Please make keybinds unique to each characters thanks

This falls into the category of, "surely if it were feasible for them to do so, they would have done it long, long ago." It's an obvious QoL feature for folks with multiple alts. Even just allowing a per-profession set of binds would be helpful.

So I'm 100% sure they have considered it, reconsidered it, and just haven't figured out how to make it happen in the context of all the other good ideas they want to implement.

I'm not sure how obvious it is, if I hadn't seen other people requesting it I'd never have thought it's something anyone would want. Of course there's more than one person working at Anet and it's unlikely they all think the same, but maybe the team who designed this system agreed amongst themselves that universal keybindings are best, and everyone else assumed it couldn't be changed, or wasn't bothered by it enough to question it?

I certainly wouldn't object to them adding it, and I now know several people would find it useful. But I'd definitely want it to be optional. My other MMO uses individual keybindings for each character and I use an addon to copy the 1 set I use across to all of them because it's such a pain when I change something and then have to make exactly the same change another 7 times.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd definitely want it to be optional. My other MMO uses individual keybindings for each character and I use an addon to copy the 1 set I use across to all of them because it's such a pain when I change something and then have to make exactly the same change another 7 times.This right here! As a matter of fact, I'm currently playing a bit of that other MMO myself and am hating the fact that I have to adjust every single keybind on the new character I created last week when I already adjusted all of them on my other 7 characters. I like to have my movement keys, mount keys, assorted ui keys set up the same way in each game I play, and since most of them come with their own unique default setup, remembering everything and setting it up on a new character is often a nuisance for me.

goes off to hunt for that addon @Danikat.8537 mentioned

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Yet another of these threads?Guess I will just repeat myself. Having to redo my settings and keybinds for every new character was one of the things I hated about WoW.

If they spent resources to add this feature to the game, I would expect that they'd also include:

• A default set of keybindings that you can save and would automatically apply to each new character
  • The ability to save & load bindings

Although, to be fair, there are plenty of games that make it hard to do this, even though they implemented their keybinding long after such complaints were common in older games. (It's rather astounding how many times different companies will repeat mistakes made over the decades of game development — lots of things are matters of preferences... and yet plenty of things are universal in being annoying or disliked.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Mewcifer.5198 said:Yet
another
of these threads?Guess I will just repeat myself. Having to redo my settings and keybinds for every new character was one of the things I
hated
about WoW.

If they spent resources to
add
this feature to the game, I would expect that they'd also include:
  • A default set of keybindings that you can save and would automatically apply to each new character
  • The ability to save & load bindings

Although, to be fair, there are plenty of games that make it hard to do this, even though they implemented their keybinding long after such complaints were common in older games. (It's rather astounding how many times different companies will repeat mistakes made over the decades of game development — lots of things are matters of preferences... and yet plenty of things are universal in being annoying or disliked.)

I would hope that if they added this I would be able to save a default instead of the default just being the games default.

• 1 month later...

I genuinely dont understand all these people who oppose this change, I almost feel like these people are the ones holding this change back. Its not like it would take anything away from their ability to have the same keybinds on every character. If implemented correctly it would simply give a toggle option to have unique keybinds on that specific character.

For instance:Character A, B ,C and D all have the same binds by default. But I want character B to have a different set, because ,some ability that is similar to the ones on other characters, is on another bind. Maybe some ability that closes a gap or interupts. Atleast that is how I used to set up my binds. Keep spells that have similar effects on the same bind, so you dont have to mess with your muscle memory over and over again.Now all I need to do is go into my keybindings settings on character B and tick the box for "Character Specific Keybinds" and that character has unique binds. Mind you, this would not reset the binds to default, but rather any changes from there on are only on that specific char. Character A, C and D still have the same binds and also continue to share them, if one were to be changed on either of those.

It could look something like this: https://imgur.com/a/R9JFYZs

This gives you the freedom of customizing the binds for each individual character. And as they are all shared by default, there is no need to redo them everytime you create a new character. You simply add on to the existing changes you have done, and as I stated, if you so wish, change them from the ground up for one specific char.It would be completely optional, which is something I dont think the people talking down upon this change really understand..

I don't think anyone who has replied to this topic has actually said they're opposed to it, just that they would want options exactly like those you've suggested. Which in my experience are no where near universal or obvious to developers. In all the games I've played where it's possible to have different key bindings for new characters seperate keybindings are the default. Each time you make a new character they use the games original default key bindings and if you want any changes to that you have to go through and do them all manually, even if you're changing them to exactly the same set-up you're already using on another character.

As I said further up the topic in my other MMO (which is actually newer than GW2) the only way I was able to get the system you're describing, as if it's the standard implementation we should expect, was to install a 3rd party addon made by players because they hated the system the developers put in place enough to go out of their way to change it.

So no, I'm not opposed to seeing it added (and certainly not in any position to prevent Anet from doing it if they wanted to). I just want to make sure we get it implemented in a way which works for everyone instead of the way I've always seen it done by other developers.

While I understand people wanting character based keybinds, I'm glad the current system saves me from having to remake the same setup 36 times. I would have absolutely hated character based keybinds unless I could import the binds I use for other characters.Remaking my custom setup every time I made new characters in other MMOs was the worst part of character creation.

• 2 months later...

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:While I understand people wanting character based keybinds, I'm glad the current system saves me from having to remake the same setup 36 times. I would have absolutely hated character based keybinds unless I could import the binds I use for other characters.Remaking my custom setup every time I made new characters in other MMOs was the worst part of character creation.

How is that even possible??....that I have to remake my keybinds 36 times and more on every class and spec in GW2 and I haven't done such thing in other MMOs, rather than just drag and drop active skills around the bars as and where I decide them to be.. saving the single one scheme I used to invent and deploy. And you haven't discovered this opportunity in these other MMOs and happy to struck with sticky and dead bindings in GW2..

How is that even possible?

Overwhelming

i mean, isn't that a rightful demand of a player to decide how his controls will look like? no offense but this is just mindblowing for me :( booom

@walkingmind.1095 said:

@"Tzarakiel.7490" said:While I understand people wanting character based keybinds, I'm glad the current system saves me from having to remake the same setup 36 times. I would have absolutely hated character based keybinds unless I could import the binds I use for other characters.Remaking my custom setup every time I made new characters in other MMOs was the worst part of character creation.

How is that even possible??....that I have to remake my keybinds 36 times and more on every class and spec in GW2 and I haven't done such thing in other MMOs, rather than just drag and drop active skills around the bars as and where I decide them to be.. saving the single one scheme I used to invent and deploy. And you haven't discovered this opportunity in these other MMOs and happy to struck with sticky and dead bindings in GW2..

For a long time, SWTOR didn't have keybind load/save, and didn't have savable defaults(1) either, but it did have per-character keybinds, so please don't assume that "loadable sets" or "savable defaults" would automatically be included in the feature. It's just like when people propose adding duelling in the open world, and behave as if a checkbox to automatically decline duel requests would be included as a matter of course. SWTOR has duelling but still doesn't have an automatic decline option for duels. (It does for guild and party invites, but not duels. Duel spam is a thing.)

(1) It still doesn't have savable keybind defaults, and it still doesn't handle non US-QWERTY keyboards correctly.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Tzarakiel.7490" said:While I understand people wanting character based keybinds, I'm glad the current system saves me from having to remake the same setup 36 times. I would have absolutely hated character based keybinds unless I could import the binds I use for other characters.Remaking my custom setup every time I made new characters in other MMOs was the worst part of character creation.

For a long time, SWTOR didn't have keybind load/save, and didn't have savable defaults(1) either, but it did have per-character keybinds, so please don't assume that "loadable sets" or "savable defaults" would automatically be included in the feature. It's just like when people propose adding duelling in the open world, and behave as if a checkbox to automatically decline duel requests would be included as a matter of course. SWTOR has duelling but still doesn't have an automatic decline option for duels. (It does for guild and party invites, but not duels. Duel spam
is
a thing.)

(1) It still doesn't have savable keybind defaults, and it still doesn't handle non US-QWERTY keyboards correctly.

I didn't get it.It doesn't matter how this feature will be included in game. We just need it as a list of all of "musthave" default functionalities we used to have in other games (I wouldn't even say MMOs). We do not demand, we just with all due respect humbly ask our developers to do it. I only think there are no excuses for not doing that.I don't remember the exact chronology of SWTOR situation, even that I pre-ordered the game back then. But I do remember lack of interface customization at the launch and early period of the game. Bioware solved the problem pretty soon, didn't them?I mean.. uhh.. It's not about new game content or something, right?

@walkingmind.1095 said:

For a long time, SWTOR didn't have keybind load/save, and didn't have savable defaults(1) either, but it did have per-character keybinds, so please don't assume that "loadable sets" or "savable defaults" would automatically be included in the feature. It's just like when people propose adding duelling in the open world, and behave as if a checkbox to automatically decline duel requests would be included as a matter of course. SWTOR has duelling but still doesn't have an automatic decline option for duels. (It does for guild and party invites, but not duels. Duel spam
is
a thing.)

I didn't get it.It doesn't matter how this feature
will be
included in game. We just need it as a list of all of "musthave" default functionalities we used to have in other games (I wouldn't even say MMOs). We do not demand, we just with all due respect humbly ask our developers to do it. I only think there are no excuses for not doing that.

I wasn't saying that anyone was demanding anything. I want to make sure that people understand that it's a bad idea to assume that piece X (e.g. keybind load/save) of feature Y (e.g. per-character keybinds) that's commonly available in other games will automatically be included when Y is added to game Z.

I don't remember the exact chronology of SWTOR situation, even that I pre-ordered the game back then. But I do remember lack of interface customization at the launch and early period of the game. Bioware solved the problem pretty soon, didn't them?I mean.. uhh.. It's not about new game content or something, right?

No, it's not about new game content. I started SWTOR in March 2013, and there was already an interface editor for changing the layout of your quickbars and so on. Savable keybind sets came significantly later, with the release of 4.0 in October 2015, but the ability to set that keybind set as your preferred default is still missing, as is the automatic decline option for duel requests. But equally, I didn't intend that I was criticising you in particular about any of this.

! > @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:! > > @walkingmind.1095 said:! > > > @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:! > > > > @walkingmind.1095 said:! > > > > > @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:! > > > > > While I understand people wanting character based keybinds, I'm glad the current system saves me from having to remake the same setup 36 times. I would have absolutely hated character based keybinds unless I could import the binds I use for other characters.! > > > > > Remaking my custom setup every time I made new characters in other MMOs was the worst part of character creation.! > > > >! > > > > How is that even possible??..! > > > > ..that I have to remake my keybinds 36 times and more on every class and spec in GW2 and I haven't done such thing in other MMOs, rather than just drag and drop active skills around the bars as and where I decide them to be.. saving the single one scheme I used to invent and deploy. And you haven't discovered this opportunity in these other MMOs and happy to struck with sticky and dead bindings in GW2..! > > >! > > > For a long time, SWTOR didn't have keybind load/save, and didn't have savable defaults(1) either, but it did have per-character keybinds, so please don't assume that "loadable sets" or "savable defaults" would automatically be included in the feature. It's just like when people propose adding duelling in the open world, and behave as if a checkbox to automatically decline duel requests would be included as a matter of course. SWTOR has duelling but still doesn't have an automatic decline option for duels. (It does for guild and party invites, but not duels. Duel spam is a thing.)! > > >! > > > (1) It still doesn't have savable keybind defaults, and it still doesn't handle non US-QWERTY keyboards correctly.! > >! > > I didn't get it.! > > It doesn't matter how this feature will be included in game. We just need it as a list of all of "musthave" default functionalities we used to have in other games (I wouldn't even say MMOs). We do not demand, we just with all due respect humbly ask our developers to do it. I only think there are no excuses for not doing that.! >! > I wasn't saying that anyone was demanding anything. I want to make sure that people understand that it's a bad idea to assume that piece X (e.g. keybind load/save) of feature Y (e.g. per-character keybinds) that's commonly available in other games will automatically be included when Y is added to game Z.! >! > > I don't remember the exact chronology of SWTOR situation, even that I pre-ordered the game back then. But I do remember lack of interface customization at the launch and early period of the game. Bioware solved the problem pretty soon, didn't them?! > > I mean.. uhh.. It's not about new game content or something, right?! >! > No, it's not about new game content. I started SWTOR in March 2013, and there was already an interface editor for changing the layout of your quickbars and so on. Savable keybind sets came significantly later, with the release of 4.0 in October 2015, but the ability to set that keybind set as your preferred default is still missing, as is the automatic decline option for duel requests. But equally, I didn't intend that I was criticising you in particular about any of this.

Alright, thank you. I hope those things we've been talked will be finally implemented in our games we admire :) Hey there!

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The thing that makes this tricky is that you don't actually want unique keybinds per character. You want a few unique keybinds per character, like rearranging your profession-specific "F keys," and then like 98% of the stuff (pertaining to movement, camera, &c.) to be the same.

Arcdps allows per-profession keybinds. There are some problems with it though. I had to change some mount keybinds because they shared the same keybinds as skills. It seems when arcdps changes the keybinds for skills it would conflict with the mount keybinds and leave them blank. Works perfectly once I sorted that out.

Also you don't have to start from scratch with each character as some people are thinking. It just takes your current setup as default, then you can customize it from there.