Game wont update -Connection Error Detected, Try Again

Having this problem also.

First i thought it was caused by my ZoneAlarm.But after trying a few different settings, temp disabling ZA or manually setting permissions for GW2, i got "Connection Error Detected, Try Again" error everytime.

(Also, the past few GW2 updates before the last one, i did not get a permissions pop-up for GW2 from ZA anymore.So, i had to set permissions manually for GW2. Then GW2 connected again.)

You can try using ArenaNet's main patch server using the option -assetsrv 64.25.41.2

If that fails, something is blocking the connection, whether it be software or something in between. You can rule out most other software by trying it under safe mode with networking enabled, using msconfig. You can reset your network protocols by running the following commands in an administrative prompt (cmd.exe):netsh winsock resetnetsh int ip reset

The problem may be outside of your control, which will require a VPN to resolve. For more info on what the launcher is actually doing, you can use the -log option, which saves to %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

@dagrdagaz.4913 said:A month ago i got a new gaming laptop (with Win10), but i still have my old gaming laptop (with Win7)With my old laptop i can connect, login and play GW2.

Is this your first time trying the new laptop? I'm assuming it's capable of accessing the internet? Right click Gw2-64.exe/Gw2.exe (if you're running Gw2Setup.exe, rename it to Gw2.exe and put it where you want to install it), select properties, and if it says the file came from another computer, unblock it. You could also try Windows 7 compatibility mode while you're there. Windows firewall should have had a popup when first running it, so ensure it hasn't been blocked. Any other security or network related software could be doing the same, so ensure that GW2 is being excluded. Under the control panel, search for network adapters and disable all of them except for the primary one that is used to access the internet. Run through Windows update and include the optional hardware/driver updates.

Laptops especially can come with a lot of junk software pre-installed. Rebooting into safe mode with networking enabled should have disabled 99% of that type of software, the exception being certain drivers and software that is hooked in deep enough that it's practically malware. Did you confirm that you could actually access the internet while like this by trying to access a website?

If you have GW2 already installed on your old laptop, note that you can avoid downloading the full game again by copying over your GW2 folder; it doesn't need to be installed.

I have been playing GW2 on my new laptop for 2 weeks now.Its a MSI gaming laptop, that surprisingly had little to none junk software pre installed !

I use ZoneAlarm and have Windows Defender disabled.And for two weeks i have been getting pop-ups from ZoneAlarm (after every GW2 update i got a new popup from ZA,until 1 or 2 updates ago).Yes, the internet i can access just fine on my new laptop.

Anyway, what eventually worked was;Deleting all GW2 files on my new laptop except the large data file.I then copied the 64bit GW2 exe from my old laptop to my new laptop.That worked, it connectedA small dowload, and i could login and play again!

Sorry for the late reply, i had some (other) Win10 problems to solve.

Archived