Make unidentified gear bags exempt from global salvaging

@holodoc.5748 said:

Again, NOT a real solution. Invisible bags do not automatically start new unidentified gear stacks. If you remove the gear from the bag the next stack will end up in the first available slot of the inventory and that's usually not a safe bag.

Safe bags are just a partial band aid solution to something that was clearly not given enough thought. Making quality of life changes should add actual worth to user experience but having to deal with safe bags and a system which makes it even harder to quickly salvage loot, because now you have to split/open/salvage the gear, is just a far worse experience.

The Olmakhan Bandolier collects bags automatically which is why I posted a request for an invisible version. That would also make them except from salvage all and merchants.

@holodoc.5748 said:Again, NOT a real solution. Invisible bags do not automatically start new unidentified gear stacks. If you remove the gear from the bag the next stack will end up in the first available slot of the inventory and that's usually not a safe bag.I dunno: it's real for me. It's what I started using when unID gear was first introduced and it works a treat. It's far, far, far, far, far less work than having to deal with dozens of different pieces of actual gear, which is what we had before.

Instead of maintaining 50+ free slots, I can reserve just 3. Instead of being forced to salvage when the game demands it, I can salvage whenever I like... which might be never.

I think it would be far less convenient for some of us to be forced to deal with a bloated UI for salvaging 3-4 items, although I can certainly understand why not everyone agrees.

Invest in some invisible bags and reserve a few slots for your unid'd gear. It's a good investment (safe place for your alt weapons/armor) and you don't have this problem anymore.

With all that space you're retroactively saving you should find a point where you can sort your unid's before you start building stacks and stacks of them. There's no point now in hoarding them. They're meant to be opened.

Alt+Shift a few out from the invisible bag reserves at your convenience and off you go. The only feasible reason I can imagine saving them up for is maybe to open them in a specific region for region exclusive loot maybe. Might be a good way to get things like the etched and legionnaire weapon skins.

If you're a long time player though you probably already have these sorts of things. But there's a battle plan for you just in case.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:Alt+Shift a few out from the invisible bag reserves at your convenience and off you go. The only feasible reason I can imagine saving them up for is maybe to open them in a specific region for region exclusive loot maybe. Might be a good way to get things like the etched and legionnaire weapon skins.Region specific loot has its own spot in the loot tables and is not impacted by the change. What comes out of unidentified gear is generic skins (plus reclaimed and elonian), and it doesn't matter where you are when you identify it.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:Alt+Shift a few out from the invisible bag reserves at your convenience and off you go. The only feasible reason I can imagine saving them up for is maybe to open them in a specific region for region exclusive loot maybe. Might be a good way to get things like the etched and legionnaire weapon skins.Region specific loot has its own spot in the loot tables and is not impacted by the change. What comes out of unidentified gear is generic skins (plus reclaimed and elonian), and it doesn't matter where you are when you identify it.

That's good to know. I don't know why I thought the unid bags had a chance to drop region specific loot. I'm reading the dev post and your post and that makes sense. I interpreted it wrong the first go around. Even less of a reason to hoard them then.

@"holodoc.5748" said:It's not a solution and here is why.

Pre-patch workflow:

Post-patch workflow:

I can't stress enough how much I hate the added post-patch busywork required to just salvage all the contents of the unidentified gear bags now.In the upper left of your inventory screen are two numbers: total inventory slots on the character and used inventory slots. Subtract the 2nd from the first, alt+drag an appropriately sized part of the stack to the next slot, open that and salvage away.

Personally I very much prefer this way to getting "inventory full" messages in the middle of meta events, wvw fights, and whatever other places you can think of where fiddling around with your inventory is the best recipe to get killed.

@Julius Seizure.4985 said:It is so rediculously easy to “seed” a blue, green, and yellow Unidentified Gear in an invisible bag slot and have this issue completely addressed. It’s why these bags exist!!!

“But I don’t wanna,” is invariably the reply.

It's a legitimate reply though given that unids are meant to reduce the amount of inventory management - which includes clicks and moves. Invisible bags are a solution, but not to the overall inventory management issue. To some, this patch improved it, to others it increased the problem. Adding an option to exclude salvaging unids is pretty much the soluton short of a radical overhaul of the entire rewards system which isn't realistic . I'm uncertain why there is resistance to the idea.

@holodoc.5748 said:

@holodoc.5748 said:It's not a solution and here is why.I just explained to you how it solves nearly all problems in inventory management for me.

I'm sorry you don't see the benefits.

"It doesn't bother me" is not a solution. It's personal preference.

No, I'm not saying, "it doesn't bother me." I'm saying that I now spend less time on inventory management. It's not theoretically better; it's actually better.In contrast, you've been describing how your personal preference leads to additional busywork and inconvenience.

I am not against additional quality of life improvements. I just think the current situation is amazingly convenient: I get the same loot as before and get to choose when I deal with it. For some reason, you've fixated on the "but I have to click to ID it" aspect, without looking at the total picture.

So please remind me again, why are you against it?

I rest my case here.

A lot of us are against these complaints because an easy solution already exists, it’s just not what you prefer. Developer time is a more valuable resource, and you are effectively asking for them to code on something that already has a solution...

@holodoc.5748 said:

@holodoc.5748 said:It's not a solution and here is why.

Pre-patch workflow
:

Post-patch workflow:

I can't stress enough how much I hate the added post-patch busywork required to just salvage all the contents of the unidentified gear bags now.In the upper left of your inventory screen are two numbers: total inventory slots on the character and used inventory slots. Subtract the 2nd from the first, alt+drag an appropriately sized part of the stack to the next slot, open that and salvage away.

Personally I very much prefer this way to getting "inventory full" messages in the middle of meta events, wvw fights, and whatever other places you can think of where fiddling around with your inventory is the best recipe to get killed.

So, instead of just directly salvaging and quickly depositing collectibles you prefer to first do all the inventory space math, split stacks, open all the bags, salvage every single bag manually because you can't use "Salvage All", deposit salvaged stuff and then rinse and repeat until you've done with all the bags? Because you know, your inventory will get filled with other stuff in WvW, not just bags of unidentified gear.Why can't you use "salvage all"? The whole point is to put the stacks of unidentified gear somewhere where they are save from salvaging (invisible bag or shared slot), then pull out a part of them to "use all" and "salvage all". And if simple subtraction is too much to ask, just take a quick look at how many empty bags are in your inventory and break off a stack of 20/40/60 as rough approximate of how many empty spots you can fill.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@holodoc.5748 said:It's not a solution and here is why.

Pre-patch workflow
:

Post-patch workflow:

So, instead of just directly salvaging and quickly depositing collectibles you prefer to first do all the inventory space math, split stacks, open all the bags, salvage every single bag manually because you can't use "Salvage All", deposit salvaged stuff and then rinse and repeat until you've done with all the bags? Because you know, your inventory will get filled with other stuff in WvW, not just bags of unidentified gear.Why can't you use "salvage all"? The whole point is to put the stacks of unidentified gear somewhere where they are save from salvaging (invisible bag or shared slot), then pull out a part of them to "use all" and "salvage all". And if simple subtraction is too much to ask, just take a quick look at how many empty bags are in your inventory and break off a stack of 20/40/60 as rough approximate of how many empty spots you can fill.

Because the whole idea behind unids is to save inventory management. Buying new bags, moving the unids around, identifying, then salvaging in groups (and hoping your open all doesn't go into overflow) doesn't alleviate the inventory management system. What holo suggests, removes the need to worry about where you even put those unids at all and genuinely lessens the amount of inventory management required.

Invisible bags is an acceptable workaround (for many) and a stop gap. However, there is simply no reason Holo's feedback should be objected to though if it can be done. It literally is a win/win if it gets implemented.

As I've said in another thread:For me, the invisible bag works perfectly, but as there is an option to Salvage Stack on the salvage kits I see no reason against exempting unIDed gear from Salvage All.

Those against - give one reason against that isn't either "it works as is" or "unnecessary dev work".The first is straight up a bad argument if the proposed change doesn't meaningfully affect you (and we who keep them in Invisible bags or shared inventory would not see any effective difference), and the second is reasonable for big changes but way overused for stuff we don't know how hard they are to do.

Archived