HoT Attunement Potion function?

I haven't bothered using the Potions of Verdant/Auric/Tangled Attunement, mostly because I haven't actually figured out how they work.

Because from how I read the function on the wiki, it really seems absolutely pointless!"+5% Increase to Map Bonus" seems like it'll make every event give 105 point to the [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward]("map bonus reward track") instead of 100, but as rewards are given at even 200 points that would mean no difference for 34 events and getting a reward again on the 35th event instead of the 36th. Is this really how it works?

Or do they increase the amount of Map Currency you get from the Map Bonus by 5%? A much simpler, and much more valuable, function but not at all what the wiki indicates...

I'm well aware that the wiki is player maintained, I just have a hard time imagining I'm the first to wonder about this...

tl;dr At their most useful, Attunement pots were more trouble than they were worth. Even then, it is better to do one more event than worry about double-clicking the potion(s).

The potions were important when HoT launched. It was harder to build up and harder to maintain participation for those four maps. For example, to encourage people to see an event chain through to completion, if you jumped around (as a lot of karma/loot/currency hunters do), you might not get credit.

The Attunement potions fit in with this: they increased the rate of gain, so you'd need to do fewer events to reach 100%. In theory, if you had the buff when the events completed, you'd also get more rewards and be in better shape when the map meta rewards were handed out.

On the other hand, they suffered two problems: they are a relatively minor buff, so they made the difference between doing 4 events or 5. And they expire quickly, and cannot be stacked for duration. So even at their most useful, lots of people didn't bother; it was just too much trouble to keep an eye on the buff, instead of finding a way to do one more event.

For a variety of reasons, that system was gutted. The per-event participation credit was increased a bit, you no longer could lose credit (even though the message saying you can still appears sometimes), the thresholds for map bonuses was adjusted. In short, the value of the attunement potion went from minor to negligible.

The amount one can gain by keeping the buff on through e.g. Tarir meta... is now so minor that I didn't bother keeping my notes from years ago, when I compared buffed with unbuffed. (It's not zero is the nicest thing I can say about it.)

By far the worst fault of the system, then & now, is that the one map that could really make use of attunement buffs never had it: Dragons Stand has no corresponding potion, and yet that's the place that people have the most difficulty getting "local" currency. The other maps all have peak and off-peak options; DS ...not so much.

Unfortunately ANet never removed the Attunement potions.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:For a variety of reasons, that system was gutted. The per-event participation credit was increased a bit, you no longer could lose credit (even though the message saying you can still appears sometimes), the thresholds for map bonuses was adjusted. In short, the value of the attunement potion went from minor to negligible.

You definitely can still lose participation credit. The falsely appearing messages are only those that appear after the event has already ended and for some that you never participated in because you weren't even in the map when they occured.

However even if you lose credit you still get the bouncy chest reward. You just miss out on the karma/exp rewards and credit towards achievements that requires event completion such as the ones for completing specific events of each camp or stuff like Verdant Brink event daily.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:tl;dr At their most useful, Attunement pots were more trouble than they were worth. Even then, it is better to do one more event than worry about double-clicking the potion(s).

The potions were important when HoT launched. It was harder to build up and harder to maintain participation for those four maps. For example, to encourage people to see an event chain through to completion, if you jumped around (as a lot of karma/loot/currency hunters do), you might not get credit.

The Attunement potions fit in with this: they increased the rate of gain, so you'd need to do fewer events to reach 100%. In theory, if you had the buff when the events completed, you'd also get more rewards and be in better shape when the map meta rewards were handed out.

So contrary to what the tooltip really say, what they're interacting with is participation rather than actual map bonus? Wow, that's... almost even more pointless than I thought....

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:So contrary to what the tooltip really say, what they're interacting with is participation rather than actual map bonus? Wow, that's... almost even more pointless than I thought....

It amounts to the same thing. I wouldn't get hung up on the jargon. Either way, the theory was, you'd get more loot for the same effort in the same period of time.

The entire thing regarding attunement potions is, to me, ambiguous at best. As far as things go, the effect you are getting is the bonus of invisible points that dictate when/if you get the listed map bonus reward (seen under the area title in the Map screen). There's a Wiki article about map bonus reward here. The better you do in participation, the more 'points' you get that go towards earning that map bonus. And as most of the people already conveyed, a lot of the map-specific currency is tied to the containers and key-use chests in the map. Getting these bonuses get you the containers and keys, specifically. The attunement potion just lets you get them slightly faster (due to more 'points').

But you should dedicate whatever time the attunement duration speaks of to the map, as well as have EVERYTHING you need -- once you change map, that bonus drops.

(Oh, and by the way, don't forget that after a while, repeated event clears may cause a reduction of points -- beware of diminishing returns! These revert at reset day!)

They would at least be worth caring about if the percent was higher considering the short duration. To get anything out of it for it's duration you would have to be completing an event around every 2.5 minutes.

@altermaven.7385 said:Getting these bonuses get you the containers and keys, specifically. The attunement potion just lets you get them slightly faster (due to more 'points').

The map bonuses for HoT maps do not give you any keys.

@Khisanth.2948 said:They would at least be worth caring about if the percent was higher considering the short duration. To get anything out of it for it's duration you would have to be completing an event around every 2.5 minutes.

@altermaven.7385 said:Getting these bonuses get you the containers and keys, specifically. The attunement potion just lets you get them slightly faster (due to more 'points').

The map bonuses for HoT maps do not give you any keys.

Eep! Good catch. Though completing events do give you the opportunity to acquire said keys.

Archived