[sPvP] D/P + Sigil of Absorption

Exitus.3297

Hello all,

I'm not sure how many people still play D/P but just in case anyone does, I found something out about the Boon-steal priority for the Sigil of Absorption. The wiki says it goes like this:

• Resistance > Aegis > Retaliation > Swiftness > Might > Regeneration > Quickness > Fury > Vigor

I noticed Protection was missing from the list when I looked at it, so I tested it. After testing it thoroughly in some custom matches with a friend, I figured out that Protection comes after Retaliation but before Swiftness, meaning it is pretty high on the priority list. This opens up an interesting interaction with Headshot.

Since Headshot is blockable, Aegis can pretty much be removed from the list. That means as long as the target doesn't have Resistance or Retaliation, you will strip Protection. All 3 of those Boons are good in their own right, and the Retaliation steal is surprisingly useful against core guards (but I'm guessing most of you knew this).

I'm sure most of the people on the forums already knew this but I didn't see it talked about often so I thought I would post this here just in case. I thought about posting it in another forum but I honestly felt it was particularly relevant to D/P Thieves. I may repost in another forum. Either way, I hope this helps.

EDIT: Grammar (I really need to pay closer attention)

@"SoulSin.5682" said:I believe that stability is before resistance no?

That said, its funny that it gives higher priority for resistance.Bountiful Thief is quite the opposite.

It can't be because you can't interrupt someone with Stability. Bountiful Theft is an exception sort of only because the CC from Sleight of Hand and the Boon Steal from Bountiful Theft are separate. Bountiful just happens to go off first and prioritize Stability.

@Exitus.3297 said:

That said, its funny that it gives higher priority for resistance.
is quite the opposite.

It can't be because you can't interrupt someone with Stability. Bountiful Theft is an exception
sort of
only because the CC from Sleight of Hand and the Boon Steal from Bountiful Theft are separate. Bountiful just happens to go off first and prioritize Stability.

you can, i do it all the time on my warriorcertain skills/sigils activate before the hit lands, so on warrior with sigil of annulment and using bulls charge/dagger 3 whatever cc u'd like, you will strip stab first (sigil) then hit target

@"bluri.2653" said:ye but absorb is if you interrupt someone which u cant if they have stab LUL

LULsomeone didn't pay attentionbountiful theft: stealing grants you and all nearby allies vigor. You rip boons from your target and grant them to nearby allies.sleight of Hand: stealing also dazes the target. Reduces the recharge of Steal.

even says so on metabattle https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Thief_-_Marauder_S/D"interrupt foes with stability by landing steal , and gank targets in team fights."

@melandru.3876 said:

is quite the opposite.

It can't be because you can't interrupt someone with Stability. Bountiful Theft is an exception
sort of
only because the CC from Sleight of Hand and the Boon Steal from Bountiful Theft are separate. Bountiful just happens to go off first and prioritize Stability.

you can, i do it all the time on my warriorcertain skills/sigils activate before the hit lands, so on warrior with sigil of annulment and using bulls charge/dagger 3 whatever cc u'd like, you will strip stab first (sigil) then hit target

That is because the Sigil of Annulment is removing the Stability before the Interrupt even lands. The thing about the Sigil of Absorption is that the Boon removal only happens when the interrupt actually occurs. If the target has Stability, the Sigil of Absorption can't possibly proc because you can't actually land the interrupt. If you use the Sigil of Annulment which prioritizes Stability, then it will remove Stability + 1 other boon, then the interrupt from the ability itself (Bull's Charge, Shield Bash, etc.) will remove a 3rd boon with Absorption because by that point the Stability has been removed. That is also how Bountiful Theft works; it removes the Stability before the CC happens.

@Exitus.3297 said:

is quite the opposite.

sort of

That is because the Sigil of Annulment is removing the Stability before the Interrupt even lands. The thing about the Sigil of Absorption is that the Boon removal only happens when the interrupt actually occurs. If the target has Stability, the Sigil of Absorption can't possibly proc because you can't actually land the interrupt. If you use the Sigil of Annulment which prioritizes Stability, then it will remove Stability + 1 other boon, then the interrupt from the ability itself (Bull's Charge, Shield Bash, etc.) will remove a 3rd boon with Absorption because by that point the Stability has been removed. That is also how Bountiful Theft works; it removes the Stability before the CC happens.

but for thief (taking in account that target has no aegis) if you land steal, you will remove 3 boons (because bountiful theft has priority, and will 100% remove stability if it's up) then the daze triggers from sleight of hand (if taken) potentially causing an interrupt to steal 3 more boons. or am i misinformed?https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorptioni only use this sigil in wvw so no idea if a pvp variant exist (i assume it does since it's in the change log) and if it removes 1 or 3 boons

@melandru.3876 said:

@"bluri.2653" said:ye but absorb is if you interrupt someone which u cant if they have stab LUL

LULsomeone didn't pay attentionbountiful theft: stealing grants you and all nearby allies vigor. You rip boons from your target and grant them to nearby allies.sleight of Hand: stealing also dazes the target. Reduces the recharge of Steal.

even says so on metabattle
"interrupt foes with stability by landing steal , and gank targets in team fights."

I said sigil of absorbtion jesus christ ur clueless at the game

Revocation is last boon in first boon removed

@melandru.3876 said:

is quite the opposite.

sort of

but for thief (taking in account that target has no aegis) if you land steal, you will remove 3 boons (because bountiful theft has priority, and will 100% remove stability if it's up) then the daze triggers from sleight of hand (if taken) potentially causing an interrupt to steal 3 more boons. or am i misinformed?
i only use this sigil in wvw so no idea if a pvp variant exist (i assume it does since it's in the change log) and if it removes 1 or 3 boons

No you got it. In WvW and PvE it removes 3 Boons, but there is a PvP variant that removes 1 (which is the one I was referring to exactly).

EDIT: The WvW variant used to only remove 1. I am sure of this because I swapped it out for Draining for that exact purpose. Looks like they buffed it quite well.

@bluri.2653 said:

@bluri.2653 said:ye but absorb is if you interrupt someone which u cant if they have stab LUL

even says so on metabattle
"interrupt foes with stability by landing steal , and gank targets in team fights."

I said sigil of absorbtion jesus christ ur clueless at the game

Revocation is last boon in first boon removed

o really? might want to check the comment above yours.you most likely won't, so allow me to quote:

"but for thief (taking in account that target has no aegis) if you land steal, you will remove 3 boons (because bountiful theft has priority, and will 100% remove stability if it's up) then the daze triggers from sleight of hand (if taken) potentially causing an interrupt to steal 3 more boons. or am i misinformed?https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Absorptioni only use this sigil in wvw so no idea if a pvp variant exist (i assume it does since it's in the change log) and if it removes 1 or 3 boons"

if you noticed, i never said sigil of absorption, so no..stability is of no issue because the stability gets stripped BEFORE the daze lands (bountiful theft)

being a "big name" in the pvp community gives u zero rights to look down on others "clueless at the game" atleast i win my wins fair and share, and not at 3 in the morning by win-trading

Archived