Anyone else run Shield on a DPS build?

Turkeyspit.3965

I know that Focus, and to an extent I guess, Torch, is the preferred DPS offhand for a Power DPS build. But way back when I created my Guard, I remember thinking: "No, he wears heavy armor, is basically a paladin or knight, if his going to use an offhand, it will be a shield, not some wishy-washy focus or flaming stick."

I was new to the game when I made him, but to this day, I'm still very much a fan of the shield.

Shield #4 was a great way to give Aegis to party members in a fractal, and as I used to run Core Guard, an extra way to apply Aegis to myself helped to maintain Unscathed CommanderShield #5 I've always found very useful. At it's least, I can get a quick heal on demand. But while many would look at the projectile defense as it's main advantage, I've found using it to push enemies back (which also acts as interrupt) can be very useful. I've used it to deal with the spawning shaman in the 1st Shaman fight in Volcanic, as well as the spawning Elementals in Snowblind.

Things have changed a lot since then though, as I now have way more resources at my finger tips, so I could easily get myself an ascended focus or torch. My question is though, is it worth it? I'm not really looking to break DPS records or anything, so unless there is a huge DPS bump, that isn't what drives me.

What do you like about Focus or Torch for OW PvE / Fractal play? What are their advantages?

Yup ... I use it to get 100% uptime on retal which is awesome with Rad and getting Aegis procs in Zeal/Virtues

I mean, Torch is for condi, so if you aren't running FB ... don't use itI gave up on Focus a while back, though it might be good now. Have to check metabattle/Snowcrow if you want to see if meta.

@EnidLarr.1478 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:For champ solos and break bars.Sword and board and mace focus.I made an old perma block build and used it for HoT.Haven't played it for a long time though.

For benchmarks I wouldn't recommend it though.

Mind showing your perma block build? thx

Its not really viable anymore. It was nice before they nerfed F3 on DH and some other stuff.The current core guard crit guard was pretty much what I ran but with other utilities like the stunbreak trap, renewed focus and shelter etc.

I am currently working on a new one. Maybe I share that concoction with you when I am done.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:For champ solos and break bars.Sword and board and mace focus.I made an old perma block build and used it for HoT.Haven't played it for a long time though.

Its not really viable anymore. It was nice before they nerfed F3 on DH and some other stuff.The current core guard crit guard was pretty much what I ran but with other utilities like the stunbreak trap, renewed focus and shelter etc.

I am currently working on a new one. Maybe I share that concoction with you when I am done.

that's cool man and yeah i am seeking more guardian "NON-condi" builds. I currently have QuickHealerBrand, PowerQuickBrand, and currently messing with a DH, and the fun of that is the build is Healer-DH-DPS, still need CoE runes, but so far, this build has around 12k dps with no food and proper runes at SC setting golem and environment. I expect 16k dps in full build, and then the cool part of that is I make not bad DPS but having burst heals that can full heal the group within range, then not bad staff 2 heals!

@EnidLarr.1478 said:

that's cool man and yeah i am seeking more guardian "NON-condi" builds. I currently have QuickHealerBrand, PowerQuickBrand, and currently messing with a DH, and the fun of that is the build is Healer-DH-DPS, still need CoE runes, but so far, this build has around 12k dps with no food and proper runes at SC setting golem and environment. I expect 16k dps in full build, and then the cool part of that is I make not bad DPS but having burst heals that can full heal the group within range, then not bad staff 2 heals!

Well...I have to dissapoint you it my new tank build will be an FB build. I played DH way to long and need some change of pace.It will be a virtue, honor and FB.But I will focus it on tanking and blocking and healing myself doing so.Maybe with some zealot gear.Probably Axe/Shield and Sword /Focus or mace and focus and sword and board.

Still looking for a good gear combination.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Well...I have to dissapoint you it my new tank build will be an FB build. I played DH way to long and need some change of pace.It will be a virtue, honor and FB.But I will focus it on tanking and blocking and healing myself doing so.Maybe with some zealot gear.Probably Axe/Shield and Sword /Focus or mace and focus and sword and board.

My current DH build combines Zerker and Zealot, since I have no access to Golem runes, I use Eagle, looks ok so far.Zealot (Staff) - Renew/TransferenceZerker (GS/Scepter/Foci) Force&ImpactZealot (Full armor set) Eagle runesZerker+Val (Amulet and both earrings)Zerker (rings)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNArdWn8ABFChVBBedCkdilBiS+6z+z3KAq2CA7Eah4E-jxSBABzs/Ae6BuSph+HBgT1EAwDAw4TAgZKBxSZ2zHCgUV/hUAcu1C-e

I felt like playing healer class in WoW lol

@EnidLarr.1478 said:

My current DH build combines Zerker and Zealot, since I have no access to Golem runes, I use Eagle, looks ok so far.Zealot (Staff) - Renew/TransferenceZerker (GS/Scepter/Foci) Force&ImpactZealot (Full armor set) Eagle runesZerker+Val (Amulet and both earrings)Zerker (rings)

I felt like playing healer class in WoW lol

Well that's what I am faffing arround with:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse5dnsADFBj1BBeDBkCjF+BLrCdh2QYBgZQRYPj+RPpA-jBC9gAJ6BwU/BV5H5JBoWJIimBg9HUeCAAA-e

Its more buff focused and heals quiet good when you block with aegis and spams aegis and other boons. It's more tank oriented not really heal focussed.

Also doable with DH, like something on these lines:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAse5dnsABFdi1BBeDBkdiF+hKrCvwNUu8X/4HLAmhiA-jBC9gAJ6BA2fAV5HimByTCAm6P1KBVeCAAA-e

I prefer Shield over Focus with power Guardian.Shield has needful utility tricks:1) Protection from Deadeye - not only it protects from shots, but also you are buying time for your Sword#2 skill to refresh (teleport).2) See downed ally - you teleport from a distance, then immediately use Shield#5 to knockback enemies around which gives another 2-4seconds for resurrecting.3) Similar to p.2 - when cleaving downed enemy you can use Shield#5 to knockback enemies who will try to resurrect him or provide protection while one of your allies do cleaving (good vs ranged bros).4) Shield #5 provides small healing (~1300hp - don't remember well, sry) to you and your teammates - can't be too much healing.Of course, not always it works because stability may be applied and some ranged attacks (mesmer) can penetrate shield dome - so be careful with that.These four features alone makes Shield superior to other offhand options (also it compliments for Guardian as team-helper, a little bit).

@""Ashimmu.4219"I am not really sure but for me DPS means PvE oriented builds.This does not invalidate the mentioning of shields utility though.I love shield for the same reasons it's a good utility weapon.

I wonder how shield of the avenger does now perform when it's ground targeted.I mean it's a blast and is projectile hate that spams weakness. In the jungle this is surely glorious.