Is Mordremoth a kind of Dragon Dryad?

Avariz.8241

The map meta of Dragon Stand showed when Mordremoth died his physical dragon body turned to wood. In addition to this he last solace were to seek his dying refuge in twine with a mega ancient tree trunk. This intimate dying relationship would indicate the fact that Mordremoth is a type of dragon dryad.

If Mordremoth were a type of dragon dryad then it would lead to the Pale Tree being a Mordremoth dragon champion descent being a type of dragon dryad also. The Pale Tree of cause already has a sylvari avatar. What if the Pale Tree also have an alternative dragon body as Mordremoth had beside that of the origin dragon tree. This means not only the Pale Tree has a mega tree form with an avatar but also in addition to this also has a dryad dragon physical body.

The implication is with 2 elder dragons dead the replacement for the 2 dead elder dragons are Aurene and the inclusion possibility of dragon dryad Pale Tree.

Mordremoth is a 'mind' (a thought, or a spiritual being) however you want to call it.That means he has no physical body, but can create them endlessly and possess them (given there's a connection to transfer the mind).

The pale tree is one of many seeds, and I personally believe that by purification when it was cut off from Mordremoth's hyve mind, it created a mini-hyve mind for itself (the dream) but that's just speculation. In any event, there are more trees like the Pale Tree, just without the dream. These spawn normal mordrem, (or in case of Mallyck which is a discontinued storyline). Mordremoth can then restore the sylvari to the mordrem state. From a point of origin's view, the sylvari is actually the corrupted form, and the mordrem the 'normal' form.

The only one to make and control alternative bodies is Mordremoth himself, no other champion or luitenant of his cause has shown this ability. The Maw of Mordremoth is a large spiral vine that drills into the earth to feast on the ley energies, and the roots of the mordrem pod-trees are connected here as well. Apart from that, he also has a serpentine body he controls to directly feast on the leyline islands near the maw.

I don't know if it's impossible for the pale tree to replace an elder dragon, I would find it very sketchy writing on anet's end to do so, as there's no implication to believe it's possible. so far only elder dragon's, and dragon whelplings have shown able to consume large quantities of magic (tequatl, shatterer, Jormag's claw, aurene, etc.)However, Mordremoth is not like a dryad 'bound' to the original tree. This was shown at the end, when we killed off his maw and heart, he would transfer his mind to the firstborn to whom he was attached at the time. By killing trahearne, we disconnected Mordremoth from the outside world, meaning his mind was trapped in a body that was dying, and he would've died with it. We also disconnected him from three poddling trees right before the maw fight.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Mordremoth is a 'mind' (a thought, or a spiritual being) however you want to call it.That means he has no physical body, but can create them endlessly and possess them (given there's a connection to transfer the mind).

The pale tree is one of many seeds, and I personally believe that by purification when it was cut off from Mordremoth's hyve mind, it created a mini-hyve mind for itself (the dream) but that's just speculation. In any event, there are more trees like the Pale Tree, just without the dream. These spawn normal mordrem, (or in case of Mallyck which is a discontinued storyline). Mordremoth can then restore the sylvari to the mordrem state. From a point of origin's view, the sylvari is actually the corrupted form, and the mordrem the 'normal' form.

The only one to make and control alternative bodies is Mordremoth himself, no other champion or luitenant of his cause has shown this ability. The Maw of Mordremoth is a large spiral vine that drills into the earth to feast on the ley energies, and the roots of the mordrem pod-trees are connected here as well. Apart from that, he also has a serpentine body he controls to directly feast on the leyline islands near the maw.

I don't know if it's impossible for the pale tree to replace an elder dragon, I would find it very sketchy writing on anet's end to do so, as there's no implication to believe it's possible. so far only elder dragon's, and dragon whelplings have shown able to consume large quantities of magic (tequatl, shatterer, Jormag's claw, aurene, etc.)However, Mordremoth is not like a dryad 'bound' to the original tree. This was shown at the end, when we killed off his maw and heart, he would transfer his mind to the firstborn to whom he was attached at the time. By killing trahearne, we disconnected Mordremoth from the outside world, meaning his mind was trapped in a body that was dying, and he would've died with it. We also disconnected him from three poddling trees right before the maw fight.

Well, the Pale Tree is considered Mordremoth's Dragon Champion. In regards to established lore, during Boss Week we had multiple in-game statements made that Teqatl had been gaining power and influence over the surrounding Risen as well as seemingly getting smarter since the death of Zhaitan, so it's not a stretch to say that the most powerful Dragon Minions begin picking up some of what a dead Elder Dragon puts down.

Originally, I believe Glint's plan was to kill kralkatorrik and then claim its power since Glint was Kralky's Dragon Champion as well (and she didn't lose access to that power when she was freed from his control by the Forgotten).

Of cause the Pale Tree and no sylvari has turned into a plant dragon yet. One possible plausible explanation could be transformation in to a plant dragon like Mordremoth has done has been suppressed early on. Remember all pot sylvari prior to sprouting had to kill a shadowy dragon in the dream of dreams. What if there is an alternative explanation to what is popularly known. That is what if this pre born sylvari dream of dreams is an actual act of suppressing sylvari dragon nature so that sylvari would not be able to turn in to plant dragons.

The implication could be like Aurene having the ability to absorb dead Elder Dragon magic it would be possible for sylvari to do like wise if their suppression from turning in to a plant dragon like turning in to a dragon minion were to be over come and the barrier were to be removed.

The tree that the Mouth of Mordremoth dies on makes me wonder though. This might be really out there or already debunked by something I missed, but is it possible the Elder Dragons stole their power to begin with, and Mordremoth's relation to that tree is sort of inverted from a dryad?

The tree looks old and broken, so it doesn't seem to me that it's as much of an avatar of Mordremoth itself, but what if it was some sort of proto-Pale Tree that Mordremoth stole his power from to begin with? That tree seems really important but it's never touched on.

Similarly, the Six came to Tyria through the Artesian Waters in Orr, which was said to be such a great source of power that it drew them to Tyria to begin with. Zhaitan was resting underneath Orr at the time, but the Artesian waters were not under his sway at the time, and he only corrupted them after his awakening. Is it possible that such a power source is why he chose to rest there to begin with, rather than the other way around?

Those two aren't very strong guesses and they're all I really have, but if they were true, I think you could look at the other Dragons differently. For instance, Kralkatorrik. The Searing dropped a bunch of terraforming crystals upon Ascalon, not unlike the Brand. It's possible (as far as I know), that this is because the Cauldron of Cataclysm unknowingly drew upon Kralkatorrik's power, but what if it was a power that simply always existed in that corner of the world, and that's what drew Kralkatorrik to the Blood Legion Homelands to begin with?

You could look at Primordus in a similar way. The Asura's Central Transfer Chamber was built over Primordus and it's assumed they unknowingly utilized his energy to power the network. However, in Living Story Season 2, the waypoint network is revealed to use Tyria's ley lines to function. What if the Central Transfer Chamber didn't work because Primordus was there innately, but that it worked and Primordus was there because it was a major ley line location?

This would also help explain something that has confused me about Glint. If the Elder Dragons were always beings holding sway over certain primordial powers, why is it that you can "cleanse" their children? Sure that might just be our perspective on it, but the free will and powers of Glint and the Pale Tree legitimately seem to be more normal or natural or however you want to put it, like they had previously been "corrupted", even though that corrupted state is how they were born. This would make more sense to me if the Elder Dragons were originally just dragons (or other creatures, Mordremoth often doesn't come across as draconic, perhaps he was some sort of dryad), that absorbed power from special locations (like the Heart of Thorns or the Artesian Waters), which granted them immense power and immortality, but also corrupted them with the nature of that power.

As a final point to this, The Elder Dragons are said to help regulate magic through Tyria's ley lines, but while the ley lines are clearly important to Tyria, the Elder Dragons don't seem directly connected, just a force that (had) achieved a balance in using them. I wonder if Tyria didn't used to need active regulation, and the magic was balanced through natural landmarks at major ley line nodes, before the Elder Dragons came along, stole that power, and ruined the balance to begin with.

@Jokubas.4265 said:The tree that the Mouth of Mordremoth dies on makes me wonder though. This might be really out there or already debunked by something I missed, but is it possible the Elder Dragons stole their power to begin with, and Mordremoth's relation to that tree is sort of inverted from a dryad?

The tree looks old and broken, so it doesn't seem to me that it's as much of an avatar of Mordremoth itself, but what if it was some sort of proto-Pale Tree that Mordremoth stole his power from to begin with? That tree seems really important but it's never touched on.

Similarly, the Six came to Tyria through the Artesian Waters in Orr, which was said to be such a great source of power that it drew them to Tyria to begin with. Zhaitan was resting underneath Orr at the time, but the Artesian waters were not under his sway at the time, and he only corrupted them after his awakening. Is it possible that such a power source is why he chose to rest there to begin with, rather than the other way around?

Those two aren't very strong guesses and they're all I really have, but if they were true, I think you could look at the other Dragons differently. For instance, Kralkatorrik. The Searing dropped a bunch of terraforming crystals upon Ascalon, not unlike the Brand. It's possible (as far as I know), that this is because the Cauldron of Cataclysm unknowingly drew upon Kralkatorrik's power, but what if it was a power that simply always existed in that corner of the world, and that's what drew Kralkatorrik to the Blood Legion Homelands to begin with?

You could look at Primordus in a similar way. The Asura's Central Transfer Chamber was built over Primordus and it's assumed they unknowingly utilized his energy to power the network. However, in Living Story Season 2, the waypoint network is revealed to use Tyria's ley lines to function. What if the Central Transfer Chamber didn't work because Primordus was there innately, but that it worked and Primordus was there because it was a major ley line location?

This would also help explain something that has confused me about Glint. If the Elder Dragons were always beings holding sway over certain primordial powers, why is it that you can "cleanse" their children? Sure that might just be our perspective on it, but the free will and powers of Glint and the Pale Tree legitimately seem to be more normal or natural or however you want to put it, like they had previously been "corrupted", even though that corrupted state is how they were born. This would make more sense to me if the Elder Dragons were originally just dragons (or other creatures, Mordremoth often doesn't come across as draconic, perhaps he was some sort of dryad), that absorbed power from special locations (like the Heart of Thorns or the Artesian Waters), which granted them immense power and immortality, but also corrupted them with the nature of that power.

As a final point to this, The Elder Dragons are said to help regulate magic through Tyria's ley lines, but while the ley lines are clearly important to Tyria, the Elder Dragons don't seem directly connected, just a force that (had) achieved a balance in using them. I wonder if Tyria didn't used to need active regulation, and the magic was balanced through natural landmarks at major ley line nodes, before the Elder Dragons came along, stole that power, and ruined the balance to begin with.

If I understand the HOT final boss fight right, Trahearne was held captive at the root base of that mega tree hulk and it is the place where we gained access to Mordremoth's mind. So that mega ruin hulk of a tree did had mental and physical connection to Mordremoth himself.

Mordrethoth's relation to his giant tree is like the Pale Tree's (avarta's) and sylvari's relation to the pale tree's physical tree. On the apparent surface sylvari are human at an arm's length distance in appearance and has very little similarity the elder dragon Mordremoth. However in the case of Ceara (Scarlet Briar) when she lost her sylvari protective barrier through the Omadd Machine experiment, she did exhibit tell tell signs of Mordremoth. Ceara herself killed Omadd with her own barbed vines as Mordremoth did with his giant ones. Except Ceara's barbed vines are very much smaller.

Archived