Spear is kitten

Scoobaniec.9561

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:As in title. Lol at that pathetic damage. Why it hasnt been reworked yet when they added a trident that also deals next to 0 dmg outside of Mallyx in condi builds?

What you're looking at is the rework... Spear used to be pretty busted because you could make spear 2 your auto attack and turn on impossible odds... Then they made they aa ranged and gave s2 a cooldown.

Trident is actually pretty good tho, as much as I hate to admit it because the design is redundant/boring (that's just my opinion). But it is potent, especially from Glint.

@narcx.3570 said:

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:As in title. Lol at that pathetic damage. Why it hasnt been reworked yet when they added a trident that also deals next to 0 dmg outside of Mallyx in condi builds?

What you're looking at
is
the rework... Spear used to be pretty busted because you could make spear 2 your auto attack and turn on impossible odds... Then they made they aa ranged and gave s2 a cooldown.

Trident is actually pretty good tho, as much as I hate to admit it because the design is redundant/boring (that's just my opinion). But it is potent, especially from Glint.

But they removed quickness from IO so why the cd is still there really? Spear literally has no damage rn (not to mention it was designed as hybrid wep) and the payoff for shorter ranged autos to trident are next to 0. I need stick to condi 24/7 i guess

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

What you're looking at
is
the rework... Spear used to be pretty busted because you could make spear 2 your auto attack and turn on impossible odds... Then they made they aa ranged and gave s2 a cooldown.

But they removed quickness from IO so why the cd is still there really? Spear literally has no damage rn (not to mention it was designed as hybrid wep) and the payoff for shorter ranged autos to trident are next to 0. I need stick to condi 24/7 i guess

Yeah, sadly no more camping spear and obliterating anyone in seconds (although that was admittedly broken and toxic gameplay), you actually have to do real'ish underwater rotations now. Just do the standard Shiro/Mallyx Condi Ren dps rotation with spear in place of m/a and trident in place of shortbow if yer condi, and something similar with spear/shiro, trident/glint if you're power, the dps is actually pretty up there as far as underwater content goes.

Taking in consideration the state in which Revenant arrived to underwater combat at the HoT release the spear was probably the latest weapon to be designed, and their lacks were over-compensated with vicious damage enhanced due Impossible Odds. But with IO neutered to the ground (from being one of the best skills in the game to just become annoying white noise hammering your ears for no reason that you have to endure to move faster) and the release of the Trident (our third weapon in a row with no blocks or mobility skills. Is, a pure PvE weapon with poor damage for a game which barely has any underwater content the spear is now in a very bad place (which is funny due along with the bows spears were de dominant (grounded) war weapons for centuries until the rise of the gun powder).

Just avoid underwater content (tip: is really easy).

@narcx.3570 said:

What you're looking at
is

Yeah, sadly no more camping spear and obliterating anyone in seconds (although that was admittedly broken and toxic gameplay), you actually have to do real'ish underwater rotations now. Just do the standard Shiro/Mallyx Condi Ren dps rotation with spear in place of m/a and trident in place of shortbow if yer condi, and something similar with spear/shiro, trident/glint if you're power, the dps is actually pretty up there as far as underwater content goes.

Since when mobs started complain about desing? Worth to note - i play core rev. It was all fine n stuff tilll i swapped back to power and noticed how pathetic spear dmg is.

@Buran.3796 said:

Taking in consideration the state in which Revenant arrived to underwater combat at the HoT release the spear was probably the latest weapon to be designed, and their lacks were over-compensated with vicious damage enhanced due Impossible Odds. But with IO neutered to the ground (from being one of the best skills in the game to just become annoying white noise hammering your ears for no reason that you have to endure to move faster) and the release of the Trident (our third weapon in a row with no blocks or mobility skills. Is, a pure PvE weapon with poor damage for a game which barely has any underwater content the spear is now in a very bad place (which is funny due along with the bows spears were de dominant (grounded) war weapons for centuries until the rise of the gun powder).

Just avoid underwater content (tip: is really easy).

Cant avoid underwater contest if you want map completion. Apart from that i always liked underwater combat tbh but no reason to go there. Even less so with rev

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

What you're looking at
is

Since when mobs started complain about desing? Worth to note - i play core rev. It was all fine n stuff tilll i swapped back to power and noticed how pathetic spear dmg is.

I meant in WvW... If somebody even touched the water you could jump in, phase traverse/io/spear 2 and they'd be dead in literally 2-3 seconds.

And while mobs don't complain about design... Players/dev's do--and rev's been steadily going away from the "Turn on a channel skill and auto attack/afk." Which--while a subjective opinion obviously--is a good thing, cuz like, how is that fun?

@narcx.3570 said:

What you're looking at
is

I meant in WvW... If somebody even touched the water you could jump in, phase traverse/io/spear 2 and they'd be dead in literally 2-3 seconds.

And while mobs don't complain about design... Players/dev's do--and rev's been steadily going away from the "Turn on a channel skill and auto attack/afk." Which--while a subjective opinion obviously--is a good thing, cuz like, how is that fun?

Sure, but nothing else in spear deals damage apart from 2. For power build that is. And thats something they should have fixed before nerfing it for no reason. So now its basically a weapon without damage. It was made as hybrid but with the addition of trident it should have been reworked into full power.

Also how often underwater fights happen in wvw? Well.. not often. I will facepalm if the reason for this nerf was wvw underwater combat while ranger still possess most broken downstate there from release to this day tbh

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

What you're looking at
is

Sure, but nothing else in spear deals damage apart from 2. For power build that is. And thats something they should have fixed before nerfing it for no reason. So now its basically a weapon without damage. It was made as hybrid but with the addition of trident it should have been reworked into full power.

Also how often underwater fights happen in wvw? Well.. not often. I will facepalm if the reason for this nerf was wvw underwater combat while ranger still possess most broken downstate there from release to this day tbh

I don't think WvW was the intention, they nerfed(changed) it via then whole Underwater Combat QoL update. And for the whatever, spear 5 does a ton of damage, and spear 3 is an increase over AA'ing. This is why you pair spear with your more energy heavy legend, and trident with the other one. It works out a lot like the legend synergy between M/A and SB.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

Don't even bother... Ranger will kill you underwater... while being in downed state and being rezzed by the pet, days before you kill them (because that's fun).

The thing is, if ANet would have to disable things that aren't fun, stealth would been erased from WvW/PvP ages ago.

Annoying thing about the whole underwater overhaul is while we went from 1 weapon to 2, we went from having a melee cleaving auto attack and a single target ranged auto attack to only having 2 single target ranged auto attacks. This makes the 2 weapons feel extremely redundant towards each other while leaving us with very poor aoe damage underwater which sucks for aquatic fractal and just fighting lots of mobs in general. Swap spear skill 2 with skill 1, adjust damage of each skill for balance and things are instantly much better.

@narcx.3570 said:

What you're looking at
is

I don't think WvW was the intention, they nerfed(changed) it via then whole Underwater Combat QoL update. And for the whatever, spear 5 does a ton of damage, and spear 3 is an increase over AA'ing. This is why you pair spear with your more energy heavy legend, and trident with the other one. It works out a lot like the legend synergy between M/A and SB.

What? Spear 5 damage is equal to 2 autos. The rift itself has huge delay, if the target is moving he will get out before the rift even open. Spear 3 is out of questions, the cast timeis too high which result in dps loss. Not to mention it cost energy so we are basically down to auto with IO anyway. Trident is basically the only "viable" choice here, its just not worth using spear atm

@ArthurDent.9538 said:Annoying thing about the whole underwater overhaul is while we went from 1 weapon to 2, we went from having a melee cleaving auto attack and a single target ranged auto attack to only having 2 single target ranged auto attacks. This makes the 2 weapons feel extremely redundant towards each other while leaving us with very poor aoe damage underwater which sucks for aquatic fractal and just fighting lots of mobs in general. Swap spear skill 2 with skill 1, adjust damage of each skill for balance and things are instantly much better.

That alone would definitely help. Theres no reason to have 2 ranged weps underwater rn.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

What you're looking at
is

What? Spear 5 damage is equal to 2 autos. The rift itself has huge delay, if the target is moving he will get out before the rift even open. Spear 3 is out of questions, the cast timeis too high which result in dps loss. Not to mention it cost energy so we are basically down to auto with IO anyway. Trident is basically the only "viable" choice here, its just not worth using spear atm

lolwut? That damage scaling on spear 5 and 3 is crazy high... If it's only doing the damage of "2 autos" for you, it might be cuz you're wearing full minstrels and don't have any modifying traits or something?

@narcx.3570 said:

What you're looking at
is

lolwut? That damage scaling on spear 5 and 3 is crazy high... If it's only doing the damage of "2 autos" for you, it might be cuz you're wearing full minstrels and don't have any modifying traits or something?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spear_of_Anguishhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rift_Containment - Damage (5x): 485 (1.32)?

What crazy high scaling are you talking about? My spear 1 has about 580on the tooltip and 5 has 1100 (around it) at 2,5k power.

Just checked in wvw underwater at 2,7k power792 for auto, 1308 for spear 5. 1980 for frigid but as ive said the energy cost+cast time doesnt pay off

When using utilities combined with an Ascended stats Spear and a Trident, I don't see why you should have any issues with the damage output you are capable of. If you're using like Masterworks quality underwater weapons, then I would understand. If you neglect to use a proper breather with the same Runes as your land gear, I would perhaps understand. But I have never felt that we are weak under water. On the contrary, I feel as if we're still one of the strongest classes when it comes to underwater combat. Which is also why I love when people hop into the water at Bay in the WvW Borderlands, so I can get my piranha RP going and rip them to shreds.

Archived