Skill lags now even while doing PPT

Malfrador.3615

-> Title.

Since the last patch, skill lags got a lot worse. We now even had lags that made the game unplayable while we were doing PPT in the red garri. Delays of up to 10 seconds while casting any skills. EU T3, Kodash, Red Map, 19.00 UTC

I do not know what you did Anet, but you certainly broke something on the server side and WvW is pretty much unplayable in prime time right now as soon as you have more than 50 people on both teams or a third party is involved. It's really horrible right now and needs to be fixed. As there were no major skill mechanic changes, the problems seems to be the server code itself and not a specific skill.

Strange thing is... I havent seen real noticable skill lag for ages. I cant even remember the last time. Mounts certainly didnt change anything for me. Zerging or solo roaming, 1-2+ hours every day in EU T1/T2 primetime. Almost exlusivly borderhopping, rarely EB.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Strange thing is... I havent seen real noticable skill lag for ages. I cant even remember the last time. Mounts certainly didnt change anything for me. Zerging or solo roaming, 1-2+ hours every day in EU T1/T2 primetime. Almost exlusivly borderhopping, rarely EB.

I play EU hours on US servers so I never see the game at its busiest. Still, going back to before HoT, I used to get huge skill lag fairly often and always, without fail, in three-way in SMC. Since then it's become less and less frequent, which may be down to the ever-decreasing numbers of people playing the mode.

It might be quieter in general, but at weekends and in matches where we play someone with a strong EU presence there are still some large-scale three-ways in SMC and occasionally elsewhere. I haven't experienced any skill lockdowns in one of those for as far back as I can remember. Definitely never in the last six months, quite probably not in over a year. The addition of mounts (which I deplore for other reasons) has made absolutely no difference to skill lag or performance for me.

In fact, for me WvW is more playable, in a technical sense, than ever before. Being able to move and cast freely (as a staff Ele) inside SMC Lord room with two zergs fighting and a third stacking in a corridor has increased my survivability tenfold, not to mention my usefulness. This would literally never have happened in the same situation between 2012 and 2016.

I have no idea why that should be. I'm playing on the same PC with the same settings on the same ISP. If anything's changed I assume it's at ANet's end. Maybe it's the Amazon hosting. Perhaps that simply has bettter connectivity with my ISP than the old servers did. Clearly there are winners and losers in the new set up but how many people are worse off and how many better?

Archived