[Sugestion] Create weakly quest for BL key from the side story events

Now people can farm one BL key a week from the 10th level story completion, so why not add a weakly quest which shares the cooldown with the story reward and since people do less and less the side story events add them in a rotation so each week they change to lets say Kill x number of bloodstone beasts , anomalies, Awakened invasions and do a jumping puzzle or world boss, dungeon, activity like Keg Brawl and so fourth. Basically the content that is not done that much.

I like the idea, but with provisos:

First, I'll note they went way overboard when they changed key-farming to once per week. Even once a day would have been acceptable, but once a week was a clear signal that they don't like it. So, any idea has to take this into account.

Second, if they do it, it shouldn't be for level 1-10 content. It should be for something like "complete 10 events in" any of the tier-two zones. Or, something akin to that.

Third, it has to be limited to something close to the once a week that story missions are limited to.

Finally, it should not give keys for the same things that are done on the way to earning current keys. Clearing events on the way to the missions shouldn't count. Nothing that's part of that day's dailies should count. Tiers 1, 3, 5, and 6 should not count, because that's where you do the level 1-10, 21-30, and 41-60 story missions, which grant keys.

If most of those are applied, it wouldn't seriously impact sales, but would breathe new life into those zones.

Which Side Stories have tiers, or any Story for that matter? And what do open world events have to do with the instanced Personal Story?If tiers are referring to maps, they have more than one level (and no tiers); and the OP's suggestion didn't include events save for Side Story events.

I think the suggestion is ok, but highly doubt ArenaNet would implement it.

Good luck.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:imo, getting free keys by repeatedly doing the level 10 story is not a supported feature. It’s tolerated, but they want people to buy keys so they can earn money. They’re not going to make level 10 free keys more interesting so that more people do them.

How about this:Remove the keys from the story entirelyPut them all in a weekly timer like it works now (akin to daily)Let players freely do these on any of their characters weekly to earn all the keys you can already get by making and deleting altsAlternatively if weekly is too many free keys, make it the grand return of the monthlyNo AP grinding but ~5 free keys every month that you can earn in PvE, PvP, and WvW

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Adding additional rewards to content that isn't currently populated is a great idea, but I don't think ANET has an burning desire to make BL keys more easily obtainable in game, given the goal is for people to buy them, and thereby generate revenue for the company.

I think OP's idea was to keep the key at once a week, but add ways to get it to bolster participation in underplayed content. So you could do either L10 story or Serpent's Ire, for example, but would still only get one key even if you did both . . .

Though it is kind of unclear and I could be wrong . . .

I always rush through lvl 10,40 and 60 story every monday with a lvl 80 tempest for 3 keys, have extra asc. set of gear and 500+ tomes in the bank just for that purpose. While doing story I always watch a documentary on another monitor or listen to podcasts which makes time fly by.Like someone said though, making keys more available makes no sense from a business perspective.

@Solaris.2489 said:I always rush through lvl 10,40 and 60 story every monday with a lvl 80 tempest for 3 keys, have extra asc. set of gear and 500+ tomes in the bank just for that purpose. While doing story I always watch a documentary on another monitor or listen to podcasts which makes time fly by.Like someone said though, making keys more available makes no sense from a business perspective.

And as engaging as you make your keyrunning experience sound, perhaps it would be even more engaging if it was more varied . . ?

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:imo, getting free keys by repeatedly doing the level 10 story is not a supported feature. It’s tolerated, but they want people to buy keys so they can earn money. They’re not going to make level 10 free keys more interesting so that more people do them.

How about this:Remove the keys from the story entirelyPut them all in a weekly timer like it works now (akin to daily)Let players freely do these on any of their characters weekly to earn all the keys you can already get by making and deleting altsAlternatively if weekly is too many free keys, make it the grand return of the monthlyNo AP grinding but ~5 free keys every month that you can earn in PvE, PvP, and WvW

Not everyone can be bothered to do lvl10 story each week this will make more people get the keys hence less profit for anet.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Solaris.2489 said:I always rush through lvl 10,40 and 60 story every monday with a lvl 80 tempest for 3 keys, have extra asc. set of gear and 500+ tomes in the bank just for that purpose. While doing story I always watch a documentary on another monitor or listen to podcasts which makes time fly by.Like someone said though, making keys more available makes no sense from a business perspective.

And as engaging as you make your keyrunning experience sound, perhaps it would be even more engaging if it was more varied . . ?

The point is anet dont want it to be engaing so less people do it.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Adding additional rewards to content that isn't currently populated is a great idea, but I don't think ANET has an burning desire to make BL keys more easily obtainable in game, given the goal is for people to buy them, and thereby generate revenue for the company.

I think OP's idea was to keep the key at once a week, but add ways to get it to bolster participation in underplayed content. So you could do either L10 story or Serpent's Ire, for example, but would still only get one key even if you did both . . .

No I understood what he meant, but the implication (maybe I'm wrong here) is that doing the personal story each week is either too hard, too boring, or whatever, so they were proposing an additional path to getting that weekly key. My opinion was that ANET would have no desire to make getting that key easier. For every player who feels the weekly personal grind is too hard/boring/whatever and doesn't participate, that's one less free key given out.

There is one way in which anet could accept giving out weekly keys as alternative to the level 10 key: optional subscriptions.

If an optional subscription gave a character the appropriate number of gems monthly, plus a free key every week (and which replaces the over you earn at the story), then that be in anet's interest, I think.

Of course, there's a vocal segment of the forums who are against subscriptions in any form and would use that to decry "proof of game dying", so it may not come to pass.

@Skotlex.7580 said:If an optional subscription gave a character the appropriate number of gems monthly, plus a free key every week (and which replaces the over you earn at the story), then that be in anet's interest, I think.Why not simply choose to purchase the appropriate number of gems monthly rather than tie it to a subscription?

@Gop.8713 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:Adding additional rewards to content that isn't currently populated is a great idea, but I don't think ANET has an burning desire to make BL keys more easily obtainable in game, given the goal is for people to buy them, and thereby generate revenue for the company.

Though it is kind of unclear and I could be wrong . . .Exactly that it doesn't even have to be BL key it has to have something with great perceived value, BL key just fits as it cost around 40+ gold and the regular jackpot are BL weapon skins which are around 10 to 20 gold and most of the time you get worthless items. The reward could be any of the materials mystic coins ,clovers, amalgamated gemstones, ascended crafting items but the problem with those is that their tp value will go down( although some of them i believe got way too expensive over time).And isn't it better to give some incentive to people to do content together instead of playing single player mission over and over.Also if you have better alternative for the reward let me know.And for the those that spam for that "subscription" , Arenanet made a promise, a core value for the game as it launched all these years ago that the game will not have a sub and if they brake another one it will be the last drop for many people. The way i see it they could have made the VIP sections so called "subscription" but they missed the buss on that one, cause people have expectations about the VIP pass.

@Vancho.8750 said:And isn't it better to give some incentive to people to do content together instead of playing single player mission over and over.

But that wasn't part of the original design - the players picked up on this, and at first you could do this as many times per day as you wanted, until ANET capped it at once per weekly reset.

And anyone who does this regularly is doing so with tomes of knowledge - heck it takes me about 15 minutes to finish the LV 10 story arc, and I spend longer than that standing around in the Mistlock Sanctuary waiting to start T4 dailies.

Nothing broken here, therefore no need to fix it.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:And isn't it better to give some incentive to people to do content together instead of playing single player mission over and over.

But that wasn't part of the original design - the players picked up on this, and at first you could do this as many times per day as you wanted, until ANET capped it at once per weekly reset.

And anyone who does this regularly is doing so with tomes of knowledge - heck it takes me about 15 minutes to finish the LV 10 story arc, and I spend longer than that standing around in the Mistlock Sanctuary waiting to start T4 dailies.

Nothing broken here, therefore no need to fix it.The old content participation is broken a lot of living world maps are empty, anomaly event constantly fails, activities are ghost town.I'm more interested in making people more excited about old content, that is fun but it doesn't have this gold per minute attached to it. Also forget about the Key its basically the easiest option that it popped in my mind that it can be done weakly.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Skotlex.7580 said:If an optional subscription gave a character the appropriate number of gems monthly, plus a free key every week (and which replaces the over you earn at the story), then that be in anet's interest, I think.Why not simply choose to purchase the appropriate number of gems monthly rather than tie it to a subscription?

Because it's automatic, you set it up and forget about. An optional subscription is less about wanting the gems, and more about feeling like one is supporting the development of the game. Also, such subscriptions provide an income baseline separate from the sales in the gem shop, and probably would help for income projections for the future, but I am not too certain of such a benefit.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

Because it's automatic, you set it up and forget about. An optional subscription is less about wanting the gems, and more about feeling like one is supporting the development of the game. Also, such subscriptions provide an income baseline separate from the sales in the gem shop, and probably would help for income projections for the future, but I am not too certain of such a benefit.

If the purpose of such subscription was purely the sense of fulfillment from supporting the game, then there is no need for free keys. Or any other discounts/advantages. After all, the game would be even more supported if you paid for your keys on top of said auto payment.

@Linken.6345 said:

Not everyone can be bothered to do lvl10 story each week this will make more people get the keys hence less profit for anet.

The people who control the market are the min/max types and you know they're already getting ~3-5 keys every week for free.

My suggestion to make it a monthly thing opens it to a wider audience while actually stemming the flow of free keys from people who certainly make time to get their weekly keys at present.

If it became a monthly for example that's 2-3 weeks of free keys removed from the ecosystem in exchange for a more engaging and inclusive system for everyone.

In short, more people end up with free keys but the number of free keys in the wild is reduced. It actually incentivizes people to buy more keys and could prove a boon/workaround for countries in the EU who are banning key sales altogether.

I suggest 5 a month as a compromise but realistically the most dedicated people tend to squeeze out 3 a week.

I tend to agree with others that if keys are easier to obtain, it likely means less revenue for Anet.I tried key farming for a few weeks, and found it quite boring and not worth the time (the cost of buying a key with money is pretty trivial). So probably a small percentage of the player base actually key farms every week.However, if keys were now available through content that was varied/interesting, you'd get a lot more people getting keys. I tend to do the dailies every day, partly because the content does change, partly because it does not take very long.It is probably impossible to know exactly how this would affect sales. Some people may take these extra keys as keys and still buy the normal amount, but probably some number of people who would say they got enough keys via this method they won't buy any..

@Solvar.7953 said:I tend to agree with others that if keys are easier to obtain, it likely means less revenue for Anet.I tried key farming for a few weeks, and found it quite boring and not worth the time (the cost of buying a key with money is pretty trivial). So probably a small percentage of the player base actually key farms every week.However, if keys were now available through content that was varied/interesting, you'd get a lot more people getting keys. I tend to do the dailies every day, partly because the content does change, partly because it does not take very long.It is probably impossible to know exactly how this would affect sales. Some people may take these extra keys as keys and still buy the normal amount, but probably some number of people who would say they got enough keys via this method they won't buy any..

Ideally the monthly would return and span the whole games gambit of PvE, WvW, and PvP.

Give PvE 3 keys, PvP and WvW 1 each. Min/maxers will get 5. Most people will be hard pressed to get 3. Make sure it's something everyone can do but not something you can readily cheese and we're good to go.

5 free a month to the larger base VS ~12 a month the diehard grinders manage now.

Don't want to stress it? Want more? You just buy them like now. In this iteration of the monthly it wouldn't give AP so there's no particular goal to accomplish these things except to get keys which you can easy mode by just buying them.

You can ignore the monthly entirely (throw in an option to disable it from the world guide) but it's there for the players as an option. As I said some players in Europe can't buy keys anymore. Grinding them from the story isn't exactly intuitive or engaging.

Moving the free keys out of the story gives an excuse to bring back the monthly and not make it a niche thing. I think it would be good for the game and get blood circulated to various content that might otherwise be passed over.

For example, maybe a Vabbian world event monthly that counts to free BLC keys. Suddenly there's tons of people trying to do the meta there! And suddenly people realize you can get a named sunspear weapon box for elite collections! Gasp!

Naturally these objectives would rotate and change at the end of the month as it did in the past but you get the general idea. Anet have already said they're looking at ways to revitalize content. This is just one idea. The framework is already there.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

No I understood what he meant, but the implication (maybe I'm wrong here) is that doing the personal story each week is either too hard, too boring, or whatever, so they were proposing an additional path to getting that weekly key. My opinion was that ANET would have no desire to make getting that key easier. For every player who feels the weekly personal grind is too hard/boring/whatever and doesn't participate, that's one less free key given out.

I don't think they can make getting the weekly key too much easier than it already is tbh. It's basically free as it is . . .

I read OP's suggestion as a method to increase participation in underplayed content without introducing any additional rewards over what is already available . . .

Archived