Macro use question - voice

My husband wants to play, but has medical issues with his hands. He has a voice program, and can use it for controls, but he has a lag issue. What he would like is to be able to target an enemy and start shooting with one word, to compensate for the lag. We know that you cannot do skill chains, but is targeting a part of skill chains? He just wants to target an enemy and get off the first shot. After that, each shot is its own command. My question is, would targeting and shooting (open world against mobs only) be a prohibited macro since targeting is not in the skill section?

In the options panel, there are these settings:

• Double-click (or right-click) to attack/interact
  • Autotargeting: if you use a skill with nothing targeted, the game will automatically select an appropriate target
  • Promote Skill Target: automatically promote targets to "lock" targets when hitting them
  • Allow Skill Retargeting: when using a skill that targets enemies, changing your target will cause the skill to update with the new target

I recommend experimenting with those settings rather than program a macro that performs two actions directly. I'm reasonably sure that some combination of that with the existing voice commands should work. If not, please let us know what his experience is; we should be able to figure out something.

@"Caedmon.6798" mentioned that ANet now explicitly allows "dodge jump" macros, which is an exception to the "one action, one key|mouse press" rule of thumb. Before that, ANet never responded directly to questions about whether that was okay. All the same, there were no reported (or even suspected) cases of someone getting suspended for using it. Consequently, it's likely that this also wouldn't be an issue and that you wouldn't get a clear answer from ANet about it.

The issue that ANet would deal with is: what happens if they give the okay to different rules for voice macros (as opposed to key|mouse macros)? You can imagine the difficulty in trying to figure out who has legit need and who's using it as a loophole to get around the rules. In their shoes, it would be reasonable to say nothing (or worse: to say, "don't do it.")

Archived