reduce weapon swap to 5 sec for all professions — Guild Wars 2 Forums

reduce weapon swap to 5 sec for all professions

cuz 9 is too long and 5 would improve combat fluidity

reduce weapon swap to 5 sec for all professions 141 votes

yes
12%
Klowdy.3126sokeenoppa.5384Elmo Benchwarmer.3025Arkantos.7460Loboling.5293Fengzhou.9853cryonic.4826Kageseigi.2150Quadox.7834DudaMartins.8012Safandula.8723Iustitian.9176Trollocks.5084Maddog.3716Bumjho.3072wetshirt.5318Skiravor.1257 17 votes
no
70%
Red Haired Savage.5430Solori.6025DKShang.8792derd.6413runeblade.7514Durzlla.6295Ensign.2189Ayrilana.1396Kuulpb.5412Zaraki.5784Susy.7529Me Games Ma.8426Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497Warscythes.9307Lily.1935phokus.8934Lightbringer.5860yoni.7015Pterikdactyl.7630Shaogin.2679 99 votes
honey craisin muffin
17%
Glider.5792ZerOGenerations.5360Obtena.7952Westenev.5289LucianTheAngelic.7054Kylden Ar.3724Opal.9324Dadnir.5038choovanski.5462InsaneQR.7412Cyninja.2954Krypto.2069TheQuickFox.3826vesica tempestas.1563DanAlcedo.3281Sobx.1758Jack Redline.5379Pansoul.9436SoulSin.5682Skotlex.7580 25 votes
<1

Comments

  • Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    Cries in elementalist

    Pull the strings. Watch them dance.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    Defiantly a no. Just do it for warrior.

    No longer playing the game due to PvP being abandon.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    no

    Not all classes have access to weapon swap.. keep that in mind.

  • Only if all other profession mechanics were offered to all other professions, e.g. if Eles can swap attunements every 5 seconds, then Wars should get to swap from Fire to Air to Water to Earth, too.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Only if all other profession mechanics were offered to all other professions, e.g. if Eles can swap attunements every 5 seconds, then Wars should get to swap from Fire to Air to Water to Earth, too.

    I like this idea. Rampage would transform you into an avatar of whatever element you're attuned to. Fire would make each hit in rampage apply 10 stacks of burning, Air would give you pulsing quickness, water would give you heal on hit, and earth would give you 50% damage reduction from all sources. Flawless.

    No longer playing the game due to PvP being abandon.

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019
    honey craisin muffin

    @Zexanima.7851 said:
    Defiantly a no. Just do it for warrior.

    hahaha, I wonder why... :D

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Pretty sure I saw you in "the fh thread", so you probably understand why this poll is here :p

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    I think you're on to something.

    No longer playing the game due to PvP being abandon.

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    I am fairly disappointed in this community. I hoped for a 2-1 result in favor of the muffin.

  • BlackTruth.6813BlackTruth.6813 Member ✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    I can't handle a real debated and I'm intimidated by people with real arguments
    Also I'm a petty snowflake so I will make a thread to gather really fail data

    Fixed.

    1/10 meme.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @BlackTruth.6813 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    I can't handle a real debated and I'm intimidated by people with real arguments
    Also I'm a petty snowflake so I will make a thread to gather really fail data

    Fixed.

    1/10 meme.

    omg LOL. all over this. bahahahaha.

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    geez whats the big deal?

    edit
    and wait ppl actually go thru other ppls history? why lol.

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    geez whats the big deal?

    edit
    and wait ppl actually go thru other ppls history? why lol.

    To understand where their position is coming from. I try not to make generalized assumptions on a person's character. A tool like post history gives insight to understanding them better allowing me to communicate on their wavelength. In your case, and a few others, I pretty much read the thread to see what kind of toxic responses you get.

    Yeah me being respectful, it's a process...

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019

    @Justine.6351 said:
    To understand where their position is coming from. I try not to make generalized assumptions on a person's character. A tool like post history gives insight to understanding them better allowing me to communicate on their wavelength. In your case, and a few others, I pretty much read the thread to see what kind of toxic responses you get.

    ok, but to turn around and use someones own past against them is both petty and cruel. this aside I would be more interested to hear why you are against this idea.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Not all classes have access to weapon swap.. keep that in mind.

    so? that has no bearing on reducing weap swap on other classes. in fact, eles and engis have either no cd or a very short cd on their weap swap equivalent, so this argument makes no sense to me.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Only if all other profession mechanics were offered to all other professions, e.g. if Eles can swap attunements every 5 seconds, then Wars should get to swap from Fire to Air to Water to Earth, too.

    But the weaponswap is not a profession's mechanism.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:
    Not all classes have access to weapon swap.. keep that in mind.

    so? that has no bearing on reducing weap swap on other classes. in fact, eles and engis have either no cd or a very short cd on their weap swap equivalent, so this argument makes no sense to me.

    It does though. This means all professions that use weapon swap get a buff while ele and engi remain unchanged. It would basically make ele and engi weaker overall.

    No longer playing the game due to PvP being abandon.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zexanima.7851 said:
    It does though. This means all professions that use weapon swap get a buff while ele and engi remain unchanged. It would basically make ele and engi weaker overall.

    hmm alright. engi is in a fine spot atm, so altho its still effected engi builds would still be fine in the current meta. now ele is in a different category by itself. I dunno whats gotta happen to make them better, weap swap buff or not. that being said, it seems wrong to deny a sweet buff to most classes simply cuz ele is bad.

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Justine.6351 said:
    To understand where their position is coming from. I try not to make generalized assumptions on a person's character. A tool like post history gives insight to understanding them better allowing me to communicate on their wavelength. In your case, and a few others, I pretty much read the thread to see what kind of toxic responses you get.

    ok, but to turn around and use someones own past against them is both petty and cruel. this aside I would be more interested to hear why you are against this idea.

    Dude, lol? We ain't talking 5 to 10 years ago. It's stuff from last month.

    Against the idea because I haven't seen a good excuse to change it other than "because".

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    If you're going to bring drugs, you have to bring enough to share with the entire class.

    How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

    Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Justine.6351 said:
    Dude, lol? We ain't talking 5 to 10 years ago. It's stuff from last month.

    Against the idea because I haven't seen a good excuse to change it other than "because".

    what I meant by combat fluidity are cds pretty much. for example, necro with axe and gs. it would make sense to actually take the weapon traits to reduce their cds so that they could be used right after weapon swap. also dagger might be more attractive since imo the #2-3 skills are good but the auto sucks. lower weap swap cd also means you can adapt to the situation better.

  • no

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    it seems wrong to deny a sweet buff to most classes simply cuz ele is bad.

    Balance : am I a joke to you?

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    Elementalist says: "Meh".

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    This thread needs more muffin!

  • Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    I'm conflicted.

    As a revenant, it's less time stuck on staff.

    As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

    As any other class, I suspect there will be some really work intensive meta rotations that will make my fingers bleed more than they already do. That's a bad thing in my book, but your milage my vary...

  • Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Remove weapon swap CD entirely. Give weapon swap a 0.75s cast.
    Elementalist and Engineer kits retain instant swap.
    All other profession-based "form changes" (i.e. Photon Forge, pet merge, Berserker mode, Druid mode, etc) all receive a 0.75s activation respectively.

  • no

    question: whats a craisin?

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DragonSlayer.1087 said:
    question: whats a craisin?

    cranberry that has been raisinized.

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

    What? Why? <.<

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019
    honey craisin muffin

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    Funny how even after checking someone's post history you failed to realize what's the context of creating this thread. :anguished:

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    Funny how even after checking someone's post history you failed to realize what's the context of creating this thread. :anguished:

    The context can be summed up like this,

    Knighthonor
    Anput
    Hitman
    Eremiteangel (is a nice person so I regret comparing to these others)
    Standthewall

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019
    honey craisin muffin

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

    What? Why? <.<

    Since inititive is universal between weaponsets, which generally promotes "One Main Weapon + Shortbow" synergy. I could see some synergy with Quick Pockets (in the Trickery Traitline, which has an icd of 8 seconds), but on hit-sigils are generally on 9 second internal cooldowns anyway.

    Since I don't take Trickery in PvE (my primary game mode), I wouldn't see the need in taking a 2nd weaponset over my shortbow (outside of niche situations) because most thief weapons are, for the most part, multipurpose. When I need to take my shortbow out (especially in WvW or PvP), things have hit the fan, so I'm rarely watching the cooldown wishing... "man, I wish this was faster..."

    Perhaps a better thief with better inititive management could make use of a 5 second weapon cooldown, but it would be useless for me.

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Justine.6351 said:

    @Edge.8724 said:
    I feel that this post is trying to be a troll.

    Sadly it's not. Players like this actually exist. Check his discussion history.

    Funny how even after checking someone's post history you failed to realize what's the context of creating this thread. :anguished:

    The context can be summed up like this,

    Knighthonor
    Anput
    Hitman
    Eremiteangel (is a nice person so I regret comparing to these others)
    Standthewall

    Great non-answer.
    Also no. :sleeping:

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Westenev.5289 said:

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Westenev.5289 said:
    As a thief, there's no benefit to this idea.

    What? Why? <.<

    Since inititive is universal between weaponsets, which generally promotes "One Main Weapon + Shortbow" synergy. I could see some synergy with Quick Pockets (in the Trickery Traitline, which has an icd of 8 seconds), but on hit-sigils are generally on 9 second internal cooldowns anyway.

    Since I don't take Trickery in PvE (my primary game mode), I wouldn't see the need in taking a 2nd weaponset over my shortbow (outside of niche situations) because most thief weapons are, for the most part, multipurpose. When I need to take my shortbow out (especially in WvW or PvP), things have hit the fan, so I'm rarely watching the cooldown wishing... "man, I wish this was faster..."

    Perhaps a better thief with better inititive management could make use of a 5 second weapon cooldown, but it would be useless for me.

    So not useless for a thief, but maybe useless for you :p It's more of a situational thing, but you had something in mind while writing that and that actually makes sense, ty for the answer

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Justine.6351 said:
    snips

    oh stop it Justine, you're not fooling anyone. I know you're my # 1 fan!

  • fluidmonolith.3584fluidmonolith.3584 Member ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019
    no

    I'd rather see no cooldown on weapon swap, but instead a 0.5 sec cast time. Warrior's Fast Hands can reduce it to 0.25 sec.
    This would make it more like an action or fps game.

  • Jack Redline.5379Jack Redline.5379 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    and a diet soda

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jack Redline.5379 said:
    and a diet soda

    goin diet on me eh. I can dig it.

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Jack Redline.5379 said:
    and a diet soda

    Sounds like it would improve fluidity, so there's no possible argument against it.

  • archmagus.7249archmagus.7249 Member ✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    I'm an engineer, so weapon swap need not apply. 1s kit swap cooldown.

    @fluidmonolith.3584 said:
    I'd rather see no cooldown on weapon swap, but instead a 0.5 sec cast time. Warrior's Fast Hands can reduce it to 0.25 sec.
    This would make it more like an action or fps game.

    It used to be instant in beta, but they changed it because of how fast engineers were stowing kits using the swap weapon key.

  • no

    Imagine doing that, it will required to rebalance every class ha nice meme bro. Also it keeps the skill gap between a button smasher and someone with skill.

  • Jack Redline.5379Jack Redline.5379 Member ✭✭✭✭
    honey craisin muffin

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @Jack Redline.5379 said:
    and a diet soda

    goin diet on me eh. I can dig it.

    NOICE ;3

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    so is there one solid argument against this other than "b 2 stronk"?

  • yusayu.3629yusayu.3629 Member ✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Only if all other profession mechanics were offered to all other professions, e.g. if Eles can swap attunements every 5 seconds, then Wars should get to swap from Fire to Air to Water to Earth, too.

    Don't overload the brains of poor Warrior players. They might get confused when they have to press more than 3 different buttons.

  • aymnad.9023aymnad.9023 Member ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019
    no

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    so is there one solid argument against this other than "b 2 stronk"?

    So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction? The same “argument” can be made for your suggestion (just change it cuz lol why not). Nobody who voted in favor commented on why it will be better.

    My answer is NO.
    First of all, for convenience. The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window. So when you swap you have the talent ready. This makes it easy to understand for any player and makes some talents more balanced. Will all the talents be redesigned for this 5s window? All the bonuses on swap will be halfed or stay the same ? Quick draw on ranger can already be strong.
    Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation. I cannot guess how it will affect rotations here, maybe players will find a use of this shorter swap, but those I know go slightly above the 9s mark. From a balance perspective.
    Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay : (also it favors more some classes than others) A thief on shortbow who decides to engage with dagger or sword when he should not will just dodge twice OR use the dodge on his weapon twice OR daggerstorm and already have shortbow available to run away. Players do not understand the game better if they can do whatever they want.
    **Shorter cd does not open counterplay : ** I am going to pick my longbow / sword ranger as an example. What is the best option vs a longbow player? Getting on top of the LB user. In pvp if I open sword, swap to longbow and a warrior jumps on me then I have to back fast, there will be a few seconds where I cannot fight because I need to heal and am blocked by the war. With the shorter cd I can go stealth on LB 3 and I already am ready to have my sword to gain distance or fight him without any drawback. If I open with LB and go to sword when I cannot engage, I am ready faster to hit again. So you allow me to kite and do dmg all day when the war is going to be more limited by his cd to catch me.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @aymnad.9023 said:
    So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction?
    The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window.
    Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation.
    Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay :
    **Shorter cd does not open counterplay : **

    childlike reaction? haha dood settle. this isn't healthcare we're arguing over.
    obviously some traits would have to be changed and some weapon cds increased, not like it would be that hard. high mobility would see a boost vs pure melee, but a class like thief can already disengage at will. allowing it more control over the fight wouldn't matter much since they already have many times more control then other classes. classes with a ranged weapon would be able to adapt just like the mobile kiter, so thief vs engi wouldn't see a difference of result. faster weapon swap means you can adapt to a situation much quicker, for example if you're fighting someone and someone else jumps in. I don't think shorter weap swap makes gameplay makes combat smarter or dumber, it just changes the pace and speeds up the result. good point about ranged and kiting. ranger would get stronger then it already is with its high ranged damage and good mobility, so something would have to be changed.

  • Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭
    no

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:

    @aymnad.9023 said:
    So you post something, you see all the answers and you have this very child like reaction?
    The current on swap talents are designed around this 9s window.
    Why do we change weapon? For rotations or to adapt to a situation.
    Shorter cd does not encourage smarter gameplay :
    **Shorter cd does not open counterplay : **

    childlike reaction? haha dood settle. this isn't healthcare we're arguing over.
    obviously some traits would have to be changed and some weapon cds increased, not like it would be that hard. high mobility would see a boost vs pure melee, but a class like thief can already disengage at will. allowing it more control over the fight wouldn't matter much since they already have many times more control then other classes. classes with a ranged weapon would be able to adapt just like the mobile kiter, so thief vs engi wouldn't see a difference of result. faster weapon swap means you can adapt to a situation much quicker, for example if you're fighting someone and someone else jumps in. I don't think shorter weap swap makes gameplay makes combat smarter or dumber, it just changes the pace and speeds up the result. good point about ranged and kiting. ranger would get stronger then it already is with its high ranged damage and good mobility, so something would have to be changed.

    How about those with no swaps, that is if all traits were perfectly adjusted?

    Pull the strings. Watch them dance.

  • aymnad.9023aymnad.9023 Member ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019
    no

    what you wrote was only 1 argument + "b 2 strong" . This denigrates the opposite point of vue, like people are stubborn and are so bad they do not even care to write properly. Maybe you had something else in mind, but this is the message I read with this choice of words.
    I did nt think about touching the weapons cd. It can help this kind of change but you also have to rethink the dmg or effects on some those skills too.

    Pve perspective : I do not know. Open world you can do great with a lot of options. For fractals and raids if rotations change it does not matter to me as long as most weapons have a use (even a niche one).
    Pvp perspective : This is the one that bothers me the most. The design of the classes/elite specs already makes them stand out somewhere. Making thief more elusive, any tanky weapon passively better can be dangerous (and harder to balance than you might think). I say passively because even though the cd is the same, it is available more often. I took thief as an example but it could be a guard sword + shield, a ranger GS, …. Once you use a skill you stay some time with the weapon. If you swap to get an advantage of a weapon A and realize you will need B this gives people an opportunity to punish you. Now this window is much shorter. Why do I focus on defensive skills and not offensive ones ? Because the time you earn by dodging stays the same and people already take care to time/chain the offensive ones (most of the time).

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.