NERF DAMAGE REDUCTION FOOD

beatthedown.2651

I know there are lots of busted food buffs in this game, but damage reduction takes the cake for me. Especially since the reduction modifier stacks very weird, resulting in a very noticable effect. Even the wiki acknowledges that damage reduction is inconsistent in this game.

Every time I see this buff on an enemy, it's "tryhard alert" for me.

Either change the effect or half it to 5% reduction. This food is not healthy for this gamemode and discourages diversity.

Nerf everything! 5% less damage reduction food will be "healthy for this game mode"? Why not 3% or 7%? Also will encourage diversity... since the less options you have, the better this becomes?

You know what "takes the cake"? The unavoidable 20k damage bursts under 2 seconds, that still exist, from multiple sources. Now if there was a limit of maximum percent of health one can lose per second (like 25% or 33% or anything), these food workarounds could be removed.

The time to kill adjustment is very much a preference; one likes it to kill in a single hit, others want a long(er) fight, and this time to kill has to fit into the game. In this kind of RvR team game, the fight must last a while, that's the fun part, the battle itself. The kill is the end of it. Not many will run back if they are just insta-killed again and again, no fun in that. This isn't a samurai duel simulation, where the first strike is the end of it.

@"beatthedown.2651" said:I know there are lots of busted food buffs in this game, but damage reduction takes the cake for me. Especially since the reduction modifier stacks very weird, resulting in a very noticable effect. Even the wiki acknowledges that damage reduction is inconsistent in this game.

Either change the effect or half it to 5% reduction. This food is not healthy for this gamemode and discourages diversity.

no :)since this game offers way too much damage in all kind its a good life insurance#

be a good guy and stop ganking :)

i agree with the other posters here. Food isnt the problem. The insane burst damages and super low Time to Kill needs to be looked at. I mean i play power rev and even i think its stupid that i can teleport from up to 1800 units away and drop 20k in 3 attacks of under 2 secs. But at least i have to be in melee range to do the damage. Certain classes cough soulbeast can do that from a million miles away.

@Spartacus.3192 said:i agree with the other posters here. Food isnt the problem. The insane burst damages and super low Time to Kill needs to be looked at. I mean i play power rev and even i think its stupid that i can teleport from up to 1800 units away and drop 20k in 3 attacks of under 2 secs. But at least i have to be in melee range to do the damage. Certain classes cough soulbeast can do that from a million miles away.

but then again with the burst you hit one player for 40k, the other player can just facetank it.the extremes go in both ways: damage and sustain.

@"beatthedown.2651" said:I know there are lots of busted food buffs in this game, but damage reduction takes the cake for me. Especially since the reduction modifier stacks very weird, resulting in a very noticable effect. Even the wiki acknowledges that damage reduction is inconsistent in this game.

Could you explain how it kills diversity?

I choose my food as a supplement to my overall build. If my build comes up light on sustain, I choose some damage reduction, vitality, or toughness. It seems to me it's opening diversity in my builds.

If the 10% bothers you, counter it in your build or play style. It's like you're saying, "I don't want to diversify my build around yours, so nerf yours so mine functions as I'd like."

You know what I see when I see one shot builds? Try hards that can't sustain a fight outside of one combo.

Can you explain what "tryhard" is to you?

@Turk.5460 said:

Can you explain what "tryhard" is to you?

Someone who doesn’t like being blown up in 1 shot? ?

Spoken like a true Ranger...

seriously though... How this is NOT healthy to slow down this insane bomb a power creep and BS pew pew Ranger sniping isk...

As someone else pointed out, the reason isn't because we think 1shit is OK. The problem is the huge variety of TTK in 1v1s. Some fights are decided after just 2-4 weapon rotations.. that's usually the case if the fight is between high dps builds.. BUT..if 1 guy is dps build however the other is playing some sort of bunker/sustain coupled with rotation, they can practically last forever. Sure, neither will die but honestly that's no fun.By game design I think everyone should be able to die in a 1v1 if you fight vs a build with high dmg. Scrapper, chrono, condi/bunker rev, FB, bunker spellbreaker, boonsustain axe soulbeast all run defensive stats sure.. but they are invincible in a 1v1. I don't think it should be possible. It's bad for the game.

I'm not saying 1shot is good.. I also think 1shot dmg should be nerfed.. but fighting for 5+ minutes 1v1 is just silly and should ONLY happen if TWO bunker/tanks fight each other. At that point you only win if your opponent gets bored.

@bigo.9037 said:As someone else pointed out, the reason isn't because we think 1shit is OK. The problem is the huge variety of TTK in 1v1s. Some fights are decided after just 2-4 weapon rotations.. that's usually the case if the fight is between high dps builds.. BUT..if 1 guy is dps build however the other is playing some sort of bunker/sustain coupled with rotation, they can practically last forever. Sure, neither will die but honestly that's no fun.By game design I think everyone should be able to die in a 1v1 if you fight vs a build with high dmg. Scrapper, chrono, condi/bunker rev, FB, bunker spellbreaker, boonsustain axe soulbeast all run defensive stats sure.. but they are invincible in a 1v1. I don't think it should be possible. It's bad for the game.

I'm not saying 1shot is good.. I also think 1shot dmg should be nerfed.. but fighting for 5+ minutes 1v1 is just silly and should ONLY happen if TWO bunker/tanks fight each other. At that point you only win if your opponent gets bored.

All of this is going on the assumption that 1 v 1 is intended.

While it happens, balance has always been geared towards the groups. Not 1 v 1 in WvW.

So as I may not disagree with your idea, it’s far less likely to happen in this mode.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@bigo.9037 said:As someone else pointed out, the reason isn't because we think 1shit is OK. The problem is the huge variety of TTK in 1v1s. Some fights are decided after just 2-4 weapon rotations.. that's usually the case if the fight is between high dps builds.. BUT..if 1 guy is dps build however the other is playing some sort of bunker/sustain coupled with rotation, they can practically last forever. Sure, neither will die but honestly that's no fun.By game design I think everyone should be able to die in a 1v1 if you fight vs a build with high dmg. Scrapper, chrono, condi/bunker rev, FB, bunker spellbreaker, boonsustain axe soulbeast all run defensive stats sure.. but they are invincible in a 1v1. I don't think it should be possible. It's bad for the game.

While it happens, balance has always been geared towards the groups. Not 1 v 1 in WvW.

So as I may not disagree with your idea, it’s far less likely to happen in this mode.

Sure it is. But you can't just ignore a significant fact of any open world pvp game that 1v1 is going to happen.Besides, 2 sustain builds can complement each other as well vs 2 dps builds.

Also, balancing around wvw blobbing is just silly. That's not even what they are doing except adjusting OP fbs and scourges cus they completely change everything. But why do you think they update thief and ranger? Because fights no matter how many players are relevant.

1v1 is indeed intended. But the issues I highlighted are still relevant regardless if there are more players or not. You think it's a coincidence scrappers usually need 2-3 players to kill them? Fb usually needs at least 2. That's not good design. The only reason 1shot exists is to counter the braindead sustain meta. But then sustain noobs go cry in forum they take so much dmg!! Nerf dmg!! Okay so you want to be able to do whatever you want and not be at risk of dying unless there are like 3 to 4 people focusing you at once? No way.

Lower the extremes.. less 1shot burst dmg.. less invincible sustain..

@bigo.9037 said:

Sure it is. But you can't just ignore a significant fact of any open world pvp game that 1v1 is going to happen.Besides, 2 sustain builds can complement each other as well vs 2 dps builds.

You’re telling me that two bursts builds can’t kill one focused sustain build? Without taking significant damage themselves?

Also, balancing around wvw blobbing is just silly. That's not even what they are doing except adjusting OP fbs and scourges cus they completely change everything. But why do you think they update thief and ranger? Because fights no matter how many players are relevant.

Do you really think they balance thief and Mesmer because of WvW? Most of the nerfs that hit the WvW builds are because of hits to the class in other areas, namely sPvP or PvE.

WvW is intended to be about larger fights, which the ‘balance’ is based on multipliers of force, not of individual skill sets.

1v1 is indeed intended.Intended is different than expected.

But the issues I highlighted are still relevant regardless if there are more players or not. You think it's a coincidence scrappers usually need 2-3 players to kill them? Fb usually needs at least 2. That's not good design. The only reason 1shot exists is to counter the braindead sustain meta. But then sustain noobs go cry in forum they take so much dmg!! Nerf dmg!! Okay so you want to be able to do whatever you want and not be at risk of dying unless there are like 3 to 4 people focusing you at once? No way.

In a team based game of course it’s good design.

If they wanted duels or 1v1 they would have custom arenas for that or a ‘duel’ option.

Oh wait, that exists..... In sPvP

In a vacuum that sounds great.

But let’s take the ‘bunker’ side of your argument. If that bunker is unable to kill the high burst builds then they aren’t going to be able to take camps either which, removes any reason for that person to Solo Roam. And if that’s the case, they are either with a partner or party, or on their way back to a Zerg. And if that is the case, it’s a moot point. Of course that build is designed for a different function and should be left alone.

If that ‘bunker’ is able to kill the Burst build, then again, they are likely roaming and I would suggest the other tank up a little bit more.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

You’re telling me that two bursts builds can’t kill one focused sustain build? Without taking significant damage themselves?

Do you really think they balance thief and Mesmer because of WvW? Most of the nerfs that hit the WvW builds are because of hits to the class in other areas, namely sPvP or PvE.

WvW is intended to be about larger fights, which the ‘balance’ is based on multipliers of force, not of individual skill sets.

But the issues I highlighted are still relevant regardless if there are more players or not. You think it's a coincidence scrappers usually need 2-3 players to kill them? Fb usually needs at least 2. That's not good design. The only reason 1shot exists is to counter the braindead sustain meta. But then sustain noobs go cry in forum they take so much dmg!! Nerf dmg!! Okay so you want to be able to do whatever you want and not be at risk of dying unless there are like 3 to 4 people focusing you at once? No way.

If they wanted duels or 1v1 they would have custom arenas for that or a ‘duel’ option.

But let’s take the ‘bunker’ side of your argument. If that bunker is unable to kill the high burst builds then they aren’t going to be able to take camps either which, removes any reason for that person to Solo Roam. And if that’s the case, they are either with a partner or party, or on their way back to a Zerg. And if that is the case, it’s a moot point. Of course that build is designed for a different function and should be left alone.

If that ‘bunker’ is able to kill the Burst build, then again, they are likely roaming and I would suggest the other tank up a little bit more.

I am just arguing sustain builds be toned down a little. Idk if you gotta fix the stats or just the trait/skill balance. The thing is if you play dmg build you tend to have less options of regaining lost health throughout rotations other than your heal. That means they need to be more careful. If they take dmg they usually have to retreat unless they are confident they can kill the other before they get killed themselves. This applies to most smallscale fights. The problem is that sustain builds can usually make 29 mistakes and still be a-ok. To kill these builds you need to continually out rotate them and outplay them for several rotations before you start making a dent in their survivability. And even then a lot of them can easily retreat, some have great mobility too.

Agreed. We need organic, and vegan substitutes that provide +5% incoming damage. The real try hards will use this new food if they're planning to maintain their figure while increasing the challenge.

D:

It's more like a potential hacker alert for me. There were instances where I've seen people with this food not taking any damage at all or just constantly healing at a ridiculously high rate. I imagine the endurance regen food is also used similarly to cover up using infinite endurance hacks if such a thing exists.

@bigo.9037 said:

I am just arguing sustain builds be toned down a little. Idk if you gotta fix the stats or just the trait/skill balance. The thing is if you play dmg build you tend to have less options of regaining lost health throughout rotations other than your heal. That means they need to be more careful. If they take dmg they usually have to retreat unless they are confident they can kill the other before they get killed themselves. This applies to most smallscale fights. The problem is that sustain builds can usually make 29 mistakes and still be a-ok. To kill these builds you need to continually out rotate them and outplay them for several rotations before you start making a dent in their survivability. And even then a lot of them can easily retreat, some have great mobility too.

So, leave them be and move on. The game has never been about ‘skill’. It’s about builds and numbers. Equal builds, well then you can talk about skill which is why duelers duel.

There are builds that if I engage them, I know it isn’t likely to end well for me. AndSome of that is I know my skill may not be up to par, and I know there are builds that carry people.

But if you aren’t slowly whittling then down, leave,

More than likely if you are a DPS build you have mobility of sorts built in.

And from what you are saying, they can’t kill you either.

i have 11k hp as an ele, i sacrifice dmg to get vitality to 17k hp, meaning i need to push rest into dmg. with our low protection my health is burned down in seconds when attacked by 'tryhard' dps food eaters so I need some mitigation. the food is a side effect of the burst and poor balance work which is part of the root cause.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

So, leave them be and move on. The game has never been about ‘skill’. It’s about builds and numbers. Equal builds, well then you can talk about skill which is why duelers duel.

There are builds that if I engage them, I know it isn’t likely to end well for me. AndSome of that is I know my skill may not be up to par, and I know there are builds that carry people.

But if you aren’t slowly whittling then down, leave,

More than likely if you are a DPS build you have mobility of sorts built in.

And from what you are saying, they can’t kill you either.

Yes I can leave and yes I don't die either. I'm saying that that's stupid. Sure, it is about the build a lot. But just because build is a significant factor doesn't mean you should be able to have builds that make you invincible. TTK shouldn't be infinity just because you stacked protection spam, healing and toughness + condi cleansing.

In a good balanced game you have tanks that don't deal great dmg.. they take a long time to kill.. but they DO die. They can't just keep healing themselves forever. The only way a tank would live forever in those games is if he's getting healed by priest or other heal class. Unless they focus healer.

In gw2, tanks can't die. That's what I don't like. It's bad design and it isn't fun for anybody. It's just straight up boring. It's only fun for a little while the first few times"Haha I'm invincible they can't kill me!" But it gets old really fast.

Archived