Help vs Warriors

alain.1659

Hello all. As the title suggests, I need help in wvw, especially vs warriors. I havent been playing my rev for a while and it was my favourite toon back in the day. So far, I have been doing fine in wvw roaming, duels etc. But whenever I came against a warrior, I get my tushie kicked. I know that rev is weak vs conditions if not managed well, but I am talking about pure bash-your-head style power warrior. I am using marauder set, fireworks runes, zerker-soldier mix trinkets.

Do you have any build suggestions, tips, tricks or prayers that I can recite?

Most Rev's who are losing fights like this are doing so because they're trying to stand face to face with the War trading melee attacks... Just kite them around using sw2/3/4/Chaotic Release/Elemental Blast/Burst of Strength/Shiro Facet of Nature until you can finish them off. Always have a stunbreak (Gaze/Riposte or Legend Swap) or Facet of Light on ready incase you mess up and get stunned. Dodge GS3. Etc...

It should be a pretty one-sided fight and super frustrating for the War/SBk.

I would also say that Firework runes aren't really that well optimized for Heralds, but they're certainly not the reason why you're losing. You should try out Durability/Surging/Pack/Scholars/Leadership/Strength or something tho. Unless you really, really, really think you need the Vigor (you don't.)

I assume you're going Sword+Sword/Staff with Invo/Devastation/Herald. Your build looks fine - there are a few variants out there that use Durability or Leadership runes (which imo makes more sense than fireworks since you dont need the 25% movement speed from Fireworks and you have plenty of might and fury), and a few differences in trinkets, but at the end of the day how you play probably matters more.

As for warriors, their weaknesses are: telegraphed skills and easily kited. Therefore:

• Try to keep a distance from them, poke them from a distance with sword 2, Burst of Strength and Elemental Blast.
  • Use sword 4 carefully. Since the cast time is now 1s, the warrior can easily interrupt it with Bull's Charge or Shield 4 or other CC's. Bait a dodge first before using it if possible.
  • Use sword 3 very carefully. They land you right by the warrior, and a warrior will CC you exactly the moment you come out of the evade frame. I almost always either dodge away or riposting shadow away from them after sword 3. Also because of that I just usually use sword 3 for mainly evading.
  • Know when to stow weapon - when EP or shield stance is up, or when Full Counter is up.
  • Watch out for Rampage and kite when they enter it - riposting shadow, evade, blind, block, dodge.
  • Try to keep a stunbreak available (or Infuse Light) and be more careful when you don't have 1. It can just take 1 good CC from the warrior to kill you.
  • Another tip is if they use shield 4, gs5, dagger F1 or dagger 2, you can blind them (so their hit misses) and burst them in the animation - those skills don't have evade frames.

I'll add more as I remember but that's it for now. Generally Power Rev has the upper hand against warriors since you can burst fast enough (so their regen can't keep up with the burst), don't have to stay in melee range to deal damage, and can kite against melee specs reasonably well.

Thank you guys for your help. Firework runes will be changed. And you are right I am not kiting properly, just evading and trying to time a burst constantly. I shall try to play more careful vs warriors. Gonna try your advices :)

If you have any more, please share them. Rev is one of the easiest to play, and hardest to master in my opinion.

@alain.1659 said:Thank you guys for your help. Firework runes will be changed. And you are right I am not kiting properly, just evading and trying to time a burst constantly. I shall try to play more careful vs warriors. Gonna try your advices :)

If you have any more, please share them. Rev is one of the easiest to play, and hardest to master in my opinion.

Rev definitely has good damage, but against half decent people it takes more than just bursting to play well - and some of those things are chaining evade frames, knowing when to burst, and kiting - and for that reason I wouldn't necessarily say rev's easy to pick up.

For WvW, I'd say look up Nici and Tubby Two Ton for more recent Rev WvW gameplay, and maybe Goblin King and Aka Cryptic for a bit older footage - and watch how they kite, how they initiate fights, how they utilize defensive skills, and how they burst.

It's such a shame that Tubby stopped playing gw2 - back when he streamed gw2 he usually explained what he did while he was fighting and it was really helpful. Some of his old videos still had commentary though - plus the guy is funny af,

I cage at people saying that rev has high dmg and dmg split here is for "balance" reasons yet they cant go toe to toe with warrior bc they get outtraded hard and are forced into dancing around them like a staff ele. I guess devs didnt get the meme and have ready plans to add split dmg to war. Oh wait, its ever going to happen and if it happened warrior community would go rampage (lmao) on them.

OP if you want keep your playstyle and trade with warriors go core rev. The sustain you can get is superior to herald and warriors have difficult time to outdmg you between IO and Jalis hammers and all the stuff in between. Herald is just not suited for any 1v1 tbh

Btw also swap to Swift. Its superior trait to AA

@"Scoobaniec.9561" said:I cage at people saying that rev has high dmg and dmg split here is for "balance" reasons yet they cant go toe to toe with warrior bc they get outtraded hard and are forced into dancing around them like a staff ele. I guess devs didnt get the meme and have ready plans to add split dmg to war. Oh wait, its ever going to happen and if it happened warrior community would go rampage (lmao) on them.

OP if you want keep your playstyle and trade with warriors go core rev. The sustain you can get is superior to herald and warriors have difficult time to outdmg you between IO and Jalis hammers and all the stuff in between. Herald is just not suited for any 1v1 tbh

Btw also swap to Swift. Its superior trait to AA

That was what I was doing really. Core rev feels better for 1v1 situations compared to herald for me. But there are so many heralds that can stand vs warriors so I wanted to learn how to do so. Thanks for the guys, I can try now :)Core rev feels really better for me. And I will try power renegade next, if that exists.

@alain.1659 said:I know that rev is weak vs conditions if not managed well, but I am talking about pure bash-your-head style power warrior. I am using marauder set, fireworks runes, zerker-soldier mix trinkets.

Warriors can easily have 3000+ armor while keeping 2500+ power and crit chances above 50% and near 200% crit damage, so going with power Herald with anything but berserkers stats will do minor damage to them, specially taking in consideration their HP regeneration rate and their passive defenses.

Revenants are also heavily dependent on might stacks and vulnerability aplication to do decent damage; vulnerability sources were largely neutered for us along 2018, and Spellbreakers can easily rip off our boons. Think that every time you activate their full counter you proc their damage reduction and also lose boons, so probably your damage is halved (or even worse) after that.

So, summarizing it: their armor is better, their passive defenses are better, their healing is better; they have more flexibility in stun breaks and cleansing and they don't rely so heavily in boons or debuffs to do proper damage. Their weapons of choice also do damage (yours falls to almost 0 each time you swap to staff). You can kill them when their passives are on cooldown if you catch them with cc and a couple of bursts, but chances are that any time a smart Warrior spend their defenses they disengage and reset the fight. In other words: is not expected for you to win as a power Rev vas a Warrior, specially with the stats available in WvW.

Against experienced core war > watch out when you use your sword's 3. There is a brief moment when you can do absolutely NO SHIT against comming bullcharge or Eviscerate (or any other burst skill) so make sure you either have a way of blinding them with facet of darkness active or dodging with riposting shadows as soon as you see the animation.Also I personally like surging more than fireworks because of stun shield. Just need to proc off their passive stability to time it properly (if they even have one). Enduring pain might be troublesome too but so far I've never had problems because I am always aware of it. Oh and ofc don't just activate facet of chaos' active especially if you screwed up your offense phase. Protection is very useful for prolonged trades and fight with wars will be a long one in most cases since you can't burst them down fast no matter what you do.There is also just experience factor but that comes with time. And yeah don't get tilted :D

@Buran.3796 said:

@"alain.1659" said:I know that rev is weak vs conditions if not managed well, but I am talking about pure bash-your-head style power warrior. I am using marauder set, fireworks runes, zerker-soldier mix trinkets.

Warriors can easily have 3000+ armor while keeping 2500+ power and crit chances above 50% and near 200% crit damage, so going with power Herald with anything but berserkers stats will do minor damage to them, specially taking in consideration their HP regeneration rate and their passive defenses.

Revenants are also heavily dependent on might stacks and vulnerability aplication to do decent damage; vulnerability sources were largely neutered for us along 2018, and Spellbreakers can easily rip off our boons. Think that every time you activate their full counter you proc their damage reduction and also lose boons, so probably your damage is halved (or even worse) after that.

So, summarizing it: their armor is better, their passive defenses are better, their healing is better; they have more flexibility in stun breaks and cleansing and they don't rely so heavily in boons or debuffs to do proper damage. Their weapons of choice also do damage (yours falls to almost 0 each time you swap to staff). You can kill them when their passives are on cooldown if you catch them with cc and a couple of bursts, but chances are that any time a smart Warrior spend their defenses they disengage and reset the fight. In other words: is not expected for you to win as a power Rev vas a Warrior, specially with the stats available in WvW.

"3000+ armor while keeping 2500+ power and crit chances above 50% and near 200% crit damage" sounds quite appealing, could you give an example of a build that can achieve this ? I´m just curious.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

@"alain.1659" said:I know that rev is weak vs conditions if not managed well, but I am talking about pure bash-your-head style power warrior. I am using marauder set, fireworks runes, zerker-soldier mix trinkets.

"3000+ armor while keeping 2500+ power and crit chances above 50% and near 200% crit damage" sounds quite appealing, could you give an example of a build that can achieve this ? I´m just curious.

I use something similar to this:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQFABWiDMlCQeLAgM1GZ1N8zb7t+C-jlhSwASU6FSJ4MdAA2fYq6PXUGQKgIWaB-w

@Loboling.5293 said:

I use something similar to this:

thanks

@"Arzurag.7506" said:

Something like this (2500/3700/19K/58%/190%):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3enMdAt6ideAOeAcigleAD/JXl7yGBgPwSDpGs46eA-jBCBABbcRAMU3QXKTyU9HvUaBwTAQSlgGt/Q4gAgFBYVlqqqSKAzlpB-e