New PvP Titles - Season 17

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks!

After the recent vote we had, and looking through the suggestions, we've decided to go with the nobility theme, but replace "of PvP" with "of the Arena."

1st: God/Goddess of the Arena2nd: Demigod/Demigoddess of the Arena3rd: King/Queen of the Arena4th-10th: Prince/Princess of the Arena11th–25th: Duke/Duchess of the Arena26th-100th: Baron/Baroness of the Arena101st–250th: Knight/Dame of the Arena

The current plan is to have this in place for season 17.

If you earned the current titles, they will not go away.

Thanks!

• ArenaNet Staff

@Meteor.3720 said:@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

It's something we talk about from time to time. 1st place has a good motivator to try to get it again as you can prevent others from getting it. Which has some value to some types of players.

We have some ideas of other things we can do. However, I think it's going to be quite a while before we have time to put more thought into it.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Meteor.3720 said:@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

It's something we talk about from time to time. 1st place has a good motivator to try to get it again as you can prevent others from getting it. Which has some value to some types of players.

We have some ideas of other things we can do. However, I think it's going to be quite a while before we have time to put more thought into it.

Make it work like exponents... if you have gotten top 250 twice... x2 next to title

What are these miserable supplements "... of the Arena"?Okay, leave the medieval titles aside, it's smth already, but there are easy ways to make titles not just distinctive for just PvP but at the same time make them enjoyable and so being kind of worthy for the efforts. I think most of players in top-250 are for quite a while playing in the same leagues and wont improve or regress much so just after one season with your system these new titles will become out of dated. Not telling they are just dull and not worthing it now.

Even such easy thing as just adding its own unique epithet for each individual number in the top 250 can improve the situation.The Gloomy princess for number 7, the Stinking baron for the 66th, the Azure king for 3, the Dame of slaughter for 150, and etc. and etc.And this will be funny, this will be more interactive. Not that it will take you a symposium of creators, one part-time student with a drop of humor for just one night could be enough.

I just hope that the last point of your "Own philosophy" - "strive for the fun", - was not just another piece of bullshit. As many things you do and say, dear anet, seems to be out-of-stream.

As long as there are so many cases of wintrading, and all those weird unpunished shenanigans between players like "afk after losing mid" then those titles are not too appealing to me.

EDIT:Actually, wouldn't it be better to give such titles in 2v2 setting instead for DUO or SOLO play in a FIVE VERSUS FIVE setting? Keep it consistent.