black screen (game doesn't crash)

After about a minute of gameplay the screen will disconnect from the computer. Alt tab does nothing, I can still hear game audio and friends confirmed I'm still connected and can move and use abilities. Alt F4 closes game but screen still black. I have to hold power button and hard restart. I have an i7 4770k, GTX 980. I've tried fullscreen and windowed borderless, problem prevails. My other PC (i7 8700k, GTX 1080ti) doesn't have this issue. I used to play GW2 on the first PC mentioned before PoF and had no issues.

You can get a black screen when playing if:

• Graphic card/hardware can't handle it (doesn't meet requirements or is dying)
  • Having a pending update of windows / outdated software > update windows
  • Outdated graphic driver / corrupted graphic driver file > update / repair graphic drivers (may need a full driver reinstall)
  • Power options (you know the battery saving power plans in configuration) > check the 'advanced' power options in control panel and make sure pci express - linked State Power Management is turned off
  • Power / battery ( is power supply enough to handle all processes, is the graphic card drawing too much power so it may shut itself down)
  • Overheating issues

@LittlePOOTIS.6208 : your issue sounds like overheating as you mention fans go wild.

This is entirely a GW2 issue. This has occurred on and off for me for about 2 years.First and foremost, I delete the GW2 cache folder and the local.dat file.Considering most video cards are factory overclocked, I check the overclock.For me, I take off 50 MHz and bump the voltage up for stability.In windows advanced power options, under PCI Express, I turn off the Link State Power Management.

All of them have helped but, when this hits it's usually persistent until game updates.

Its hard to say its a GW2 issue since lots (me incl) never experienced this. That some may experience this when playing GW2, cannot rule that out. But it is probably a combination of factors. You may want to contact technical support about it with a ticket as they probably know what to check/requirements and the likes.

If its a particular patch causing it you may also want to check if no game file went corrupt by security software and the likes.

I have been having the same or similar problem ever since the update that expanded unidentified gear drops and which temporarily caused the bug where you could get stuck on your mount.

Previously, I rarely disconnected and often others in my party would see that I had before I realized it; then I would be sent back to the character selection screen. Now the screen suddenly goes black and I have to hit the Windows key to manually close GW2 and then restart it. It may not appear to others that I have dc’ed until I close GW2 — I hadn’t thought to ask. I do still hear the audio.

My computer is not audibly running any different when this happens. I am making sure everything on my system is up to date, etc. and restarted the router. I’ll see if that’s fixed the problem tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

@Hirdy.7836 said:@VDAC.2137 my screen isn't actually going black, it stops getting a signal to the PC until I unplug and and plug back in. I'm not sure about your issue sorry.

Have you gotten yours resolved? It turns out in my case I was partially disconnecting — people could no longer hear me on Teamspeak either for I don’t know how long, even though I continued to hear them without interruption.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:@VDAC.2137 : That one sounds like a connection issue. Check https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863018-Common-Error-Codes. If you can't find it yourself, contact support so they can help you. If its an external issue you may need to contact your ISP, but they (support) will tell you where the problem arises :)

Thank you for the advice! It does seem to have been a connection issue after all and is happening much less now. Since it coincided with an update I had thought it a bug. I checked connections, firewalls, etc. but could not find any problem but my issue has resolved.

• 1 year later...