Why is Soulbeast so popular in WvW?

Joshewwah.2956

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Joshewwah.2956" said:About 20-30% of the people I see in WvW on a T1/T2 server, at least on my server are soulbeasts, why is this? Whats the appeal? The build doesn't really contribute much to zergs and I was surprised we managed to defend a t3 keep on eb

Not especially good for zerginng, but one of the "best" or easiest profession especs for roaming, due to it's good mobility, sustain, boon duration, range. There are 2 varants of sb I usually see in wvw, one is the 1shot burst one, that hits like a truck from miles away, but in exchange for godlike sustain, the other one, also called the "boonbeast", is a 100% all boons uptime duelist, that doesn't have that much burst, but still puts out enough dmg to be threatening even to more bunkerish builds, while almost immortal in 1v1s if played right.

@Anput.4620 said:

@Anput.4620 said:It can dismount someone unlike everyone else.

This.

If a dismount skill is added then it will be more diversified again.

Yeah GL catching up to their mount with yours!

Just a tip, you won't.

who is dumb enough to chase someone from behind in a strait line in thier own territory?Have you not heard of positioning or just completely ignored the basics to make that comment?

@"Joshewwah.2956" said:About 20-30% of the people I see in WvW on a T1/T2 server, at least on my server are soulbeasts, why is this? Whats the appeal? The build doesn't really contribute much to zergs and I was surprised we managed to defend a t3 keep on eb

I would say most of the pewpew rangers are pvers which came in for the mount and then stayed. And that build is really easy to play baddly with some degree of results, they can down you really easy if you build a little bit glassy.

I would not go as far to say there is a 20-30% their use is much less, Once the players realize they can down but not finish any players from the saftely of the walls htey usually change for Revenant which is same reach with passive unblockables and much more damage:

You get to notice them more because you are not used to be killed by those, the skill is almost invisible unless the player is using a legendary bow (yes bois, gurls and inbewteens, rangers using kudzu or pharus makes their RF less effective ) and then you see the ranger is pewpewing you from the wall.. Just that.

Soulbeast is the most imba PvP class in the game atm. Thats all.Oh, and also not the boonbeast but zerk soulbeasts (with longbows and Sic'em) are machine specified for dismounting and killing unaware players. Some ppl find it funny clicking 2 buttons and seeing pewpew dealing 15k+ damage.

Soulbeast is easy to play and not punishing as some classes. The range advantage is desirable for kiting and range burst (especially vs unaware targets), beast form has a stunbreak and really good skills. All in all it is a very good (and a little unbalanced) profession for WvW, where the range and mobility advantage means so much.

On top of all, the ability to dismount someone without spending your every tool is also a big plus.

Easy and effective. A perfect "noob killer" for people who aren't as experienced at the game themselves. Everybody can pick it up and have at least moderate success. Warrior for example has problems getting kited to hell and beck, which makes many people just not play that class etc.

talking about EU?

maybe because gandara and SFR are quite good solo players? or gankers or roamers w/e u wanna call them.obviously people will tell me playing ranger takes no skill, maybe correct but dodging the burst or using terrain advantage till his dmg buffs are off doesnt take skill either.

anyway SLB is just way to go now as roamer since its easy to pop one off his mount and if played "correct" and pop all buffs at ones u can hit zerk players for ~8 to ~12k dmg on normal hits so ye why not?tho the avarage ranger in open field are quite bad, not many of them know how to play beside putting all dmg mods together and pew pew after that they dont know what the hell to do.

and maybe cus thief has been hit by nerf bad since for ever and is no longer the one and only most mobile char?and since mesmer has been hit by nerf hammer also?

tho i see plenty of holos guards/DH's and thiefs/mesmers around also so not sure what the problem is maybe u died few times to rangers and got upset and think theres only rangers around? :D

They are popular because longbow is the best open field weapon in the gamemode.It is easy to play, fast to become good at, easy to play solo, easy to gank people with it in the safety of 1500 (1800+) range, rewarding and very forgiving.Plus as many people said it's the easiest profession to play to dismount people.If you play boonbeast, 90% of the job is done by the build and not by the player skill, so that's another reason too.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Because is a "range" class. Since history of mmo, majority always favor range classes.

Now question is why ranger over other range classes? Because it has even more range than other classes.

Yep, safe to play and you grossly outrange everyone else. Toss in stealth and damage invulnerability and its the king of glass cannons.

One very important factor is overlooked: It is a quite popular class outside of the game mode too. Alot of players in open world PvE seem to favour rangers because it allows them to customize pets etc. If there is an influx of such players you can easily see the respective class climb as well. Then most other things that have been said in the thread already are equally true (safe, easy to get into, low skillfloor, high solo burst for havoc, good roamer etc.), one thing does not necessarily exclude another. The overall popularity of the class does however contribute more to the amount leisurely lounging around than one might assume. Much more than demounting or whatever people are whining about now.

it's a noob stomper build, effective on those who are too busy picking daisies to bother about their surroundings/distance from the enemy.

unlike thief + mesmer, you will most certainly see the ranger coming/lingering around so you can anticipate the typical knock back + LB 2 spam followed by GS maul + the stun thing and the mother of all 'sit down' skills if it ain't dead yet - worldy impact. two types you got boon beast which is annoying sustainy kinda prolongs the fight and then there's full b_lls to the walls yolo zerk sic em sniper which i tried out for the lulz yesterday and does well to dismount players hugging warkitties & squishy targets.

i'd say the old buff to rapid fire followed by HoT tanky druid troll builds and slowly thereafter unblockables on certain soulbeast trait/signet ranger has always had a place in wvw as roamer, ganker, small scale single target focus + removing siege and other minute roles.

hope that helps answer your question.

@Zephyra.4709 said:unlike thief + mesmer, you will most certainly see the ranger coming/lingering around so you can anticipate the typical knock back + LB 2 spam followed by GS maul + the stun thing and the mother of all 'sit down' skills if it ain't dead yet - worldy impact.Unlike? Lol they are all just as predictable if its a meta build. Only difference is that the sb burst when done right cant be blocked.

Archived