Place to find lots of off meta builds?

Rico.6873

Yeah, I don't think any websites really exist for off-meta builds. If you are really wanting to see what others are playing, I'd recommend browsing streams of WvW roamers or WvW videos on Youtube. You'll find a lot of generic meta stuff but roaming allows for more experimentation because there is a huge range of not only builds you will encounter, but skill levels as well, so you can get away with some weird stuff. Otherwise, as the above posters mentioned, experiment and come up with your own builds. If you are looking for alternative builds for certain classes, ask around here.

@sephiroth.4217 said:just make them up using your knowledge of the class then tweak accordingly

There 8 classes with in total 16 professions where the base class can also be countedBeing creative while still trying to win for the maximum amount of fun is tricky

Its easier to see what others have tried and to adapt and tweak those buildsThen to create/test everything this game has to offer yourselfOne of the reasons I loved experimenting with tons of builds in League of legends(Would use a site that posted all the builds pro players used and adapt those to my needs and other build site)Not something GW2 would have off course because its not heavily pvp focused but its just something I feel is missing

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:Metabattle has a section for off meta builds, it's just hidden.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:Conquest_builds

Ah I was looking for that!Never knew how to find itThx! :)

@Rico.6873 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:just make them up using your knowledge of the class then tweak accordingly

There 8 classes with in total 16 professions where the base class can also be countedBeing creative while still trying to win for the maximum amount of fun is tricky

Its easier to see what others have tried and to adapt and tweak those buildsThen to create/test everything this game has to offer yourselfOne of the reasons I loved experimenting with tons of builds in League of legends(Would use a site that posted all the builds pro players used and adapt those to my needs and other build site)Not something GW2 would have off course because its not heavily pvp focused but its just something I feel is missing

@"Master Ketsu.4569" said:Metabattle has a section for off meta builds, it's just hidden.

Ive got 32 characters and have played since the start so over time it just becomes natural to know what each class can do and offer.. Trying to rush into it I could understand why a template to follow might be easier but they tend to revolve around whats easiest and most effective which is why my Tempest can be accused of hacking when I drop a Meteor shower that also applies immobilized with each hit forcing them to eat a whole shower.

Im confused by your count on professions though, do you not own HoT because there should be 27 specs to chose from, 9 classes x 3 specs including core...

Ive got 32 characters and have played since the start so over time it just becomes natural to know what each class can do and offer.. Trying to rush into it I could understand why a template to follow might be easier but they tend to revolve around whats easiest and most effective which is why my Tempest can be accused of hacking when I drop a Meteor shower that also applies immobilized with each hit forcing them to eat a whole shower.

Im confused by your count on professions though, do you not own HoT because there should be 27 specs to chose from, 9 classes x 3 specs including core...

Over time you will learn every class and ability, though how many players out there can do and have that knowledge?I own every living world 2/3/4 and every expansion, did not wanted to count every class there was possible so thats why I listed only a small amount of classesThought I also said there was lots of combinations possible for builds

The best way will always be..read the descriptions yourself and make your own spec.

And then ask yourself, how well does the spec bait dodges and cds. If it's a support like firebrand it's like ask yourself if it's able to make it so that your team can save a defensive cd and a dodge.

@"Rico.6873" said:Got these two for the meta buildshttp://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wikihttps://www.godsofpvp.net/But nothing to try Off Meta builds with

Any help would be appreciated

Actually man, I thought about making a thread for this. See the community pitch in and post what kind of new flavors they're mixing up nowadays. Some off meta builds end up being most certainly viable. The "meta listings" nowadays are not as well researched as they used to be back in the ESL days. Sometimes off meta deviations can be just as viable or possibly counter listed metas.

@Rico.6873 said:

If you play guardian I can tell about a bunch of none meta builds that work.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Rico.6873" said:Got these two for the meta builds
But nothing to try Off Meta builds with

Actually man, I thought about making a thread for this. See the community pitch in and post what kind of new flavors they're mixing up nowadays. Some off meta builds end up being most certainly viable. The "meta listings" nowadays are not as well researched as they used to be back in the ESL days. Sometimes off meta deviations can be just as viable or possibly counter listed metas.

You probably should make a thread, you would have more chance than anyone on these forums to have Anets help in having it stickied to the top of PvP forums..

Could really help those newer players who play for fun

You won't generally find off-meta builds on most of those websites, because everything that's great will get voted up, and everything else will languish and die.

You can look in the archives of Metabattle for older builds that were once meta, if you want to try them out: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Category:Archived_builds

Otherwise, "off-meta" simply means whatever build you want to play. My build is an off-meta protection holo, but I prefer it over the standard-issue prot holo.

@"Rico.6873" said:Got these two for the meta buildshttp://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wikihttps://www.godsofpvp.net/But nothing to try Off Meta builds with

Good day to you sir, I’d recommend going on Twitch and watching some of the streams that do PvP. Normally the stream bios have links for current and fun builds in their discription. This is something I need to do for mine but have been too lazy.

Making off-meta builds is my hobby, probly why I still play gw2 lol. Thing is what makes it fun for us build tinkerers is precicely that the builds aren't plastered everywhere, that you can still surprise people by playing something different. Also once I make something and test it out, I kind of mentally archive the build and go on to making something new. Then when someone in map or team asks if "anyone has a good build for XYZ..." I usually have something to offer and it's fun teaching my weird build to someone, then slowly see it catch on and fight against it in matches.

Basically the best place to ask/look imo is while playing pvp. Ask around, watch people play and ask about their build, peek at builds in dueling servers. Come up with a few builds of your own and test them. I do have kind of a methodology for making builds, which I'm sure is not unique either. I'll get an idea around a trait, or rune, or ability or whatever, and lookup everything that interacts with it, and test the various combos. Might stacking hybrid core necro with aristocracy runes? cool lets try it... Infinite initiative poison pistol thief? Suuuure. You will make a lot of trash builds, as I obviously still do lol, but when you find something weird that works surprisingly well, it's just super fun.

Archived