How do you handle the periodic boredom

Terc.5736

Fairly simple for me. I only log into GW2 (or any game) if I feel like playing it. The entire purpose of a game is to be fun, so if I'm not enjoying it I'm not going to force myself to play it.

I play very slowly compared to a lot of people and I have 11 characters so I still have a lot of stuff left to do, but part of that playing slowly is only playing for relatively short periods of time. Some days I won't log in at all, some days I'll only play for an hour or so, and on rare occasions when it's a quiet day I might play for 4 or 5 hours in total. I can't see myself ever running out of content I want to do unless the game stops being developed, but I'm also not going to force myself to play it just because it's there, I'll just do what I feel like playing, when I feel like it.

GW2efficiency.com. Go data mine the achievements section to see what one are nearly done, to find things you didn't know about, etc.

Roll a new toon and level up the hard way.

Pop your mentor tag in a starting map and actually mentor some new people.

Low-level fractal pugs. Create one and call it a 'fun run' in LFG. I've picked up several new guildies this way, and one of them has become one of my best friends.

Dungeon pugs. If you can't find one, create one and call it a 'fun run' in LFG.

Do something else?

There's almost nothing in life that can hold someone's interest year in and year out. It's not a job, so people are free to come & go as they please (and this game in particular makes that much, much easier). (If you do, convert some gold to gems, so you can unlock whatever Living World episodes that might not be free).

Alternatively, including @"Kal Spiro.9745"'s recommendations...

• Start a new character
  • Try different professions or styles of play
  • Look at other games
  • It's Spring in the Norther Hemisphere... could there be things to do ...outside? (Scary, I know.)
  • Review your achievements at gw2 efficiency and focus on completing some
  • Review your wardrobe at the analyzer and complete collections.
  • Try Iron Man = leveling to 80, with various restrictions, e.g. reroll if dead for any reason, equip with drops (not TP or vendors), complete all dungeon paths, ...
  • Try a different game mode: if you're PvE, try PvP

@Danikat.8537 said:Fairly simple for me. I only log into GW2 (or any game) if I feel like playing it. The entire purpose of a game is to be fun, so if I'm not enjoying it I'm not going to force myself to play it.

I play very slowly compared to a lot of people and I have 11 characters so I still have a lot of stuff left to do, but part of that playing slowly is only playing for relatively short periods of time. Some days I won't log in at all, some days I'll only play for an hour or so, and on rare occasions when it's a quiet day I might play for 4 or 5 hours in total. I can't see myself ever running out of content I want to do unless the game stops being developed, but I'm also not going to force myself to play it just because it's there, I'll just do what I feel like playing, when I feel like it.

I am very much the same. Crawl through content. Lots of characters. Get frustrated or bored or stuck? Switch to a different activity in GW2.

Then I'll fire up Civilization when I want to do something different for a while. I'm a one-game-at-a-time kinda guy, so one alternative works for me.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:I play another game.

Which? (If you don't mind sharing it.)

I was playing ESO all last year before I realized I was only logging in to play the dailies and it was a chore to do this for two games. The sparse DLC content and micro expansions didn’t help either.

Lately I’ve mainly played console games, such as RDR2 and BotW, recently in-between updates.

There are still grindy things I could do in GW2 except I don’t have a willingness to do those kind of things anymore. I basically just come on for the dailies and log off between living story releases.

@Terc.5736 said:What is your secret to get out of the periodic boredom the game can bring after years of playing?

Obviously, you do not have to play if you are bored. I typically try to make new builds. Every once in a while, I will roll a new character. I do have 23 now. I would visit one of the core (not cursed shore) maps and just do random events. This is typically boring, but man when it clicks, it could be the most fun I had in GW2 in weeks.

I sPvP a lot, which is more engaging, but also much more intense and typically causes much faster burnout.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Monster Hunter World :)

I would be playing some Path of Exile if the patcher for that wasn't so ... UGH

Know the feeling, though at least having a fast connection helps in my case. I'd also advise not updating through Steam if you can avoid it, because the patches are always larger there.

Aside from PoE, I play ESO from time to time, and have a few other games I meant to complete at some point. D:OS2 is the one I'm currently partway through.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Play a different game for a while. Watch for updates.Start a new characterCommit to a new achievement

Usually start playing a new game until an update happens that draws me back in

Pretty much my response too.That's one of the things I love about Gw2 can play whenever I want to without being punished for taking breaks ^^

What most of the above posts said, play another game and check periodically to see if any of the GW2 updates interest you. The absence of gear grind and cap increases makes this easier here than other mmos.

I'm getting my old-school crpg fix from Kingmaker: Pathfinder these days and having a blast with it.

@Ben K.6238 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Monster Hunter World :)

I would be playing some Path of Exile if the patcher for that wasn't so ... UGH

Know the feeling, though at least having a fast connection helps in my case. I'd also advise not updating through Steam if you can avoid it, because the patches are always larger there.

Aside from PoE, I play ESO from time to time, and have a few other games I meant to complete at some point. D:OS2 is the one I'm currently partway through.

My main gripe with the patcher is that it spends 30 minutes "checking resources". This feels especially horrible for anyone used to GW2's patcher which basically starts doing its thing as soon as it starts.

@"Terc.5736" said:What is your secret to get out of the periodic boredom the game can bring after years of playing?

Never farm anything, never do anything "because I must", never waste time on something what doesn't bring you thrill and enjoyment. By following those rules you are left with things which are fun to do. And when you're out of those things, it's time to move ahead. No reason to just linger around wasting your time for nothing, trying to find some reason to keep playing, just for the sake of it.

@Terc.5736 said:What is your secret to get out of the periodic boredom the game can bring after years of playing?

If I'm not having fun playing the game then I choose not to play it. However I don't often have that issue because there is still much available to do, coming from a player that has been active in this game since launch. I participate in all game modes, but focus on PvE the most. I occasionally do collections and achievements that I have not yet completed that are out of the way.

I think the best method I have in not getting bored is not rushing content as soon as it releases. When the last Living Story came out I spent about a week doing exploration on the new map while also repaying the whole GW2 storyline with my partner. Even now there are plenty of things on the new map I haven't competed yet.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Terc.5736" said:What is your secret to get out of the periodic boredom the game can bring after years of playing?

Never farm anything, never do anything "because I must", never waste time on something what doesn't bring you thrill and enjoyment. By following those rules you are left with things which are fun to do. And when you're out of those things, it's time to move ahead. No reason to just linger around wasting your time for nothing, trying to find some reason to keep playing, just for the sake of it.

KonMari gaming works for me, too. If it's not sparking joy for you, move on.

It's not difficult to find good games that will distract you from GW2. I can help you with these great titles. Some of them by the way require emulators: Dragon Age series, Nier: Automata, Hearthstone, Metal Gear Solid games, The Witcher, BoTW or any other Zelda game, World of Warcraft, Resident Evil, Mass Effect trilogy, Tomb Raider, Devil may Cry, Starcraft2 and Warcraft 3, Pokémon games, Hitman, Bravely Default... The possibilities are limitless!!

Just give them a try and you will see how wonderful is gaming outside GW2 and if you like japanese animes, that's a another whole different world!

Archived