Elemental Attunement — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Elemental Attunement

Not a major issue in the large scheme of things, but one Quality of Life fix I think it'd be great to see would be taking the buffs that are handed out on attunement switch from Elemental Attunement and granting them to the individual trait lines.

If I take Earth into combat, the best access to protection requires me to trait into it, and only happens when gaining auras (which can happen a lot or very little depending on other trait lines and weapon sets equipped). If I take Air into combat, I have to trait to get superspeed on attunement switch, giving up a damage buff or an aura buff -- and the aura buff is also the only other way to get swiftness out of the tree.

Seems pretty weird to me then that by going Arcane I get ready access to regen, swiftness, protection and might. I would love it if that trait stayed in Arcane, as it is, as a group buff, but by going into Fire / Air / Earth or Water you gained, without having to give up a trait for it, the minor buff associated with that traitline (or make it baseline that all attunements grant a personal buff associated with that attunement?).

I had a lot of fun last off season playing around with various fire/earth sword condi builds. They were awful - you melted in no time at all and had nowhere near enough condi cleanse / conversely could not damage those who did. But one of the issues with trying out these different lines was the lack of easy swiftness & protection access which is basically mandatory to survive in melee with a low health pool.

I don't think making either of these changes would in any way risk making ele too strong in any of the 3 game modes, but it would be inching other things towards viability and breaking up the x / arcane / water holy trinity of ele pvp. Arcane would still be very worth considering for its other buffs, but it would be slightly more of a choice, instead of baseline required. Besides, inching slowly towards better balance seems to me vastly more desirable than the massive nerfs / buffs we often see thrown around.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.