bring slippery slope back but give it a good twerking tweak. deleting things out of oblivion doesn’t fix the problem.

@melandru.3876 said:

@"Zaraki.5784" said:

show me a thread made by a seasoned cm-playerThere
were
seasoned cm-players in those threads as well. Which is besides the point. It's the fractal population dropping significantly after instab change (which it did) that matters. It wouldn't happen if most people actually liked those changes.

@"Hex.2579" said:i don’t understand people preaching about wanting the game fun and challenge but you ignore the challenge part as part of slippery slope.

How hard is it to understand: The "challenge" slippery slope provided was unfun for too many players, so they quit. I bet anet has the numbers, or they wouldn't have removed it. Fractals were never designed with ice floor physics in place. It's just really bad game design. The End.

It's not about hard or easy.Instabilities are secondary mechanisms meant to add some variety to the fights but some of the new ones ended up completely overshadowing the core design of a fractal.Although I too didn't want birds completely removed,increasing the spawn frequency would be a better solution,this particular instability-the way it was implemented-made me almost drop fractals completely as it became one dodge too many for my taste.We already have to dodge something or die every 2 - 3 seconds in t4 fights and buuurds was the drop that filled the "enough with the dodge" bucket.As for slippery slope,this was not a serious addition.It would be great as a April Fool's day gimmick and it's great they got around and decided to remove it.

@"Spike.5073" said:How hard is it to understand: The "challenge" slippery slope provided was unfun for too many players, so they quit. I bet anet has the numbers, or they wouldn't have removed it. Fractals were never designed with ice floor physics in place. It's just really bad game design. The End.

still fun to me. and i pug daily. i wish Ben was here cuz that's how those instabilities were here in the first place. they may remove it now and add it later with a fix ;] how many times this has happened? i'm sure you'd know it by now.i trained at least 1-2 new players each weak for fractals. pugs and lfg are still the same, plenty. just cuz some people quit playing fractals cuz they aren't patient enough to master them or keep on raging, it doesn't mean the other people don't jump in and play. people who i haven't seen fractals for a long time came back after the introduction of the new instabilities. so it actually balances the scale. i'd love to see the numbers as well if Anet ever releases it. you have low gravity physics, there's nothing wrong with drifting physics. it just needs to be reworked for the majority. and i'm sure they plan to work on it. it's just how and when so it's been taken away in the mean time. birds are gone cuz it's just bad on so many levels.

If stability disabled the icefloor effect it would have been a good instability. But no counterplay = no fun.Birds was just annoying because they messed up your rotations at random intervals with their aoe blinds. Rng if they show up or not, not fun.They will not be missed. Have no problems with the rest of the instabilities.

@Spike.5073 said:Will you stop playing because they removed slippery slope?nope. why should i? i'm not one of those raging birdies, so it wouldn't affect my gameplay. i was just trying to put my 2 cents about the removal of slippery slope. and reading around the forums, i'm not in the minority as well =]

We originally tried stability that disables slippery slope but it felt bad to have it randomly turn on and off. There was likely a way to make that work but the slippery slope mechanic in hindsight is much better as a mechanic for a specific encounter rather than a global modifier just because of how much it changes the way combat and movement works. It is indeed fun to mess around with but as a persistent effect in combat I found it less fun personally and went against the core feel of the game. The birds didn’t have great counterplay IMO it just forces you to dodge.

Honestly designing instabilities is really hard.

Archived